BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the dock at 1:30 am and headed for the Lindy on a tip from a few buddies. This was my first time running a boat that far and was dealing with nerves the whole trip out there. We arrived shortly after daybreak due to limited speed in soupy seas. The second we arrived the one person on board I was leaning on heavily for help got about as green as the grass in front of my house so I climbed down the tower and began to lay out the spread. Seconds after the second line was out the drag on that real went off. Boated a very nice BFT just shy of keeper size so he went back. About 20 minutes later the WWWB went off and after a nice little fight with my dad on the rod we had our first keeper tuna with the new boat. It was a nice YFT in the 50-60 pound range.

It was about that time I noticed on of my fuel guages reading a lot less fuel than the other one so being :eek: I began to troll back towards home which took us out of the game. Had a few more run offs that we did not hook up with, for what ever reason be it bad luck or a tired inexperenced crew but that exciting first hour was the highlight of the day. All in all I considered it a success and will be back out soon enough. Next trip will most likely be an over night trip.

Now to figure out my fuel guage problem. When I re-filled at the dock the one tank reading almost a quater different on the guage only took ten more gallons (74/64). Correct me if I am wrong but a ten gallon difference over 160 miles crusing and 5 hours on the troll is not that big of a difference right :confused: I am figuring it is a guage issue and not an engine issue. Any input is appreciated.

Shitty thing is I had about 82 gallons of fuel between the two tanks when I returned to the dock and in my boat that is a lot of range figuring I did the whole trip on 138 gallons.
Bob

·
Registered
457 Posts
Not sure what type of boat you have, but your generator is sucking out of one of the tanks, which would definitely make up for the 10 gallon difference between the two tanks.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
the senders(sp?) for our fuel tanks on our mako go just about every year and can't be relied upon..

when going offshore in it we rely on the fuel management system. fill up the boat, reset the total fuel burn to zero and you know what you've used up throughout the trip..

is there a crossover connection on the fuel tanks? we have one and typically take 15-20 gallons more on the first side we fill up after a canyon trip, more if we take the fuel way down..

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Fuel burn difference

10 gal difference is 15% less efficiency on that engine. Id say there is an issue with that engine. Do you have Pyro's or Boost gauges? I would be looking that engine over good to find out why the big difference in burn unless last fill up you didnt fill that one to the top.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I would not be super concerned about a 10 gallon difference. Make sure for the next 3 - 4 trips even if they are short, top the tanks off before departure and fill up again as soon as you get back. Keep a log of any differences and then take additional action if neccessary.

·
Registered
348 Posts
make sure your cross over valves are closed on the returns or you'll be returning more fuel to one tank than the other

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Gas guages

Had a silimar insident two weeks ago. We were planning our first run to the canyons. Have a 200 gallon tank, running two 150 Verados pushing a 26'cc. When running at 25 knots was burning 12 gallons per hour for both motors. Felt very confident that we had enough gas for the trip. Left Somers point in the brutal fog around 1 am., as we went by the Cigar I just happen to check the smart craft full guages and it said I was good for about 130 miles, and still had 200 gallons in the tank. Having never ran the boat that far, ended up fishing for bonita, and small blues. Suppose to get the boat back from the shop this Friday, and hoping to try again this Friday night. Am thinking on the Spoencer or the Lindy, anybody else going?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts