BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were out today around 730am just idling around on the boat and eating some breakfast from Great Bay Marina{ It was too nice to sit inside} and as we were transiting the area by the Fish Factory we saw a Seal pop his head up and look around and dive back under. He did surface 1 more time and that was it. Is this normal to see here? Kinda surprised the heck out of us.

·
Registered
673 Posts
i saw one in jan off the barnegat light jetty last year. I think its pretty normal , i heard that they are becoming more common. not sure why.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Saw a seal around the Stink House last year and also at Wreck Inlet. He hung around the boat for about a hour. We were chunking bunker and I think it was an easy meal for him.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Matt, I saw two along the sod bank by the old coastguard station on sat.I don,t know what kind of seals they are ,but they look pretty big!
regards, Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
Its normal this time of year and thru the winter to see them around. I remember a couple of winters ago I was delivering a pizza to a house boat on the margate causway, as I was walking up to the boat I saw what looked like a huge dog sitting on his neighbors porch, when I got closer it let out a yelp and dove in the water, scared me pretty good. I also used to see them all the time when I used to be a clammer.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Years ago i was walking on manasquan beach and came up on something that looked like an enormous piece of baked chicken laying on the sand. It had no head and was bitten up here and there. It was a seal and it was very big. probably weighed 200-300 pounds. This was like midsummer. it was the first time i realized tat there were seals in these waters.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah just BBQ em just like you would a pig. The young fuzzy ones are best, just sneak up on them and club em over the head. the skins make really nice winter slippers too if your crafty like that

·
Registered
820 Posts
Last year i was driving on the beach down in Stone Harbor and came upon one laying there like it was dead. After going a bit closer it turned and looked at me. I called the police to get the animal rescue people out because it didn't look like it was in good health. After listening to the cops radio, I found out that 18 seals were reported beached between Stone Harbor and Ocean City. They couldn't expleain why... I think it was around mid-december.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
what do you think happened to that seal that had no head and was bitten up. sharks??

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I saw one in March while fishing at Graviling Point. I only saw it once. They eat alot of fish don't they.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are also river otters in these waters. We get them up the Bass River in the basin by the Yachting Center. You'll also see them at the cuts on the Mullica sitting on the sod banks. They are big and can easily be mistaken for seals.

·
Registered
994 Posts
They are there every year and theres usually 3-6 of them on a certain bank or close to it where you mentioned. Very cool to watch. We usually approach them slowly, shut down the engines, and enjoy the show. Also saw a Rutgers research vessel observing them one time. Not river otters(no tail/or fur), but im not sure what type of seal.

[ 11-22-2005, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Emily Lynn ]

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I've seen dozens of those eel trap raiders in the LBI area. Anytime I see one when fishing, I try to move!

We once had one follow us while trolling. He broke water and made eye contatct with us for 10 minutes before submerging for good.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts