BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again, the GBFT fishing has been painfully slow, so, Ricky and I got another case of fishing A.D.D. and went to the jigging rods for some action. We have freezers full of seabass fillets, and it was a beautiful day, so we went looking for for some other tasty critters. Triggers were on the menu, so we pushed off a bit deeper and found them. They were big and plentiful, however, the grouper turned on and wouldn't let us at the triggers. After having to vent and release grouper to over 50 lbs, it was apparent that we were gonna have to find them where they didn't have their grouper body guards wearing us out. We planned on spending the night offshore but our plans changed as we were informed we had a pair of guests joining us for tuna the next morning. We headed back in , only to turn around a couple hours later and grind on tuna again.

The tuna were a no show in the morning again so we took our guests Justice and his wife Angela jigging. They had a ball pulling up seabass, and Justice caught a large gag grouper for a nice picture and healthy release. We didn't get too serious on the seabass and we moved around a bit to check out some new wrecks with the flat calm 63 degree weather. It was a fun day with Angela being high hook, and me sitting on the bridge enjoying the endless ball busting. Ran back in slick conditions with another great day under our belts. Didn't keep too many seabass, just enough for a handful of meals for Justice and Angela.

It sure is nice to end a frustrating day chasing giants with some good old fashioned jigging. :)

Justice's First ever grouper.

Big Amberjack... a real back killer!

Nice sized grey trigger.... one of many.

Beautiful Queen trigger..... they are like a dolphin,they loose color after they come out of the water.:)

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Damn John they are much bigger than my late summer NJ Triggers:thumbsup:. Coll and I have to get down there when all the bottom fish are in season.

I wanna sell my house and move.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn John they are much bigger than my late summer NJ Triggers:thumbsup:. Coll and I have to get down there when all the bottom fish are in season.

I wanna sell my house and move.

I sold my house and moved.... must be the fishing !:D:D

The triggers were large, we tried to put one in a five gallon bucket. It didn't fit no ways. :)

We could have sunk the boat with those pain in the *** grouper, we will get our revenge May 1st. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Nice!:bow:

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Capt John (Procastinator) is available to take anyone out for Sea Bass-Triggers

Capt John and myself are available to take out any groups up to 6 anglers on the 55 Hooked Up 11 for those interested in coming down to Morehead City, NC to do some bottom fishing. We also will take out smaller parties at a reduced rate and do some make-up trips as well.
We would really like to get some anglers to come down to this area and experience the fine bottom fishing that is available right now.
I had dinner last night with Capt John (Pro) and ate some of those triggers and sea bass they caught the other day and it could not have been any better. Nothing short of delicious is all I can say and you will get tired arms fishing for these tasty bottom dwellers. If you should hook into an AJ on a jigging outfit it will be just like fighting a 100 tuna as well. Give us a call or e-mail me but we will be fishing Tues, Wed and probably Thur this week with temps in the 60's and light and variable winds.
It is only an 8-10 hour ride form most DE, PA, NJ locations plus we can arrange very reasonable lodging down here just minutes from the boat.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Just a reminder we will start Sea Bass and Trigger trips next week

Any time after January 31, 2010 we are available to run bottom trips down in Morehead City, NC.

The last few days many of the boats from the North and a few local ones have pulled the plug on trolling for giants after a few hours and did some bottom fishing at many different locations and I have seen some pretty impressive catches the last few days. We did it on Sat for a few minutes and caught some nice sea bass ourselves fishing on a private boat down from Cape May last Saturday. I do not think anyone will be disappointed if they enjoy catching nice sea bass and all the other bottom dwellers that are in season down off the OBX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.