·
Registered
16,572 Posts
Looks like an immature loon?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Could be a commerant (sp?)

I spent a week up in northwestern ontario on Eagle Lake. Loons are really cool birds. They'll be floating around on the surface, they'll dive & then come up like 100 yards from where you last saw them. They have that great unmistakable call too.

·
Registered
16,572 Posts
Not a cormorant, possibly a species of Grebe though. Loons are awesome to hear MCH. Used to spend some time on Ashby Lake in Ontario. Sitting on the porch sipping martinis listening to the loons....ahhh..

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I'm not a bird expert so I wasn't sure. I did see a really cool show on discovery (maybe?) about this dude in Thiland or Burma that would hand raise comorants (I think that's what they were) & train them to fish for him. He would be out in a little canoe with all these birds that would dive for him & come up with fish. Apperently it's an extremley old school method of fishing that's been going on for generations. Cool stuff.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'm not a bird expert so I wasn't sure. I did see a really cool show on discovery (maybe?) about this dude in Thiland or Burma that would hand raise comorants (I think that's what they were) & train them to fish for him. He would be out in a little canoe with all these birds that would dive for him & come up with fish. Apperently it's an extremley old school method of fishing that's been going on for generations. Cool stuff.
Think we could apply this method to Striper fishing? Save a lot of money on gear... :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dont know what they are called, but I see them swimming around diving for bait. They can swim underwater for near 100ft and stay under for a good 40 seconds. I never saw one fly, probably wasn't hurt.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
DESCRIPTION

summer coat:
black and white "checkered" back and wings, black head, white belly and white under wings, white "necklace" (band) around the throat

winter coat:
dark gray head and neck, grayish feathers with white spots
young birds have grayish feathers, white belly and white under wings
large, pointed, black bill; red eyes
average weight is 4.1 kg (9 lbs); can vary from 2.7 to 6.3 kg (6 to 14 lbs)
length 80 cm (almost a meter from bill to tip of outstretched feet)
wingspan 1.2 meters (4 ft)

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Norther Gannet Juviniled are dark or black in color, the beab looks rightish, the whole bird looks shaped right. There are only a few birds up here with a beak like that, it has to be one of the gannets/boobies or even a cormorant type.

Was it good bait?

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Loon.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Originally posted by NIGHTSTRIKES:
I stumbled upon this little guy while plugging
the surf the other morning.Looked Injured He
Couldn't Fly.. I thought It Might of Been One
Of These Gannets that I See High Diving Into
the Surf. Anybody regconize this Bird ?//

It's a Common Loon in winter plumage.

[ 12-03-2004, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Sergeant Slough ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
You are 100% correct, SS. You can tell by the feet that it's a swimming bird. Gannets don't have that much webbing on their feet, and their bills aren't as straight as the one in the pics. It could have been lost in that last big storm we got. I'm not sure how many immature loons we get around here, though we get quite a few adults in the winter.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I BET YOU THEN SLIT HIS THROAT AND MADE SNAPPER SOUP OUT OF HIM , ROB.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by NIGHTSTRIKES:

Thanks Guys,
I knew you's would come thru with a anwser for
me... I Don't really know how this little guy
made out.. He Diffently Wasn't Able to Move
Because I Was Able To Touch Him..

Thanks Again..,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts