BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have and use a Satellite phone on their boat. ---- what is the cost of the service --- are there any brands that are recommended for marine applications that are better then others.

I am really thinking hard about getting one as the last piece of my safety equipment.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Not sure if they got their act together, but Gloabalstar was horrible. The best I ever used was Iridum, I think it cost the same, but the calls where there 80% of the time, compares to about 20 %

·
Registered
833 Posts
Stay away from Globalstar....I use one of their phones for a paper weight.....
I am very surprised they are still in business
Thought they had a class action suit a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
a few yrs back globalstar was fine. in recent yrs the service has been terrible. i understand they will have new satellites operative later this year. cost of service for globlalstar was $39.99 per month for an hour of service. after the hour .99 min. due to poor service i now have a use as you go deal with global star at something like .59 min with no monthly fee. hopefully the new satelitie helps.

a freind of mine has iridium with great service.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Quick question the boat i fish on has a sat phone, but i have a kid on the way and my wife wants me to get one for when im at hunting camp cause no cell phone access and need to go 10 miles away. are they just as bad in woods as they are out on the water with global star.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I bought a sat phone last year on ebay from a dealer in Ct.
It was the phone, charger, 12volt charger and pelican case for about
$150.00. The service I have is with globalstar for $34.99 a month
plus taxes - this is for unlimited air time (evolution plan).

I bought the phone for safety reasons (ditch bag) but I did use it
every time I was out fishing offshore. I would phone friends with fishing
reports or tell my wife we were running late. It would take about 10-15
minutes to get a connection with a sat., I did have some calls dropped
and it would take another 10 minutes or so to get a connection.
I put about 100-150 minutes a month on the phone during the season. You have to be out in the open to use, would not work under hardtop.

I guess like any other piece of safety equipment that you hope you never
have to use (epirb, life raft, etc..) and you hope they work if you needed them, at least you get to practice with the phone

With all the expense that we have in our sport, I think that it is well worth having when you are 60-70 miles offshore.

tight lines

·
Registered
286 Posts
Handheld solution would be the Iridium Sat phone.They run about $1500 for a phone.They offer different plans like Prepay,postpay and you can even rent a phone for a period of time.An example that I have seen is 20 mins a month for $72 and $1.29 per minute when you go over.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Iridium seems the way to go. I have a Globstar phone that is brand new. The only problem is that the satillites do not work. This was the biggest waist of money in my boating days. It would not work in my yard, you can forget offshore.:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Renting is still big$$$$ My father rented one for 2 months last year for a trip to Central America. It was $125 a month rent + $1.89 per min. with a 45 min minimum per month, $500 deposit, $25 FedEx to him (in Jersey) $25 to ship back. $400+ and it only worked 50% of the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.