BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've read in a few post over the past weeks seals have been spotted in the surf around sea isle an oc. I've heard of wayward seals but in all my 22 years at the shore and of living for that matter have never seen one or heard first hand of any one seeing a seal. Any info, is this normal migration does this happen often? Where is my best bet of seeing one? :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't know much about seals but I saw a bunch of them in the wash while I was in Cape Cod this past October. They were a nuisance.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Actually those reports are of really fat dachsunds with their ears trimmed off. :D

Harbor seals can sometimes be seen this time of year, particularly if it's cold. I believe South Jersey is the southern extremity of their range.

I once had to help the Coasties fish a dead Spotted Harbor Seal out of my dad's slip. When I walked down the ramp and spotted it, I just thought it was asleep. But when it kept washing back and forth and bumping into the floating dock I realized something wasn't right. We called the Coasties and they came over with a RIB and got it. I guess they gave it to Bob Schoelkopf at the Brigantine Marine Mammal Stranding Center to dissect it and see how it died.

Or maybe the Coasties ate it? It was right in the middle of the time when they were down to eating MRE's due to Clinton's budget cuts. :D

Catch

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
YES THEY ARE NOT ALL THAT RARE.ABOUT 4 OR 5 YEARS AGO THERE WAS ONE ON THE COAST GUARD SIDE OF CAPE MAY INLET,HE WAS AROUND THERE FOR A COUPLE MONTHE IN EARLY FALL . YEARS AGO SAW ONE ON JACK'S spot BUOY.ONE OF THE OCEAN CITY MD BOATS SAID HE HAS BEEN THERE OFF AND ON FOR A FEW YEARS.WHEN I FIRST HEARD IT ON THE RADIO I THOUGHT THEY WER NUTS OR PULLING PEOPLES LEGS.JUST LAST WEEK CAPT.BADFINGERS WAS TELLING ME ABOUT SOME SEALS.LAST YEAR THERE WAS A BUN REPORTED ONHERE IN THE MULLICA RIVER.OTHERS WILL REPORT ON HERE SOON.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
HEREFORD Inlet!!! Thru out the years Gunning Hereford in front of the big sand bar I have had A lot of seals Swim thru my Decoys, They drive my retreivers crazy when the pop up in front of us and ck out the area.

My last Chesapeak Bay retreiver Gunner would jump in and swim right up to one and get within 10' only to have it dive and come up behind him to tease play etc. The rock wall accross from the sand bar and to the ocean side of Dads place would be a good bet with a good set of field glasses. Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Brigantine Animal Rescue. Seriously. I've never seen one in the wild, but they take in local seals that have been injured. I went about 3 years ago and they had a few that were "caught" locally w/ an injury, disease, etc. They were in a holding tank. They'll be able to tell you all about the local seal population.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Last march and april I saw 3or4 in the ICWW,We also had 1 right next to us in the rips,he was much larger than the others,I don`t think he was a harbor seal.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Seals are a common sight in our waters in the winter. I've seen them in the back bays, inlets, along the beaches and in the Cape May rips and Delaware Bay.

Previous comments about Hereford and Cold Spring Inlets are absolutely true. See them all the time there. December thru March, typically.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Last March we were anchored in the back chunking for stripers. Two seals kept surfacing and past us about fifty feet away. They just stuck their heads up and let the tide carry them by us.

We stared at them and they stared at us. We kept watching and they headed way up into Jenkins sound between Stone Harbor and Wildwood. Didn't seem to bother the stripers.

·
Administrator
7,669 Posts
This spring(late March/early April) I was fishing @ drag @ night often.
I was harrassed by seals for a couple of consecutive nights.
They had no fear, and would hold themselves right next to the boat. Pretty wild seeing them so close for so long, but the fishing was poor.
On of'em had some sort of transmitter?? strapped to him.
Anyhow, It's not uncommon.

REN

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I saw one in the middle of the summer of 99' off Cape May Point. Its head was as big as a basketball. I dont know what kind it was but it was huge. We thought it was someone swimming till it got close. Never seen any since.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I dont know the best place to go to see them,but ill tell ya what i seen one in the rips Jan.4th 2004,anyone else see it??? Vinny Pastella

·
Registered
790 Posts
have seen some seals in the Great Bay area the last few years here... Hanging out at the old fish factory and surrounding islands... not uncommon at all....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Saw one last year by the LONGPORT BRIDGE. Have seen several the last few years. I suspect that prior to the bass fishery rebounding, we all had our boats out of the water by November?

Tight Lines & Safe Returns,
Saltshaker

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
we had 2 seals in Whale Creek in Strathmere last spring,stayed around until first of May.I feed them a few herring a few times,fun to watch

·
Registered
116 Posts
Saw a momma and a baby seal sunning themselves on the sod banks near Jarvis Sound early last April. Have also seen a few others in CM Harbor. Cool to watch and don't seem to bother anyone.

Unlike the river otters, although their even cooler to watch, they make a damn mess on the docks and floats. Haven't seem them in a couple years though.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Several years ago, a large brown Seal was on the rock pile in the Avolon side of the TI bridge in November. Drew a crowd, as It was easily seen as you drove over the bridge, or passed by on the boat under the bridge. If I recall, it stayed for little over a week, and then left.

Very cool to watch it go into the water, feed, and then climb back out.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts