BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
So does that mean if they take longer, we will have a shorter season? Sounds like a plan.
The season will be the same length either way. They're just seeing if the ASMFC will approve a split season so we have something to fish for after summer flounder season ends. The NJ council requested this, because if there is no split season flounder and sea bass will end within a few days of each other.

Also, there is actually the possibility of a longer season eventually being approved. The data from Wave Six of 2009 (Nov.-Dec.) has not been in, and considering the fishery was closed those two months, should come in under the estimates. So if we fight for it, we could squeeze out some more time fishing.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would be great to extend the season to columbus day - like flounder was for quite a while. Always looked forward to that last fluke trip of the year to end summer fishing for the year. At least it would fill the void until stripers start to hit. Would even be better to start sea bass june 1 and go to oct.11.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The sea bass biomass was acknowledged to be 103% of target. Larger numbers then required by law. It was also stated that overfishing is not occurring. Why is the season reduced so much? Why are we happy they gave us a longer season then first proposed? ( but still too short of what real science would allow)

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
The sea bass biomass was acknowledged to be 103% of target. Larger numbers then required by law. It was also stated that overfishing is not occurring. Why is the season reduced so much? Why are we happy they gave us a longer season then first proposed? ( but still too short of what real science would allow)
Exactly...It should be OPENED TODAY... Stay open all year and be 25 per man!!!! They reached over 100% rebuilt status with those regs.....

·
Registered
298 Posts
PROCAMATIONS:
RE: BLACK SEA BASS – COMMERCIAL FISHING OPERATIONS – ATLANTIC OCEAN
Effective at 12:01 A.M., Monday, March 15, 2010, the following restrictions shall apply to the commercial black sea bass fishery north of Cape Hatteras (35° 15.3’N. Latitude):
SIZE LIMIT it is unlawful to possess black sea bass less than 11 inches total length north of Cape Hatteras. Total length shall be measured along the lateral midline from the tip of the nose to the tip tail, excluding the caudal fin filament. HARVEST LIMITS A. During the period beginning at 12:01 A.M., Monday, March 15, 2010 and ending at 6:00 P.M., Thursday, April 15, 2010, no commercial trawl, fish pot or hook and line fishing operation, regardless of the number of people involved, may have total landings of more than 2,000 pounds of black sea bass taken from the Atlantic Ocean north of Cape Hatteras. The Atlantic Ocean black sea bass fishery will close immediately after the Director issues a public notice that the quota of black sea bass has been landed from the Atlantic Ocean north of Cape Hatteras, or at 6:00 P.M., April 15, 2010, whichever occurs first. B. During any closed season, vessels may land up to 100 pounds of black sea bass per trip taken from the Atlantic Ocean. http://www.ncfisheries.net/procs/procs2k10/FF-30-2010.html :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Why should COMMERCIAL fisherman be permitted to catch any sea bass if the fishery is closed to Recreational fisherman. If I have posted this info incorrectly or just reading it wrong someone please correct me. If not I think its time for us as Recreational fisherman to start distancing ourselfs from the commmercial guys.
:fighting:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Comms

Why should COMMERCIAL fisherman be permitted to catch any sea bass if the fishery is closed to Recreational fisherman. If I have posted this info incorrectly or just reading it wrong someone please correct me. If not I think its time for us as Recreational fisherman to start distancing ourselfs from the commmercial guys.
:fighting:
Because that is there livelihood.Thats how they pay there bills.You dont depend on Fishing to support you financially.We dont benefit financially off of any fishing we do.We just give our money towards Gas,Bait,Launch ETC.Its always gonna be Take from the Recs and give to the Comms there are way too many people that like to eat seafood that do not Fish.The recreational fisheries will eventually be shut down completely.So the government can tax the poundage and make you buy your fish from a market...In the future...Lay off the guys sinkin nets and making a living..It will never be a fair game,HRL;)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Because that is there livelihood.Thats how they pay there bills.You dont depend on Fishing to support you financially.We dont benefit financially off of any fishing we do.We just give our money towards Gas,Bait,Launch ETC.Its always gonna be Take from the Recs and give to the Comms there are way too many people that like to eat seafood that do not Fish.The recreational fisheries will eventually be shut down completely.So the government can tax the poundage and make you buy your fish from a market...In the future...Lay off the guys sinkin nets and making a living..It will never be a fair game,HRL;)
If my job goes bad, I get fired, layed off, company closes, etc. I get a new job, no? I cant buy deer, bear, big horn sheep, etc. at ShopRite. Eat farm raised fish if you live in Nebraska. It gives you no right or entitlement to our seabass, flounder, or swordfish. Alaskan crabs not available here? Fine Ill live without them and catch my own. Oh thats right the commercial crabber will F*** with my pots.

Edit: Not taking it out on you, but it is just BS.

·
Registered
298 Posts
EAGLEOCNJ it is total bull s__t. They should get a part time job or new jobs. If theirs not enough work for all of them maybe theirs two many of them. There is never a shortage of fish at my local market and most of the time it is frozen before it goes bad and sold at a discount. The men working the boats might just be trying to make a living but the poeple who own the boat and companys are making a killing am sure. If not the goverment wouldn`t be involved as much as they are.:please:

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
The commercial rules for this species are off track IMO.. There out of season catch limit, last I read was 1000 pounds per week, is far too high making it worth while for some to target them, even out of season and count them as bycatch. The going rate for good bass is about 4 to 5 bucks a pound. So you can see why it would be financially feasible for boats to target them out of season. Those pots aren't left on structure for no reason. t is a joke to think they are just left out there for storage as has been mentioned here before. I think they limit may have been lowered this year, to that credit. Still BS though.

I read a lot here about the growth rate and how fast they grow, etc. Below, is some good reading.

My stance remains the same, I feel sea bassin is a shadow of what it was prior to all the other fishery closures forcing many more folks to target them. remember when sea bass were considered by catch???

I know it is drop and reel fishing inshore. I am talking well offshore. Yeah, it was this fall to on scouting trips i did for fun while chasing BF. However, the size fish are down signifigantly from what it used to be. This is further echoed by the folks I have talked with that have been doing the winter fishery for some time.

Life History and Habitat

Life history, including information on the habitat, growth, feeding, and reproduction of a species, is important because it affects how a fishery is managed.
  • Geographic range: Along the U.S. Atlantic coast from the Gulf of Maine to Cape Canaveral, Florida, and in the Gulf of Mexico.
  • Habitat: Black sea bass inhabit temperate and subtropical waters. They prefer structured habitats such as reefs, wrecks, or oyster beds.
  • Life span: Up to 15 years, although black sea bass older than 9 years are rare.
  • Food: Black sea bass are opportunistic feeders, eating whatever prey is available, but especially crabs, shrimp, worms, small fish, and clams.
  • Growth rate: Slow
  • Maximum size: Up to 23.5 inches and 8 pounds. Larger black sea bass are males, and smaller ones are female.
  • Reaches reproductive maturity: Most black sea bass mature between the ages of 2 and 3.
  • Reproduction: Black sea bass change sex from female to male. Most females will change to males between ages 2 to 5; no females have been found among fish over age 7. Although some fish may have always been male, the majority of adult males are sexually reversed females. Researchers are not certain why females change to males but speculate that the relative scarcity of males in a spawning group may be the stimulus for a female to switch sex. Females produce between 30,000 and 500,000 eggs in a spawning season, depending on the size of the fish.
  • Spawning season: Spawning begins in March off North Carolina and occurs progressively later (until September) further north.
  • Spawning grounds: Coastal areas at depths ranging from 65 to 160 feet on the intercontinental shelf.
  • Migrations: Black sea bass in the Mid-Atlantic migrate to inshore coastal areas and bays in the spring and offshore wintering areas in the fall with changes in water temperature. In the South Atlantic, there is relatively limited migration.
  • Predators: Predators include little skate, spiny dogfish, monkfish, spotted hake, and summer flounder.
  • Commercial or recreational interest: Both
  • Distinguishing characteristics: Large black sea bass are black, while smaller ones are more of a dusky brown. The exposed parts of their scales are paler than the margins, giving the fish the appearance of being barred with a series of longitudinal dots. The belly is only slightly paler than the sides. The fins are dark with dusky spots, and the dorsal fin is marked with a series of white spots and bands. During spawning, males turn bright blue and have a conspicuous blue hump on their heads.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
You guys are seriously mis led,,,,,, It has nothing to do with whom catches a fish for a living or who feeds the world.

You should have asked and understood why you got shut down when you got shut down. I naturally have a fact and a opinion as to why Sea Bass was closed. You were closed down based on a guess at best , The guess was based on a garbage multiplier. Which accuses the Rec sector of overfishing there portion of quota. As I'm sure you know sea bass is either 52% / 48% or 51% / 49% recs getting the higher few percent.

Now my opinion ( stop and think about it ) Next time you see a picture of a jag of fish in this case sea bass and a report to match the picture with details in the report, number of anglers number of boats etc etc. Remember there are 10 or so major web sites in the NE region. Its not hard to put those reports into a half assed multiplier and bammmmmm your closed. Do I know for a fact it happens No is it safe to to guess that it does you bet it is.

Getting back to the rec vs comms most of you don't know that we were closed for almost half the year last year and this year will be almost the same.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
PROCAMATIONS:
RE: BLACK SEA BASS – COMMERCIAL FISHING OPERATIONS – ATLANTICOCEAN
Effective at 12:01 A.M., Monday, March 15, 2010, the following restrictions shall apply to the commercial black sea bass fishery north of Cape Hatteras (35° 15.3’N. Latitude):
SIZE LIMIT it is unlawful to possess black sea bass less than 11 inches total length north of Cape Hatteras. Total length shall be measured along the lateral midline from the tip of the nose to the tip tail, excluding the caudal fin filament. HARVEST LIMITS A. During the period beginning at 12:01 A.M., Monday, March 15, 2010 and ending at 6:00 P.M., Thursday, April 15, 2010, no commercial trawl, fish pot or hook and line fishing operation, regardless of the number of people involved, may have total landings of more than 2,000 pounds of black sea bass taken from the Atlantic Ocean north of Cape Hatteras. The Atlantic Ocean black sea bass fishery will close immediately after the Director issues a public notice that the quota of black sea bass has been landed from the Atlantic Ocean north of Cape Hatteras, or at 6:00 P.M., April 15, 2010, whichever occurs first. B. During any closed season, vessels may land up to 100 pounds of black sea bass per trip taken from the Atlantic Ocean. http://www.ncfisheries.net/procs/procs2k10/FF-30-2010.html :thumbsdown:
Did you notice that web address..... "ncfisheries.net" ???? That stands for North Carolina fisheries.... So Dr. Louis B. Daniel III, Director, Division of Marine Fisheries... (NORTH CAROLINA !) was making an anouncment that took effect in N.C. (not the rest of the east coast)

Golly guys .... you have got to learn to read........

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Guess it's more fashionable to blame the evil comms then it is to find the real truth.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The commercial rules for this species are off track IMO.. There out of season catch limit, last I read was 1000 pounds per week, is far too high making it worth while for some to target them, even out of season and count them as bycatch.
Well let's see, first off if the commercial season is open then how can they catch them "out of season." There is no such thing as "out of season for sea bass, they are caught off our coast year 'round. Second, while the state of NJ has a 1000 trip limit, EVERY STATE is different. Remember, you need to look beyond your own backyard and realize this fish migrates along the coast from NC to ME.

By the way, if you catch your 500 or 1000 pounds (500 4 times a week or 1000 two times a week) that is not "counting them as bycatch."

Nothing you said in that first paragraph was even remotely correct.

The going rate for good bass is about 4 to 5 bucks a pound. So you can see why it would be financially feasible for boats to target them out of season.
First off, wrong again with price.

Second, and I'll type it slowly for you, They Are Not Out Of Season. There is NO SUCH THING as out of season unless the commercial season is CLOSED (which it is not in NJ right now)

Those pots aren't left on structure for no reason. t is a joke to think they are just left out there for storage as has been mentioned here before. I think they limit may have been lowered this year, to that credit. Still BS though.
POTS?? What ARE you talking about? I am sorry Bear, but you are so far off base here I question whether you actually know anything about the commercial fishery. You do realize that nearly ALL of the Sea Bass caught in NJ this winter were either hand gear or trawl right?

Pots?:rolleyes:

My stance remains the same, I feel sea bassin is a shadow of what it was prior to all the other fishery closures forcing many more folks to target them. remember when sea bass were considered by catch???

I know it is drop and reel fishing inshore. I am talking well offshore. Yeah, it was this fall to on scouting trips i did for fun while chasing BF. However, the size fish are down signifigantly from what it used to be. This is further echoed by the folks I have talked with that have been doing the winter fishery for some time.
Well we will have to disagree. We have more time fishing offshore than anyone else in the fishery and I can honestly say you are dead wrong. I am curious as to how old you are and how long you have been offshore seabass fishing. The last time we discussed this you contradicted yourself so much I couldn't quite figure out how you fished from Montauk to Cape May more often than the partyboats that prosecute this fishery offshore and have been doing it since before you were born. By the way, age does not affect your ability to have an opinion or discuss something, I was just wondering how someone could have put so much time offshore to rival those that do it for a living when they do not do it for a living. I figured you must be 80 years old and have been fishing offshore for 40 years to have a comparative set of fishing experiences in order to make statements that are contradictory to those who do it for a living.

I don't wish to pick on you, but you make statements as if they are fact, and as proven above most of what you typed in the first half of your post is not even accurate or close to on the mark, let alone fact.

That is not a knock on you, most people don't fully understand this stuff, myself included. I hate getting into these topics on this site, but your post is so far off the mark I felt others reading needed to understand what i=s fact and what is fiction.

For the others who questioned the commercial season being open, they fish on a quota, same as us. Their quota was not reached, ours was (according to NMFS that is) and they claimed we exceeded it. Therefore, they shut the fishery down to prevent us from going further over quota.

When the quota for sea bass was set last august, it was set at the lowest level in recorded history, despite the fact that the stock is rebuilt. When that was done both the recreational AND the commercial quota was lowered. When we got the increase in the quota recently, both recreational and commercial got the increase.

When their quota for a given period is caught, they are then shut down. Last year their sea bass season (in NJ) was closed before the end of February (or late January, I forget), because they hit their target and were then shut down. With the terrible weather this winter they have yet to reach their quota for this period. They came close, but then the quota was increased by NMFS and the state held off sending the notice of closure since they got (just like you and I got) and increase in quota.

It has nothing to do with who makes a living or not. My brother makes his living off of seasbass and has likely fished more for them in one year then bear has in his lifetime, yet he was shut down and still is!

Difference is, he knows that has nothing to do with commercial fishermen or fishing. The two in this instance are not related.

Lastly, getting fired or losing your job is not the same thing as the government stepping in, using data that has been scientifically proven to be faulty and then shutting you INDUSTRY down as a result.
If you are an accountant they did not shut down the "accountant season" and put every accountant out of work. If you flip burgers, the fast food chains are still open. Again, this has nothing to do with jobs (why the commercial season is open and recs are not) and has to do with quota, and who NMFS claims caught how much and when, period.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.