BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started 15 off some seabass nothing great. headed into 100 ft got some keepers and a cod, still sucks,headed out further to 125 ft got some more keepers and a few cod, nothing great but scratched out nice amount of seabass and two cod. where are all the seabass.....

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
the seabassin of LBI has horrible too. I was hoping to get off for tile today but the damn ***** forecast ruined the plans. I'm going to play ball with my Lab and tie some rigs, anything not to do something responsible :) :) Hope all is well and thank you again for the rod.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
started 15 off some seabass nothing great. headed into 100 ft got some keepers and a cod, still sucks,headed out further to 125 ft got some more keepers and a few cod, nothing great but scratched out nice amount of seabass and two cod. where are all the seabass.....
We had the same exact thing. Really tough out there but scrapped together 20 keepers. No consistent bite whatsoever

·
Registered
838 Posts
john its tough out there but way to be honest, pots pots pots there all in pots. Im sure ya heard of the situation but the boys did some checkin around the 20 line where they were sharking to no avail. makos to be caught but no seagrass

·
Registered
838 Posts
I honestly think there needs to be more wreck deployment or scuttling. As most of the hang from the last 40 years and beyond are deteriorated and covered. The known ones are hammered also. I never really looked into it but I believe that old man shuda had a lot to do w the reef foundation but im not to sure. I may be speaking out of line but that's my 2 pennies

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
john its tough out there but way to be honest, pots pots pots there all in pots. Im sure ya heard of the situation but the boys did some checkin around the 20 line where they were sharking to no avail. makos to be caught but no seagrass
yo freddy, we put on almost 100 miles and to come home w so little, still love being out there but.. Now my friend fished buzzards bay this weekend and crushed the sea bass in shallow water. who knows wtf is going on.

we figured we would have seena few guys sharkin on those big wreck but nada. no fishy no sharky

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We had the same exact thing. Really tough out there but scrapped together 20 keepers. No consistent bite whatsoever
crazy to think we would come home w so little its almost scary

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Seabass have been on the decline for years.. it is not you TJ.. its sad state they let them get too...

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I honestly think there needs to be more wreck deployment or scuttling. As most of the hang from the last 40 years and beyond are deteriorated and covered. The known ones are hammered also. I never really looked into it but I believe that old man shuda had a lot to do w the reef foundation but im not to sure. I may be speaking out of line but that's my 2 pennies
I was saying that on Sat - we need more wrecks

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
There is gear on EVERYTHING, and I'm sure its all loaded. We went Sunday and struggled on pieces that should be loaded this early in the season. We also fished opening day and had better results, but still had to work to get close to our 4 man limit.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is gear on EVERYTHING, and I'm sure its all loaded. We went Sunday and struggled on pieces that should be loaded this early in the season. We also fished opening day and had better results, but still had to work to get close to our 4 man limit.
our last stop was he deepwater reef and it did have a lot of pots around it, im not sure thats it pots, there have always been pots on most spots. Monty Hawkins seems to think were changing the spawning age of the seabass and they are reproducing less due to the size we keep vs the size we release. Def has some merit. But it is odd that they are not really good in any depth of water. Wish i had the answer

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
our last stop was he deepwater reef and it did have a lot of pots around it, im not sure thats it pots, there have always been pots on most spots. Monty Hawkins seems to think were changing the spawning age of the seabass and they are reproducing less due to the size we keep vs the size we release. Def has some merit. But it is odd that they are not really good in any depth of water. Wish i had the answer
Yeah...definitely could be. I needed a good vent:) Very frustrating to put all those miles on thte boat to come home with 10 fish.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Yeah...definitely could be. I needed a good vent:) Very frustrating to put all those miles on thte boat to come home with 10 fish.
Honestly was a disappointment after the opening day we had. I'm itching for redemption now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts