BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going on a year and a half now and still waiting to get my baby back... Bought April before the storm, I literally put my house on the line and bought my dream sportfish boat. 04 luhrs 38 express! Sandy ripped my dreams away after the best season of my life for myself, the wife, and my crew of 5 kids.

Anyways, boat was insured for $150k and origional estimate of damage from repair facility was $100k. Insurance estimate was a little lower but they stepped up and cut me check, which I paid up front. (I know, mistake). Also, there was a $25k addendum for electronics that was paid already by insurance.

Here comes the big whammy, a year and a half later, all ready to get my rig home, and I get an additional bill from repair facility for $24k:eek: all items were storm related and were on either ins or repair facilities origional estimates. Insurance says it's between myself and the repair facility and they were done paying for the most part. I did not sign anything other than origional $100k estimate and $25k for additional electronics, both which are paid.

Don't know what to do and getting Sooooo worried. Was hoping to get someone here that can steer me in the right direction on how to proceed with this. Repair facility has my baby so I don't want to start a war with them, just want my boat back without coming out of my pocket more than my 1500 deductable...

Have had some great help from the barn over the years and figured I would throw it out there...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Damn Rich that sucks. I don't think they can bill you for more than they estimated and were payed already, as long as there were no extras. I know in the Autobody business it works that way. Once the insurance pays they'll either write a supplement check or not pay. The customer is only responsible for their deductible.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The first thing I would do I settle my bill with the yard for my winter storage and have my boat put in the water. This way you have your boat and don't have to worry about missing your fishing season.

Next, I assume your yard gave you estimates for all repair work consisting of parts and labor. Check that the work specified by the insurance company/ boat yard is actually what they performed. If they gave you an estimate for $3000 for parts and 120hr labor @$95 and charge you double you have a legitimate claim.

24k estimate is a lot of work. I don't understand how they could have missed that originally. It sounds like this might be incompetence on the part of your yard.

Also make sure that all the work/ parts you already paid for was actually done.

I dealt with many Sandy related boat claims all on inboard boats over 30ft. I can tell you this- don't trust anyone- not your yard or insurance company. Check and double check that the work was actually performed, math on bills is correct, part prices match the Mesco book.

Without having your Insurance survey report and estimates in front of me it is hard to speculate exactly what happened.

Did you at any point authorize them to perform this work? What type of additional damage could cost 24k?

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
If the 24 k worth of work was covered by the original 100k estimate then you need to go to the yard and have them explain the additional charges... if it wasn't covered under the initial estimate and if it was extra, then they would have had to get authorization for those with signatures from you and also have to be submitted to the insurance company to see if they are covered, if not then you would be liable for those charges. Either way there should be a paper trail showing the discrepancy. Something sounds fishy or perhaps they miscalculated something.

·
Registered
718 Posts
going on a year and a half now and still waiting to get my baby back... Bought April before the storm, I literally put my house on the line and bought my dream sportfish boat. 04 luhrs 38 express! Sandy ripped my dreams away after the best season of my life for myself, the wife, and my crew of 5 kids.

Anyways, boat was insured for $150k and origional estimate of damage from repair facility was $100k. Insurance estimate was a little lower but they stepped up and cut me check, which I paid up front. (I know, mistake). Also, there was a $25k addendum for electronics that was paid already by insurance.

Here comes the big whammy, a year and a half later, all ready to get my rig home, and I get an additional bill from repair facility for $24k:eek: all items were storm related and were on either ins or repair facilities origional estimates. Insurance says it's between myself and the repair facility and they were done paying for the most part. I did not sign anything other than origional $100k estimate and $25k for additional electronics, both which are paid.

Don't know what to do and getting Sooooo worried. Was hoping to get someone here that can steer me in the right direction on how to proceed with this. Repair facility has my baby so I don't want to start a war with them, just want my boat back without coming out of my pocket more than my 1500 deductable...

Have had some great help from the barn over the years and figured I would throw it out there...
I seen her up on the hard at the facility she looks good. Hope it all works out for you

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
o

Sorry, been busy but thank you for the replies. Been nailing down the bills and have noticed several discrepancies that I will be discussing with them in person this week. Several 5k plus discrepancies:thumbsdown: I definitely did not sign off on any additional work.

I will post up how things play out and see how my conversations this week pan out before making any big decisions on going at the repair facility.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Who is your insurance through? They should be able to issue supplemental payments to cover the additional costs as long as it was hurricane damage.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who is your insurance through? They should be able to issue supplemental payments to cover the additional costs as long as it was hurricane damage.
Travelers... Service as per conversation the past two days with service, they feel confident ins will step up for this final bill. There were a couple small things they are looking for me to pay for, but far from 24k. Just want to get on my boat finally and get my season going!!!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Travelers is typically a very good insurance company. Have you talked to your agent? Are they helping you through the claims process?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.