BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve taken four offshore trips this year and have yet to see a scallop boat in south Jersey. Has anyone seen any out there and if so WHERE?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,270 Posts
mr wright said:
I’ve taken four offshore trips this year and have yet to see a scallop boat in south Jersey. Has anyone seen any out there and if so WHERE?
Only saw a couple on two trips. and they were traveling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
924 Posts
Most of the serious scallop boats are up in New Bedford. Many of the small day boats have cleaned some of the local spots up, leaving most of the fleet thats unable to fish the closed areas tied up at the dock. Take a drive down to The Lobster House or Two Mile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I did not se Barta this weekend but I do have it Tivod. I was no vaca for the past 3 weeks in Cape May and fished the Trunk and the Claw and did not run across one the entire time. I asked a local and he said all of them were in New Bedford. I was looking for confermation of that info or a location of the fleet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
there are scallop boats working locally they are guys that i worked with when i worked on the boats,the yellowfin have not been following the boats like they normally do.my friends on the boats are saying they are not getting to many hook ups lately they do not know why either they said there are plenty of squid around the boats too.louis
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
all of the trip boats are working up in the closed areas on georges banks or the lightship area and the news only gets better for next year being that the elephants trunk closed area will open in january and close in march so no tuna behind the scallop boats next year either,and besides last year we had the best blufin fishing in sept behind the boats they will come behind the day boats you just have to know the right people and keep in touch with them
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
374 Posts
Most of the scallop boats are up in the new bedford area. Some of the boats are working off New York about 80 miles out.

I heard from one day boat out of Cape May he spent 30 hours catching 2 1/2 bags.

I don't think you will see many scallop boats until they open the closed area around the dog.

The boat I talked to on Saturday had tuna around the boat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
i was chunking the claw on saturday and only saw one boat
nothing behind him so we decided to chunk anyway
5 hours of chunking only had one really nice fish on but pulled hook after 20 min fight
also makos were free jumping 15 feet out of air around us
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
scalop boats

Just spent 10 days in Ocean City Maryland tied up at fisherman's marina,(by the scalpers) here's the deal : regardless of the size of the boat there only aloud 400 lbs of scallops per trip.So there all going out at night and returning about 10:00am.There selling there catch together. You may see a straggler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,075 Posts
bottomline,

you think the day boats have had enoughtof the sportboats? I am sure of it. I too saw day boats heading out to fish in the evening. It does not take too long to cut up ten bags of Scallops, and sure, if were me? I would do it at night. Why bother with the Blackflies and other crap during the day?

I spoke with crewman from the Courageous and he said the price tumbled here, and the boats are not willing to waste the days.

New Bedford Boats are crushing them to the East. I have been hearing up to 18,000 lbs in 3 days of fishing. Impressive if your a Scalloper.:cool:
Captn Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,180 Posts
waterman482 said:
all of the trip boats are working up in the closed areas on georges banks or the lightship area and the news only gets better for next year being that the elephants trunk closed area will open in january and close in march so no tuna behind the scallop boats next year either,and besides last year we had the best blufin fishing in sept behind the boats they will come behind the day boats you just have to know the right people and keep in touch with them
Waterman why do you keep posting that the trunk will close in march ???
When clearly the plan in effect is to open it in Jan.and close it for Sept-oct in the fall ....

am i missing something?:confused:

Im not trying to break your balls,Just wondering if you know something that the local scallopers on my street dont ...:)

Also there are plenty of boats working down to our south 80-90 miles from C.M On 1 trip 2 weeks ago i personally seen at least 15 scallop boats working in a tight area both day and trip boats ...

Federal officials announced plans this week to reopen a large, productive fishing ground off the mid-Atlantic coast for sea scallops, effective in January 2007 – a move expected to provide major opportunities for fishers and merchants in Hampton Roads who target the buttery bivalves.
The opening includes an environmental hitch: The fishing ground will close again each fall, from Sept. 1 to Oct. 31, to protect sea turtles from accidentally being killed by powerful dredges used to gather sea scallops from the bottom of the ocean.

Conservation groups were lukewarm to the new rules announced Thursday by the National Marine Fisheries Service. They applauded the government for helping federally protected turtles from dying in scallop dredges, but argued that the protections do not go far enough.
Oceana , a Washington-based environmental group, still was deciding Friday whether to challenge the plans in court, said David Allison, an activist and campaign director .
The fishing ground in question, located about 50 miles offshore, is known as the Elephant Trunk . Covering about 1,000 square miles , i
t has been closed for the past three years so baby scallops could grow and spawn without the danger of capture.
William DuPaul , a professor and scallop expert at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science, said the reprieve has resulted in a treasure trove of large, meaty scallops within the Elephant Trunk, named for its contours on the ocean floor.
Thanks,Vinny
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,821 Posts
VDAWG said:
Waterman why do you keep posting that the trunk will close in march ???
When clearly the plan in effect is to open it in Jan.and close it for Sept-oct in the fall ....

am i missing something?:confused:

Im not trying to break your balls,Just wondering if you know something that the local scallopers on my street dont ...:)

Also there are plenty of boats working down to our south 80-90 miles from C.M On 1 trip 2 weeks ago i personally seen at least 15 scallop boats working in a tight area both day and trip boats ...

Federal officials announced plans this week to reopen a large, productive fishing ground off the mid-Atlantic coast for sea scallops, effective in January 2007 – a move expected to provide major opportunities for fishers and merchants in Hampton Roads who target the buttery bivalves.
The opening includes an environmental hitch: The fishing ground will close again each fall, from Sept. 1 to Oct. 31, to protect sea turtles from accidentally being killed by powerful dredges used to gather sea scallops from the bottom of the ocean.

Conservation groups were lukewarm to the new rules announced Thursday by the National Marine Fisheries Service. They applauded the government for helping federally protected turtles from dying in scallop dredges, but argued that the protections do not go far enough.
Oceana , a Washington-based environmental group, still was deciding Friday whether to challenge the plans in court, said David Allison, an activist and campaign director .
The fishing ground in question, located about 50 miles offshore, is known as the Elephant Trunk . Covering about 1,000 square miles , i
t has been closed for the past three years so baby scallops could grow and spawn without the danger of capture.
William DuPaul , a professor and scallop expert at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science, said the reprieve has resulted in a treasure trove of large, meaty scallops within the Elephant Trunk, named for its contours on the ocean floor.
Thanks,Vinny
thats just what i have heard from a few fulltime permit holders that have been to the meetings that they will close it early to avoid bycatch of turtles and other migratory species,just like one of the closed areas up north is being shut down after a very short notice so a few of the boats my friends work on are thinking about leaving today in the storm to get in the area before it closes,its just the way things work out i am sure the scallopers would rather be out there in may,june,july when its nice than in the dead of winter but i doubt the way nmfs works it will be that way
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top