BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to replace my scuppers on my 19 outrage, i have seen a few different kinds, Rabud, ping-pong ball and duckbill type, what works best for you and what doesnt.

i need ones that allow water out while docked not just while underway

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I installed the ping-pong type on my aquasport over the plain brass open fittings in my engine well. I used to get water alot in cockpit while on the drift. The ping-pong type solved that problem.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'll hopefully be putting those ping pong ball types on the Maycraft this year. The factory flapper scuppers are garbage. Put the engine in reverse and you get a constant rush of water onto the deck until you get out of reverse. I've had times when there's 3 or so inches covering half the deck.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Giant holes with solid or rubber flappers on them....all commercial ones are dangerously small and many don't work all that well as well as being overpriced for what they are....

I have never seen a production boat with satisfactory scuppers on them...I would cut them oversize...epoxy up as appropriate and place a rubber flapper held by a stainless trim piece.

The holes I would use on a 19 footer would be at least 10 inches wide by 2 inches high.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
whaler19 said:
i need to replace my scuppers on my 19 outrage, i have seen a few different kinds, Rabud, ping-pong ball and duckbill type, what works best for you and what doesnt.

i need ones that allow water out while docked not just while underway

thanks in advance.
Don't screw with what Whaler has been doing for 50yrs. I've yet to see any of these scuppers plugs/flapper/balls keep water completely out. If you are getting water over that back trough well in that boat then the hull is full of water..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey dunk--

im not getting water over the back. im getting water thru the scupppers with 4 of us in the rear of of the boat the scuppers are sitting just at the waterline while docked and below when we get in. trying to keep out the wather when we are all in the boat and while moored trying to let water out after cleaning up, after a rain etc.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
whaler19 said:
im not getting water over the back. im getting water thru the scupppers with 4 of us in the rear of of the boat the scuppers are sitting just at the waterline while docked and below when we get in. trying to keep out the wather when we are all in the boat and while moored trying to let water out after cleaning up, after a rain etc.
Bad design...not much you can do about it...thankfully it's a whaler..

In that case the only scuppers that I've seen keep the water completely out are like the ones on RHIBs...similar to duckbills but are fabric that you pull up or let down depending on running or sitting...PITA...but effective...

Out of the rest...I've heard the ping pong balls work pretty well but are so cheap a season out of them from breakage or several due to UV damage is good.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
whaler19 said:
Why not just put plugs in the scupper holes? If you did take green water over the bow it's going over the transom before thru the scuppers anyway. Put a 500gph Rule in the trough in front of the transom. You can pump it out easily that way when water does slop over the transom.

·
Banned
884 Posts
Like Dunk said- I had to do the same thing to my 19 aquasport. If you stood in the stern water just rolled in through the scupper ports. I plugged them and put in a pump-problem solved.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
williemilkem said:
Problem with these... if your scuppers are under water...water is still going to come in pretty fast....

Dunk's got the easiest solution if you remember to pull them out when you need to....

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
how do you fish four guys off the back of a 19 whaler?

If you have the 90's outrage 19, those boats were not designed right for the bigger motors.

The 90 gal fuel tank is centered down the middle into the back and with a full tank the boat squats pretty low. throw on a 200-225 hp and the scuppers are very close to the water line. They do have flappers on the side scuppers that work pretty well if you service them.

The back well scuppers will allow sea water into the motor well on rough days. you can use the ping pong ball type in there or just make sure the rivets and seal securing the hatch are water tight.

two guys is about as many as you want to have fishing the transom with that layout

you already have a bilge pump that will get rid of any water that goes into the storage/fish box drainsfrom the deck into the hulls bilge

1 - 14 of 14 Posts