BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to work obligations I'm looking into a sat phone to both stay connected if needed for work as well as a possible way to check emails at the canyon. Any suggestions in the least expensive way to do this and aprox cost? I have an iPad and was looking into a way to create a hotpot off a sat phone.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
not sure of all the technical stuff your looking todo but we picked up a Imersat this past year and it works excellent great service, the other option is Irridium they're more expensive but I don't think much difference between the two of them just don't get inviolved with Globalstar.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
i dont know that is possable you are going from sat waves to cell waves. you need a secretary on land to read you your emails. but call a sat company ask them

·
Registered
534 Posts
Iridium and Inmarsat are the best and both will serve your well. If you're friends have one or the other and your looking to make sat phone to sat phone calls choose the same brand as your friends as itsa insanely expensive to call from one company to another, ala inmarsat to iridium.

Separately, you can pay for a version with texting capabilities, but the data services are limited to 64kbps and I believe data transmissions are limited to small sizes. This obviously sucks and won't enable you to do much of anything with your ipad.

Earlier this spring I looked into purchasing some sort of data service so I could work offshore, but was disappointed to find that the generally available options require you to be absolutely still and with an unobstructed view. When I told the Sat companies I would be on a boat, they told me their solutions wouldnm't work unfortunately.

·
Registered
289 Posts
We have an Iridium.What type of service do you guys use for your minutes?Tired of paying 50 month rather just buy a block of mins for the year.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Due to work obligations I'm looking into a sat phone to both stay connected if needed for work as well as a possible way to check emails at the canyon. Any suggestions in the least expensive way to do this and aprox cost? I have an iPad and was looking into a way to create a hotpot off a sat phone.
I bought an Iridium SatPhone Pro for about $499 last year and used it all summer with not a glitch. Worked great no dropped calls. I know they have a data transmission plan but I believe its slow. It coast me $15.00/month plus about 99cents per minute. Bought on line from the SatPhoneCity in Florida. It was shipped to me within 5 days and came with ac and dc chargers, earpiece, wrist strap. No problems at all. They have fixed minute plans but I went with the no minutes plan since when in the canyons I'drather be fishing than talking. You can give them a call and have al your questions answered. They were very easy to work with

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I agree I'd rather fish than talk. It's more for just responding to an email if need be. I hate being tied to the land for no other reason than an email.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts