BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was able to finally get out a couple hours this afternoon and was glad I did. The smallies turned on in the river this afternoon at least as far as a March bite goes. Ended up with 6 smallies all between 13-16"s. Four on a 3" pearl bass assasin on 1/8oz jig head and 2 on a husky jerk. :D

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Topwater this early-NICE!!! How far up the schuke were you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fished between Phoenixville and Pawlings Rd bridge. The husky jerk is a suspending crank bait. I usaully dont start getting the smallies on topwater baits til late April.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You dont always get numbers in early spring but the quality of the fish is usually alot better then later in the year. Try fishing the deeper holes and eddies below riffles and dams, and fish SLOW. You will be suprised with what you come up with.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Nice job Mike.
I usually hit the Perk in early April for the pre-spawn smallies but now you got me thinking......

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hey Mike Whats the boat ramp for that area? I have been using the blackrock ramp to fish that area, but would like to see what it is like in the pawling rd bridge area!!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
mike924 said:
Fished between Phoenixville and Pawlings Rd bridge. The husky jerk is a suspending crank bait. I usaully dont start getting the smallies on topwater baits til late April.
My bad, its been a while since I fished the sweet stuff, and I've never fished the big rivers before, thats why I had to ask wher the smallie were. I was thinking that the husky jerk was a zara spook type lure. At this point I cant decide whether to hit Hay Creek or the schuke...Decisions decisions........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Wilson, there is no ramps between Pheonixville and Pawlings Rd. There is a ramp along the canal up by the dam but I dont know the condition of it or if its even maintained. The closest ramp I could suggest would be Betzwood. Withtout a jet drive the section of river between Pheonixville and Pawlings Rd can be real tough getting around. I usaully wade this section of river.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
mike924 said:
There is a ramp along the canal up by the dam but I dont know the condition of it or if its even maintained.
That ramp is just a dirt and stone ramp. I use it often. It is meant for canoes and kayaks. I launch my 12' V bottom there off the trailer only because I have 4WD and the boat is light.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I didn't know you could catch smallies this early either. I've caught them while trout fishing on opening day in the Skippy which used to be the second Sat. in April. Mid-March... HHHHMMMMMM. Off to get my license although with this rain it will be a week before it's fishable again.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Doesn't look lke a lot of rain fell. It could only be a couple of days to settle down.....
Hey Mike, are you in KOP Thursday night???????:)

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
mike924 said:
I should be around. I dont get done work til 6. What time are you guys meeting and where?
I meant Capt.Mike but hey ,you're invited too...:)
The Fox & Hound in the KOP Plaza parking lot...7 pm tonight. Lots of barners gonna be there......a guaranteed great time...

·
Registered
560 Posts
ReadyJettyGo said:
Doesn't look lke a lot of rain fell. It could only be a couple of days to settle down.....
Hey Mike, are you in KOP Thursday night???????:)
Hey Roger-No, I can't make it Thursday night. Gavin has a wrestling tournament at the Wildwood Convention Center Friday and Saturday but weigh-ins are Thursday 5:00-7:00. Sorry, I've been an absentee barner. I'm sure you'll carry the load for Skippack in my absence. :D We may wet a line down there this weekend if he gets eliminated early. Woops... that's bad charma.

·
Registered
132 Posts
mike924 said:
I should be around. I dont get done work til 6. What time are you guys meeting and where?
Mike - I'd be interested in talking with you. I live in Pottstown, fish the river all the time from my jet. I'll be there tonight. Younger guy thats going bald.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts