BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Also believe we're looking at pushing it a few weeks back water temps still in the 30's still have a fair amount of winter left and march is sure to throw us a few curve balls
water temp off asbury park today was 34 near atlantic city
38..we have a ways to go
cabin fever is killing me

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
I don't think we have much to worry about. The early resident bass bite was goofy last year but the migrating fish will come. I know that nothing would stop me from a little reproductive activities after a long winter.

RyanF

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
This was an unfriendly winter for fishing...I cant remember a winter this cold as long as i've been striper fishing...Back in 2008 it took until almost april for the migration to hit the backwater because it was cold, but not as cold as this year...

Gorden Muller broke the 20 pound mark late evening on April 5th and brought it in first thing in the morning on April 6th. to get the $100 gift certificate​

IN 2007 with a somewhat milder winter it took until end of march before the migration made their way into the backwater

Gordon Mueller fished for the 1st fish over 20 lb 3/30/07​

In 2006 it happened a little earlier in march for me, but it again was a milder winter than '07

"all caught on my boat"...These pictures are from the contest that Absecon Bay has every year and their web site....​

So my prediction is a late start for the migration to hit the bay's and backwaters. My guess will be the second week April for the migration of bigger fish to find their way in our waters..I did catch keeper sized stripers in early march in all 3 years posted but I believe them to be residents.. Come March I will be fishing the warmest water I can find to try and find these fish until the migration starts...Again this is only my opinion and not based on science...​

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I feel my first keeper size bass in OC area will be april 1st. Usually march 15th. The water pouring down Oc streets into the drains is aprox. 33 deg. Thousands of gallons. I figure the back bay is toast for awhile. Power plant may produce earlier as usuall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.