BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out a report from my sister's / dad's / 2 brothers-in-law striper charter in OI last week, and I came across this picture. If you look closely, you can still see someone in the water behind the upright boat. Apparently the boat got into the shallows and the waves, and went over right in the inlet.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
IT IS A HELLHOLE.COULD YOU IMAGINE RUNNING THAT INLET AT NIGHT OR WITH A BIG EAST SWELL.LAST TWO SUMMERS AGO WE STAYED IN A NAGSHEAD AND THE WOLF AND I WENT ON THE HEADBOAT MISS OREGON INLET.WE FISHED THE INTERCOASTAL WITH A FULL BOAT ANCORED IN 12'CATCHING 4" TO 6" SEA BASS.CAPTAIN SAID IT WAS TOO DANGERIOUS TO GO OUT INLET AND IT WAS NOT BLOWING HARD.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
You don't want to go there unless you ABSOLUTELY know what you're doing. Even then I'd charter a 40 foot boat. Three boats in nine days lost in OI thus far this fall.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I fished there on my boat last summer. When we came in we had an east wind and an out going tide. The inlet was STACKED UP! At one spot in the inlet the bottom comes up to 16', that's where it was REALLY STACKED. Not a place to mess around with the wrong wind and tide, it can be the ultimate test of your boat handling capabilities.By the way, we where in a 24' boat.

·
Registered
31,755 Posts
My Dad fishes with one of the CG's in OI. It's a weekly event. During the striper tournament they have to station 2 boats with full crews at the inlet because they know they'll get a flip or two that weekend.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
That inlet is nasty! Its only for the seasoned pro's who know the inlet. From what I heard from a few local guys down there last spring the water moves so hard it moves the sand from day to day. One day you can have 8' the next 2'. Its not uncommon to see even the local boys high and dry down there.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It is said that it is the 2nd worst Inlet in the entire country....2nd only to an inlet in the State of Oregon where they train the Coast Guard. I can't think of the name of it...maybe someone can help.
Oregon Inlet, N.C. has quite a reputation...even on the West Coast.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Originally posted by Stiffs-r-us:
It is said that it is the 2nd worst Inlet in the entire country....2nd only to an inlet in the State of Oregon where they train the Coast Guard. I can't think of the name of it...maybe someone can help.
Cape Disappointment, Columbia River Bar.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Cape Disappointment.

Commonly known as Station Cape ?D?, station crewmembers respond to 300-400 calls for assistance every year. The station?s heaviest workload occurs during the months of early June through mid-September, when an abundance of recreational boaters transit the Columbia River entrance in search of salmon and bottom fish.

This area is regarded as on of the most treacherous river bars in the world. Because of the large number of shipwrecks near the river entrance it is often called ?The Graveyard of the Pacific.? During winter storms, wind-driven ocean swells often reach a height of 20-30 feet at the entrance of the bar. With the columniation of strong outgoing tides and large incoming swells, large surf conditions can exist in and around the bar entrance

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
the problem is they were in too big of a boat;)

the only place around hear that i have seen get as nasty as Hatteras or OI would have to be Little Egg. Granted i don't spend every day or every weekend on the water for that matter but have been out there when it has gotten pretty nasty.
I lived in NC for 5 years and fished out there regularly lets just say we were always the smallest boat around.

The dumbest thing i think we ever did was boat from drum inlet to Ockracoke on the outside looking for falsies in my boy's 16' sea ox. If any of you ever get the chance check out Portsmouth Island. what a neat place. but needless to say the weather got so nasty we had to leave the boat and ride the ferry back to Cedar Island, catch a ride to the car and drive back with the trailer. what a mess. but the blonde i met at that bar that night....made it all worth the while.

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
Oregon is not a nice one indeed but I'll take it over Hat any day. When the coast guard warns against using their own buoys for navigation purposes it says something about how bad the place is. Each trip I have taken there has involved some white knuckle maneuvers and frequently having to time the swell in that particular weeks "native channel" to keep from bottoming out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.