BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think the mess they made of our seabass season last year was a big joke. I went out the last available day last year with a group of 6 guys and it was nonstop action for 8hrs with them. I don't think I ever saw so many seabass come over the gunnels of my boat ever...Even my Furuno depthfinder was lit up with over thirty solid feet of marks over structure in 90ft of water. I never saw anything like it before. I think this year there will be lots and lots of big arse seabass to be caught. we threw just about every one of those bass back on that trip....over 600 of them. Should be tons this year...and I'm not a fortuneteller.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with Jackman about this season. I fished on many seabass trips this year both in the spring and fall on both party boats out of Belmar and Manasquan and my dad's boat and had the best year I've had in a while. Even with the increased size limit, I limited out or came close to limiting every trip. One trip in particular on a party boat in very early October before the shutdown, we sat on a wreck all day long (at least 5 hours) until we went for our 1 tog/person (that's another crock of ****) to finish up the day. The action never let up from when we set the anchors until we left. The amount of fish on that wreck was unbelievable. And that's only 1 wreck in the whole ocean. There was no reason to completely shut the fishery down. It's one thing to reduce the bag limit down to 10 or 15, but to completely shut it down...give me a break.

http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207805

Check out this thread for more details. As already stated, they are waiting for waves 5 and 6. 3 out of the 4 months in those waves were during the federal closure, so hopefully the real landing numbers will be lower than the projected numbers (since no one could fish for them beyond 3 nm) and we will get a longer season.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.