Saturday, September 18, 2:00 PM
at the Post Theater on Sandy Hook

Fort Hancock Public Meeting
National Park Service Representatives,
Associate Regional Director Bob Macintosh
and
Associate Regional Director David Hellenberg
will be on hand to answer questions

**************************************************************************************************
Monday Letters to the Press

Published in the Asbury Park Press 9/13/04
Leave the Hook untouched

I am totally opposed to any redevelopment at the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area, particularly at Fort Hancock.
I have lived in the Shore area all my life. I came to live in the Bayshore area in the early 1980s and made a magnificent discovery -- the peaceful, beautiful place called Sandy Hook.

I have accompanied children on class trips to the park and Girl Scouts on overnight camping trips. I have also brought my own children and their friends to this location for years to roam freely and discover something of our nation's history.

Sandy Hook is one of the few remaining places in the state that is not destroyed by overdevelopment, and children are amazed by what they discover there. They go away feeling enlightened and wanting to learn more.

My children have attended high school at the Marine Academy of Science & Technology, a pristine environment for children to learn and grow in.

There is nothing to gain by handing over this national landmark to greedy developers. I would much prefer to see it crumble to the bottom of the Atlantic -- leave the place alone.

Mary DeAngelo
HAZLET

*** NOTE ***

The National Park Service Organic Act of Aug. 25, 1916, states that the NPS "shall promote and regulate the use of the federal areas known as national parks ... by such means and measures as conform to the fundamental purposes of the said parks ... to conserve the scenery and the natural and historic objects and the wildlife therein ... by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations." Private for-profit use for 60 years of public parklands leaves portions of the Hook unequivocally impaired for future generations. The NPS founding document states that "no natural curiosities, wonders, or objects of interest shall be leased, rented, or granted to anyone on such terms as to interfere with free access to them by the public"

quoted from
the hub Red Bank, NJ August 6, 2004
Editorial Your turn
Carole Balmer Guest Column
Demand congressional probe into Hook leasing

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.