BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have anew prop and have picked up a lot of speed. A problem might be my dead idle speed.....

Does anyone have experience using a sea anchor to slow your boat down???

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have seen some guys use a 5 gallon bucket or two, I would not want to lose a fish cause it got caught up in the line though... Have you considered a trolling plate?

What kind of prop did you go to and what did you have prior, interested in more speed myself...

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
My boat idles at 3.8 kts. I have not tried a sea anchor but just bump in and out of gear...took a few hours of trolling to get it right...but I can keep it at 2.2-2.6 now with no problem...

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first thought was a bucket but have been advised that the only way to go is s e a anchor.

I have an inboard crusader 320 hp efi Went with an Atomic nibro prop and it's beyond awesome. Picked 2.5 plus s knots at 3200. Now running 22.5 mph. And 5 more knots top end!

·
Registered
155 Posts
re bait yes it will

I have anew prop and have picked up a lot of speed. A problem might be my dead idle speed.....

Does anyone have experience using a sea anchor to slow your boat down???
fished lake onterio for years every boat i was on used them they were all inboards they used them to slow dowm and to keep oil pressure up they used one on each side cleated tight

·
Registered
64 Posts
Never had a problem trolling, but when crabbing a trot line I drag a 5 gallon bucket. I do not think in your case a 5 gallon bucket would cut it. My outboard is only 15 hp on a 16' boat and while the bucket does slow it down, it is not a whole lot. If you do try it, drill a 1-2 inch hole in the center of the bottom, makes the bucket not wobble around as much.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Check out Amish Outfitters bags. Some good info on THT. I gave them a thought but ended up finding the sweet spot using only one engine and more tabs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts