BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen a seal off the beach or in the inlet before? :eek:

I forgot to post this in my report in the thread but Russ stated nothing but report and wanted to stick to that.. :eek:

We has some very bad camrea phone pictures of a seal in our marina getting up on a dock and swimming around.. Crazist thing i've ever seen...
Was fishing a few minutes later and saw it swimming in the inlet..

It was kinda sitting like a otter would. I'm assuming it was on its back just floting along with it head poking up and out of the water..

Is this uncommon at all?

Thanks

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
I saw one in Barnegat Inlet two weeks ago.....

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
seals

saw one at CMP and one at Higbee Beach years back:) :) :p

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
see them down holgate Dec-Mar fairly regular. got good pix of a harp seal on the sand of barney light in april 05. called the MMSC in july 07 to get a sick hooded seal picked up, also on barney light. stockton college has (or use to when I was there) a seal watch team that sets up a blind and watches them on little beach. documents mating behavior, feeding, counts numbers, etc. freezing their butts off in the name of credits :D . seals are a lot more common to NJ than people think.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
ReadyJettyGo said:
I saw one in Barnegat Inlet two weeks ago.....
I saw this same seal, on the same day. It kind of surprised me at how big it was. I was expecting to see something like you see on TV with a ball balanced on it's nose, about the size of a meduim size dog. The one RJG told me about, and then I walked out and saw was much, much bigger. When it's head was bobbing up out of the water (watching me I guess) it looked like it was the size of a full-face motorcycle helmet. The seal itself must have been a couple hundred pounds. After seeing that, it makes sense that anything warm blooded living in water that is in the 30s must have some bulk to survive.

·
Registered
839 Posts
1st wk of January, at end of north jetty, IBSP, noticed something to my right,, gave me a good adrenaline surge,, black and grey, large head, was a little too close for comfort,, though it was in the water and I was tossing metal,, I become concerned it may go for my metal so I moved closer to shore,, neat sighting

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've seen seals at Gravelling Point before. One time it was near dusk and the thing just came floating by. I saw it's head and eyes and it scared the crap out of me. Nearly jumped out of my waders before I realized what it was.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
they come thru the inlet in barnegat every single year! there are actually pepole who know the date and watch them come in and out..

they are harbour seals and they are coming in to spawn, and get into the food which is easier for them to find with less competitions!

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This seal was about the size of a medium/large dog about the size of a 70-80lb dog... Funny how they just stare at you..... Very cautious of there selves..

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
sportfishingusa said:
they are harbour seals and they are coming in to spawn
I think someone needs another lesson on the birds and the bees ;)

Seals are mammals... so like humans, they don't spawn :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Caught a glimpse of one back in the fall of 2005 here in the marina. It was pulling striper carcasses onto the bank.

Fishpicker has told us that there around alot coming thru the inlet and feeding around the commercial docks.

Here's the pics of our little visitor.

Mary @ Off the Hook

·
Registered
644 Posts
OffTheHook said:
Caught a glimpse of one back in the fall of 2005 here in the marina. It was pulling striper carcasses onto the bank.

Fishpicker has told us that there around alot coming thru the inlet and feeding around the commercial docks.

Here's the pics of our little visitor.

Mary @ Off the Hook

are you sure it wasn't a deer Mary???!!!:D

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
JerseyZuks said:
I think someone needs another lesson on the birds and the bees ;)

Seals are mammals... so like humans, they don't spawn :D :D :D

Sorry jerseyzuks,

After then hump they come to relieve their menstral buldge and cramping. lol hahahah ;) :D

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
this is the one I saw on LBI in Apr 05

shortly after saying cheese the seal merrily went back into the water. had it hung around or gone higher above the tide line I would have called MMSC. As I did in July 07 for the hooded seal.

When the water is cold there is a good chance their just taking a break and getting some sun. When you see artic seals on the beach in July, something is wrong. I think 4-5 different types of seals can be found in NJ waters.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Catch my Drift said:
Has anyone ever seen a seal off the beach or in the inlet before? :eek:

I forgot to post this in my report in the thread but Russ stated nothing but report and wanted to stick to that.. :eek:

We has some very bad camrea phone pictures of a seal in our marina getting up on a dock and swimming around.. Crazist thing i've ever seen...
Was fishing a few minutes later and saw it swimming in the inlet..

It was kinda sitting like a otter would. I'm assuming it was on its back just floting along with it head poking up and out of the water..

Is this uncommon at all?

Thanks
Quite common in late winter/early spring all along Jersey coast inlet areas.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I have seen them in January and February on the rocks. Much uglier than you would think, blotchy gray and white. Some people at my marina said there has been one spending the winter on one of the fingers docks for the past two years, looked for him but never saw him. That dock got demolished in one of the blows though.

RyanF

1 - 20 of 29 Posts