BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys heres the deal I am going to NC at the end of the month. This will be my first trip to NC and am in the need of some advise. I as most on this site have alot of equipment but I do not do this type of fishing locally. By that I mean we will be mostly jigging for the local fare. Cobia,snapper,jacks and such I am looking for rod opinions I do prefer to jig with spinning tackle but I want to have what I need. Because in reality I will not go there much something I could use up here also would be a plus. Dollars are always an issue but I fish with a little better than average equipment. Let me hear your opinions.Kevin (Poison) chime in I may be calling on you. Thanks TJ

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
here is a good video for the NC AJ fishing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZsiRtT2jrc

that rod was made for the trip, the tip is a little heavy, but jigs ok
but it does handle the fish nice.

the jig color and shape down there seemed important, at least the trips i have been on.;)

we had a variety of rod and reel combos to use,
of course the high end are always nice.

the phenix blanks are a GREAT choice. i just got these, and they are SWEET.
a couple 3kings blanks from JM will work well.
we used the riley blank with success.
the bushido or black hole will work.

a big AJ will pull some line, so you need a reel that will hold enough.
a stella20K or the accurate 20 or 30 would be top end.

you could get away with smaller reels, using lighter line.
but if the Big AJ are around you need a little heavier setup.

i used a 10K and 20K stella on my budget series rod. and riley and oti with success.
next trip the SR20 will be my choice. with a phenix rod,

good luck.
best bet is to stop at a builder that has fished for AJ and knows what rod action is good.
take the time in the shop to feel the differance, take the time to get the right rod,,,and jigs;)

Time is getting short for you, but it only takes a few hours to get setup right.
feel the rods or blanks.

good luck

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Hey, what a small world. I am going to NC at the end of the month as well.:D Furthermore, I will be fishing with Captain John on the Procrastinator.

When I spoke with Capt John last week I think that he said that we may be using jigs that weigh between 150 and 350 grams, and that 60 to 80 pound braid is the standard. If this is in the right ballpark, I think that you can go one of several routes.

First, when we were fishing this past Saturday on my boat, Ed had a 7', 6" acid wrap rod made by Kevin Bogan. IMO, this rod has a great feel and has plenty of backbone (it is a heavy blank) and was quite affordable. Also, we went with a wrapped handle to minimize the weight. Also, this rod would be perfect for deep water cod and tile fishing, as well as jigging tuna in NJ. The only con I would have on this rod is that it is longer and heavier than the rods that I will mention below and if you are going to be jigging for 6 to 8 hours straight, this rod may be more work.

Your second option is to go the lightweight route. Companies such as OTI, Spinal (and if you want to save money, Shimano) make these light weight rods. Also, people like Paul take these blanks and will customize them for you. You can get these either in a conventional or spinning setup.

These rods are very lightweight while offering plenty of backbone. The one con is that you are usually not going to use this rod for anything else other than jigging. For example, I would never use it to bottom fish.

In addition to the above, you need to match up the rod with a reel. Generally speaking I prefer a one speed reel like a Saltiga 30 because I can use that reel for just about anything in the ocean that weighs between 5 and 200 pounds, and on any rod.

If you go the spinning rod route, you will need a top end spinning reel. You have the Shimano Sargosa's which are in the $250 to $300 range. If you go a step up, be prepared to spend between $600 and $1000.

Having said all this Tim, I am a tackle whore and have extra gear. I can easily bring an extra jigging setup for you. If you want a spinning set-up I have a Stella 10000FA on a nice lightweight but very stout rod. Just let me know.

Peter

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Peter it is a small world and I think I am in the same boat as you:D.Thanks for the info Peter I knew you would have some good advice I just did not want to keep asking you to many questions. I liked the set up Ed was using but I like a fatter grip then the on that rod. I also understand if I go with the shorter style it may only have one function. Thank You.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts