BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While conducting our regular fall shad survey, biologists captured, measured and released this monster striped bass (Morone saxitalis) in the tidal portion of the Schuylkill River.  The presence of these large migratory predators and the relative abundance (i.e., density) of migratory species, such as American Shad, Blueback Herring, Striped Bass and Hickory Shad, is an excellent indicator of the health of the Schuylkill (and Delaware) Drainages.  Joe Perillo, PWD's fisheries biologist, will be organizing this year's assessment data, and along with our past monitoring data, we will begin to develop an indicator trend which measures the relative density, fish passage success and reproductive success in our region of the watershed (potentially good stuff for our CCR).  
http://www.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=19478874/PictureID=913872116/t_=19969717

Enjoy the picture.

[ 11-14-2005, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: junkmansj ]

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I'm not sure this link is operating properly. All that is coming up is the registration page or something.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
ditto ditto

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
ditto ditto ditto

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Question - who would eat a bass taken from that river, most that are caught are at the foot of the art museum - wanna talk about dirty water???!!! - anyways, just wonderin - sjb

·
Registered
5 Posts
you be surprise how clean the water really is. I took my stripers out of the river and walleye,smallmouth bass.I'm still alive,very good eating. good luck to all

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Nervous disorders from mercury don't happen overnight.

Just remember,"you can't polish a terd"

[ 11-14-2005, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Mullica Bob ]

·
Registered
351 Posts
~I personally practice CPR. I would rather help conserve the fish population that the river holds. Many people taking big fish home adds up. Just my two cents.~

:cool:

·
Registered
78,872 Posts
Guys I picked up a tagged fish last summer in Cape May on July 10th which was tagged above Trenton on June 20th ? I got a Hat for the tag?
I am guessing that fish was exposed to Philly river water for at least a month or so. These things do move a lot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
since were on the topic of eating striper...last months men's health magazine provided a chart indicating how many times a month it is safe to eat certain fish...according to the sources cited...

Striped Bass= 0 times per month for safe eating...

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry Guys Have been off the Comp for a Few days it is Re-posted above by Whaler

1 - 18 of 18 Posts