BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a total crew of five (TJHhunter, Ben, Greg, ED and I) for today. We left the Barnegat light ramp around 7:15am. We would have left earlier but I needed more tide water to help float the Regulator off of the bunk trailer.

I wanted to go as far out as 30 miles but I let the weather dictate how far we actually went. After getting about 3 miles off the beach it started to get quite bumpy. Therefore, we fished the first several hours at GSN. We picked away at some decent tog. They seemed to prefer fresh surf clam over crab (white and greenies) & cooked shrimp.

By this point the seas had died a little and I was thinking that we had about a three hour weather window before the fan turned on. With the crew's support, I rolled all of the dice and headed another 15 miles east to a little spot in no man's land. Scary place to be in late January.

Anyway the move paid off big time. We fished this spot for just over an hour and caught about 12 keeper cod and 10 keeper tog. Some of the tog were around 8 pounds and the largest cod was about 10 pounds. Lastly, the doggies were someone of a nusiance.

At about 12:30pm I blew the horn and raced back to the inlet to try to beat the blow (which we did).

Here are a couple of lousy pictures of some of the fish.

For a late day in January I give it a fisherman's 10:thumbsup:.

Peter

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We saw a total of three other boats fishing out there today which is actually more boats than I have seen the past several trips.

Peter

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
........We picked away at some decent tog. They seemed to prefer fresh surf clam over crab ......
Do you have any idea how much trouble you can get into for saying that? :D

PS - Nice job!!!

Is this going to go down as the winter that we all could (should!) have left our boats in? :huh:

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
Isn't it great when you can get out and be fishing in January. :thumbsup:

Great report Peter. I'm looking to fish out of Gloucester on Saturday. The Pollack/haddock reports are insane right now.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hey Peter, Thanks for the invite it was a very well planned day. The fact that you can do this kind of thing in late January is great. To put my first cod of the year in the boat was nice but to have a plan and have it work is something to talk about. Great crew and a great time was one for the books. As you said yesterday a little warm up for NC I cant wait but I dont want to skip past what we have here in our back yards. Thank Again til next time.:thumbsup: TJ

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Peter, Thanks for the invite it was a very well planned day. The fact that you can do this kind of thing in late January is great. To put my first cod of the year in the boat was nice but to have a plan and have it work is something to talk about. Great crew and a great time was one for the books. As you said yesterday a little warm up for NC I cant wait but I dont want to skip past what we have here in our back yards. Thank Again til next time.:thumbsup: TJ
Tim, that was a great crew yesterday

IMO, probably the biggest part of my plan yesterday was around th e fishable weather window. That window was based upon up to date reports from. Fishweather.com.

I love that web site. I have found their reports to be spot on 99 percent of the time.

Peter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts