BASS BARN banner

Saragosa vs saltist

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  amber lee 
#1 ·
Which reel would be better for jigging larger offshore fish? And could either handle a decent sized tuna? thanks for the input in advance.

#2 ·
I only have experience with Daiwa. I would have no problem with the Saltist, but you should get plenty of input from the Shimano guys here soon. I figured I would jump start it for you by saying Daiwa. :D

In all fairness, I absolutely love 2 manufacturers, one is Canyon, other is Daiwa. So my input is going to be based on my experiences. I use these 2 brands for everything. Good luck, should be interesting to hear the posts. Both are worthy. :)

#7 · (Edited)
There are a few new choices on the market worth considering I think if you are talking NJ tuna to say #100. When you get in the NC Bluefin I think you are limited to either Stella 18K/20K or Daiwa Saltiga / Dogfight.

So if we are discussing NJ tuna to #100 then Saltist, Saragosa are ok, but they are largely plastic. The drags have been known to be problematic on the Saragosa.

In our quest to provide a very good reel that the average human can afford, we are now carrying both the
The Canyon Spinning and the Fox Reels from the UK.

Here are shots of the very reasonable Fox ($489.00) with #35 lbs of drag, oversized super heavy duty bail roller, custom style ball bearing power handle included.

Many shops get well over $150 for this type of Ball bearing handle

We demo'd the FOX reels this past weekend, and their $489.95 all metal spinner, sporting a custom "$189.00" handle which is included standard got alot of interest.

Line roller

#10 ·
There are a few new choices on the market worth considering I think if you are talking NJ tuna to say #100. When you get in the NC Bluefin I think you are limited to either Stella 18K/20K or Daiwa Saltiga / Dogfight.

So if we are discussing NJ tuna to #100 then Saltist, Saragosa are ok, but they are largely plastic. The drags have been known to be problematic on the Saragosa.

In our quest to provide a very good reel that the average human can afford, we are now carrying both the
The Canyon Spinning and the Fox Reels from the UK.

Here are shots of the very reasonable Fox ($489.00) with #35 lbs of drag, oversized super heavy duty bail roller, custom style ball bearing power handle included.

Many shops get well over $150 for this type of Ball bearing handle

We demo'd the FOX reels this past weekend, and their $489.95 all metal spinner, sporting a custom "$189.00" handle which is included standard got alot of interest.

Line roller

Dan I think your info on the gossa drag problem is a little dated. The gosa used to have a problem with the drags. That issue was addressed several years ago. The New gosa's is problbly the best priced spinner on the market for sub 100lb tuners. At 28 oz, 44lb max drag, and line capasity of 400 yards of 65lb braid it out performs anything in its class at $300 bucks. Can you get a better reel with more drag, more line capasity etc? Absolutly, but can you do it for under $300. And has it proven itself.
The fox reel looks like a good reel that does have some good features, but $500 bucks for a spinner that maxes out at 35lb of drag for 100lb class tuners is going to have to be fished near it limits all the time. That kind of use will not give the reel longevity in my opinion. Not without serious serviceing requirements. The new Canyon spinner is barely out of the box and has a few years of use in the reel world before it can make any reel claims. Is it a good reel? It could turn out to be the best ever, but that is yet to be seen. No offence intended to Canyon Reels or thier retailers.
Do you have any specs or other info on the FOX reels? Sizes available, line capasity. Drag material, weight retrieve ratio?

#8 ·
I would stay away from the Saltist. The problem I had was the handle. After fighting about 10-12 of the 40-100 lb class BFTs on it here in NJ, the handle shaft stripped out on me. I do not like the design of the handle fitting on the reel, nor any other spinning reel for tuna (or heavy drag fishing) where the screw that holds the handle to the reel has to always be tight, and is tightened by turning clockwise. this allows for the handle to become loose, and if you're not paying attention and it's loose, it can eventually strip out the housing, which is what happened to me. Now I think this could be adressed by adding lock-tight thread compound to the handle thread/screw to prevent slippage, but nonetheless, I prefer reels for this type of fishing where the handle tightens automatically or is not connected by a screw at all. Which is why I bought a Stella. I figured buy/repair a saltist or other inferior reel with plastic drags almost every year (I fish and catch dozens of tuna (some big) hard each year) or buy the Stella once for a lifetime. After talking with some guys who have fished tuna for years and years on spinning setups, they thought this was normal wear for some of these inferior reels, and they had purchased a Stella once and had never had a problem (going on a decade or so now). I just don't have the time or patience to deal with reel repair/replacement every year, so I went Stella. I think if you fight alot of big tuna year after year it makes sense to invest in the Stella. If you only fish tuna once or twice a year and the are less than 120 lbers, you could probably get away with the Sargosa (just lock-tight the handle). My two cents, anyway

#9 ·
Thanks for the input, I have been doing some research and the majority of the people think the Saragosa is the way to go. (Something with the Saltist's drag is causing problems?) Anyway, Fasteddiefishing I completely agree with what your saying but thats the thing I probably go tuna fishing less than 5 times a year. Did see the canyon at the boat show and it looked impressive, 66# lbs of drag? did I get that right? You could anchor a boat with that, haha.

#11 ·
I agree with what has been said so far, I wanted to have a heavy spinning reel to give it a try for tuna jigging. We've used conventional set-ups for all of our jiigging, and I prefer them over the spinning set-ups. We fish out of Cape May and although we haven't had the bigger bluefins in the last few seasons we did have them before that, both out in Masseys and beyond that area to the 30 line, and we had them out at the Claw upto 200lbs 4 yrs ago, we jigged them with Avet HX reels and an Everol 12/20 both reels did the job. but we don't go looking for the big blueifn in NC or up at the Cape. I wanted the spinner also for casting plugs to tuna as well as useing it for some vertical jigging. So I went with the Saragoosa 18,000 and the new ones have supposedly addressed any past issues they have had, biggest tuna jigged last year was only 80lbs and it handled that fine. Maybe we'll get a shot at some bigger bfins this year, I haven't heard as good of reports on the Saltist. and as much as the Canyon has raised alot of interest I'd like to see how they make out down in NC before I would go that route. At the show price of $225.'s plenty of guys were more then happy to take a shot with them and I think they'll do well. I do know that Don gives his reels excellent service support so I'm sure if there are any issues he'll be right there to correct them. 61lbs of drag? I don't think anyone will use anywhwere near that, the idea is if it is that powerfull then you'll only being useing at the most 50% of the max Drag power so the theory is they should operate very well in that range. Hopefully they do, I think they'll need the larger line capacity which they are suppose to offer in the near future. for the 200-300lb class bfins. but definetly will be looking to see how the 6500 performs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.