1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It Seems Almost Everything On The Market This
Year For Fishermen as Adverstised As "NEW" is
"RED" ..
Bleeding(RED) Weights,Hooks,Leaders & Line etc...

Do You Think The Color "RED" Makes Your
Presentation Invisible To Fish Under The
Water ???

Doe's It Really Disappear ???

Or Is This Just Something To Catch The
Fishermen's Eye To Try Something New ???

[ 01-26-2005, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
They advertise the hooks as "bleeding red" but the line as "disappearing" ????

In Canada two years ago while backtroling with Lindy type jigs for Walleye, rigs with regular hooks outproduced the ones with red hooks.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The wavelenght of light that allows us to see red turns to black the fastest, in less depth of water than any other color (except black itself). This trend to red does seem to be the sellers catching fishermen more than anything else - I've noticed no difference with regard to hook color, line color in red than with the standards used for years by many of us. Watch out for the Gami bleeding red hooks - the red wears off to gold color in one outing in the surf.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
It can make a differance in super clear water,like the back bays in Aug,But I think it really doesn't make a difference. I have read several reports in magazines about the catch ratio with them. Seems pretty even for the most part. The finish on the hooks wears off quickly,more in the surf due to the sand.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I mentioned in another thread that you can dye your own hooks etc. with "Dykem" red layout fluid. If you want to touch up your existing hooks, you will make them look brand new. I think this may even be the stuff the mng.use. I really don,t know what happens to red in the water but give Fin-s #118 red ice shad a try. For me it out performs all other colors to the point that I seldom throw anything else.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
How is the mono line invisible and the hooks visible.It seems like a scam.Why change what has worked for so many years.I always believed that smell was the number one reason that fish went after a bait or a lure.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
It catches fisherman more than fish I think but looks cool when you dress your plugs up with them.

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
The guy at Finatics in O.C. said it catches more fishermen than fish.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I think you can look at this three ways: baitfishing, plugging and playing around.

For bait, I've used just about everything and so long as there is a hunk of meat on the hook and the fish are in the mood you catch them.

For plugging, Color does at times seem to be more important in that the right color generates intereest in the fish to either look or hit the lure.

The playing around part is the fun of fooling with these colored lines, hooks, beads, tubes, rubber jigs, plug colors that keeps fishing interesting for us. It is seperate from the fishing in my mind but contributes to the overall enjoyment for many anglers.

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
Yes, red is the first color to go, to our eyes. Are the fishes eyes the same as ours, is the question? Who knows what they see, and do they know what it is that they see. Do they have the intelligence to tell what a hook is? Do they know what line is? Ya gotta realize these same fish are prepared to sacrifice their lives for a plastic lure. Are we giving the fish more credit than we should? Now keep in mind, Ding wears red suspenders, so what!!! LOL, HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Nightstrikes does it again!! Great Post strikes

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
here's some good tid bits I found off the web

Fish see colors and can distinguish shapes. Research has shown that fish are responsive to the color spectrum, and can see many shades of color. Higher-evolved fish can see reds and blues better than humans. Scientists have proven that salmonidae can see colors in the infrared and ultraviolet wavelengths that are beyond human perception.

Although fish can distinguish colors, anglers must remember that water affects color. Blue wavelengths penetrate the deepest into water, whereas reds penetrate the least. The last color visible to a fish at night is blue, and blue is the first color the fish sees in the morning. The sequence in which the color spectrum disappears from the water at night is red, orange, yellow, green and blue. It reappears with daylight in reverse order.

Now, with that, it needs to be taken in perspective.

as in this photo I found...

Figure 2. Colors as seen and photographed underwater are severely affected by the massive blue/green filter factor of ocean water. Unless filmmakers correct for the cyan light, beauty and color remain disguised

you make the call, I for one lean towards the red hooks.

[ 02-01-2005, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: design ]

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Originally posted by CAPTKIRK:
I mentioned in another thread that you can dye your own hooks etc. with "Dykem" red layout fluid. If you want to touch up your existing hooks, you will make them look brand new. I think this may even be the stuff the mng.use. I really don,t know what happens to red in the water but give Fin-s #118 red ice shad a try. For me it out performs all other colors to the point that I seldom throw anything else.
Where do you get the "Dykem",I'm interested, I've tried the red line and it doesn't seem to help, but the red hooks, that's my cup of tea, I have had great luck with them, sooooo, where can I get some of that stuff??????

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I got the "Dykem Steel Red" layout fluid in Millville @ Industrial Supplies on Wade Blvd. Any supplier that caters to factories or machine shops should carry it. It comes in a 4 oz. container with brush for around $5.00. Dries within seconds and looks like a factory job.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
The only attracting part of blood to a fish is the SCENT

A complete gimmick

Color has nothing to do with it, as far as red is concerned

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.