BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The giant bluefin haven't been chewing lately, so, we have been getting our fishing jollies by going to the bottom. It is really hard to drag around ballyhoo for hours on end when the whole gbft tuna fleet is coming up empty. Add to a dead bluefin bite amazing bottom returns , and, a salon full of jigging gear, we find ourselves stocking the freezer with the good stuff.

We fished bluefin til' late morning, without a sniff, then put the big stuff away and went to the bottom. A quick drop before the spread was even fully cleared, I hooked up a double on a top bottom rig of 3 pound seabass as soon as I got down in the 120 ft. clean blue water. I pulled the longriggers in, which were trailing behind, and Ricky , Gillis and Myself went to work loading the box. :thumbsup:

The bite was instant and almost all the fish were in the 3 pound plus class, some in the 5 and 6 pound class, short fish were almost nonexistant. We were drifting using bucktails, ava's and top bottom rigs, with the jigs producing the best. We caught triggers, grunts, porgies, vermillion snappers, and albacore and amberjacks one after the next. :)

Gillis came tight with a heavy lazy fish and soon a big ole doormat was helping take up space in our increasingly full 320 qt. cooler. We ended up filling all our limits and made the 28 mile run back to the harbor with big smiles, sore arms, and a full cooler.

The bottom fishing down here is nothing short of spectacular, and, should be on everybody's short list of things to do. Depending on the depth and water temp of where we choose to fish, we can pull up an amazing variety of tasty bottom dwellars, and hard pulling mid water fish like king macks, bonita, albacore, blackfin tuna, african pompano, and cobia.

Unfortunately, Grouper and snappers are now out of season, but, it is still possible to come home with buckets of fillets without them. The bottom is relatively unfished in most areas, and we seldom see another boat taking advantage of the bounty waiting below.

When bluefin season is over at the end of the month, I will be working with Capt. John on the Hooked Up II to open up the opportunity to help break your cabin fever and pull up some fish and restock your freezer. I have tons of bottom spots, and find new ones each and every day. There seems to be an endless supply of great live bottom, ledges, artificial reefs and wrecks to be explored. Most fishing is within about 30 miles of the inlet, and when warm water pushes back in, sometimes even much closer.

Contact Capt. John Sowerby , Caveman Sportfishing, for rates and available dates. :)

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
Sea Bass Bottom fishing on the 55 Hooked Up 11 (Morehead City, NC)

If good sized Sea Bass is your thing then this might just be worth the trip down to Morehead City in the near future.

Pricing although not in stone at this time should in this area

$1800 all day COMBO Gulf Stream Trolling trip with half a day bottom fishing the deep water rock piles offshore.

All day Bottom fishing for around $1200.00

1/2 day bottom fishing only for around $800.00

All day Combo Giant Bluefin trolling trip with up to 3-4 hours of bottom fishing until January 31, 2010 when the GBT season closes. $1400.00. These would be special trips and contact us if interested in the specific details.

These prices are for up to 6 anglers maximum and currently there is a 15 per angler daily limit on Sea Bass.

Send an e-mail or call me (609) 425-1970 (Capt John) as I am staying on the boat down in MHC and we can discuss this further. We will match up small parties and do our best to accommodate small groups up to 6 anglers that might want to come down for some world class bottom fishing.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lately, we have not ventured out into the deeper warmer waters because we have been concentrating on the GBFT closer to home. However, the deeper warmer wrecks and live bottom hold even more variety than the inshore waters. Hopefully when bluefin is done, I can get out there and show you all what is cruising the greater depths. Here are some pics from one of our last deeper water jigging sessions. Looks like fun doesn't it ? :D

That is a 320 qt. ssi cooler loaded with some of the best eating fish known to man. :D

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Got the Queen AND the Warsaw. Not to mention the reds and scrawberries Very nice catch.

Lately, we have not ventured out into the deeper warmer waters because we have been concentrating on the GBFT closer to home. However, the deeper warmer wrecks and live bottom hold even more variety than the inshore waters. Hopefully when bluefin is done, I can get out there and show you all what is cruising the greater depths. Here are some pics from one of our last deeper water jigging sessions. Looks like fun doesn't it ? :D

That is a 320 qt. ssi cooler loaded with some of the best eating fish known to man. :D

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Sold!!!

Who here would like to form a 6 person group charter and do a day of bottom fishing?

I can take two guys in my truck with three coolers, rods and gear, this is a long drive but not bad with sharing the drive.

Capt John, I will call you late about this, I want to see what interst we can generate here.

Captn Joe

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Nice Queen Trigger!! Thats an outstanding haul:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when does the snapper & grouper open back up ?
Grouper opens back up May 1 st. Snapper on the other hand is another question. Vermillions are scheduled to open in May also, however red snapper is up in the air and I would not be shocked to see a 2 year shut down on them. Even with all the closures there is still a lot to fill the box with. Amberjacks are also not bad eating. I always heard that they weren't that good of table fare, until I tried them. Now I always bring back one for the table. :thumbsup:

The locals love to eat king mackeral, and it is one of the most popular fish to target down here. I don't really care for them, but, we sure catch our share of them while jigging. :)

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
What I saw today

In the past I never paid much attention to what we saw on the bottom except the haystacks of bunker since we were looking for massive bait balls that attract Giant Bluefin Tuna. On today's trip I was constantly looking for the tell tale marks of large schools of big Sea Bass and did I see them throughout the day on so many different pieces of bottom along with what ever else is swimming down there on the hard corral high spots. I must have trolled over at least 15-20 different locations that were loaded with bottom life and not one boat within 2-3 miles of us today.
We fished a temperature break that went from 48 degrees to 65 degrees in less than a few miles but even with the great hard temperature break there were no tuna bites by any boats that we know of so bottom fishing looks to something we may start doing real soon unless the tuna bite turns on in the next couple of days and it just might with calm seas and temperatures in the 50's later this week. Either way there is so many areas to bottom fish down here that hold life and I have seen it with my own eyes as I now watch for these locations while trolling for GBT and really am amazed at what I am seeing on my fishfinder even though in the past I never paid much attention to what was down there swimming around ledges and hard bottom as it was all about GBT for me.
I do not know how to post pictures as my wife Capt Diana always did it for me when Fish Pix was in use so I am sending Capt John ( Pro) a picture of a nice large King Mack we caught today and heard a monster 90 lb Amber Jack was also caught today. I will try to take a few pictures and get them posted on what the sea life looks like on my fishfinder the next couple of days.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
In the past I never paid much attention to what we saw on the bottom except the haystacks of bunker since we were looking for massive bait balls that attract Giant Bluefin Tuna. On today's trip I was constantly looking for the tell tale marks of large schools of big Sea Bass and did I see them throughout the day on so many different pieces of bottom along with what ever else is swimming down there on the hard corral high spots. I must have trolled over at least 15-20 different locations that were loaded with bottom life and not one boat within 2-3 miles of us today.
We fished a temperature break that went from 48 degrees to 65 degrees in less than a few miles but even with the great hard temperature break there were no tuna bites by any boats that we know of so bottom fishing looks to something we may start doing real soon unless the tuna bite turns on in the next couple of days and it just might with calm seas and temperatures in the 50's later this week. Either way there is so many areas to bottom fish down here that hold life and I have seen it with my own eyes as I now watch for these locations while trolling for GBT and really am amazed at what I am seeing on my fishfinder even though in the past I never paid much attention to what was down there swimming around ledges and hard bottom as it was all about GBT for me.
I do not know how to post pictures as my wife Capt Diana always did it for me when Fish Pix was in use so I am sending Capt John ( Pro) a picture of a nice large King Mack we caught today and heard a monster 90 lb Amber Jack was also caught today. I will try to take a few pictures and get them posted on what the sea life looks like on my fishfinder the next couple of days.
And it's a whole new game trying to differentiate what marks are what down there since there are so many different species. Haystacks can be triggers, bass, beeliners, AJ's, chickens, etc. The variety is amazing. There's nothing more fun to me than fishing those live bottoms in the Carolinas.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.