BASS BARN banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not the hat in hand type of guy and honestly feel a bit awkward doing this but I am seeking sponsorship donations for the MS Challenge 50 mile walk.

I have never done anything like this before, well once as a kid for who knows what (only 14 miles)but that doesn't really count. I am going to do the 3 day walk-a-thon to help raise money for the Multiple Sclerosis Society.

For those of you not familiar with MS, and believe me I was not until about 3 years ago, it is a progressive degenerative neurologic condition affecting the central nervous system. Symptoms vary widely from person to person and can be severe and debilitating or may be less serious, there is no real rhyme or reason to the disease or its course. There is no cure as yet and the medical treatments available today, about 4 or 5, only alter the course of the condition and can in some cases prove rather valuable in staving off some of the truly debilitating effects for quite a while.

I know this because.......well......I have MS.

Now I know, those of you who have met me or know me fairly well might be a bit surprised that I have any type of condition at all, being fat does not count :D , because I am strong, healthy and on the go much of the time, believe me I am shocked too. But the MRIs don't lie and the symptoms I have experienced reinforced what the pictures show. I almost did not get my Captain's license because of this. The USCG was not interested in my medical stability nor the fact that I passed all the requirements. They denied me the license at first. Only with the help of my Doctor was I able to convince them that I was fit for duty as a charter boat Captain. It took an entire season to get them to relent.

If you would like to sponsor me for this walk please send your donations to:

Jim D'Agostino, Jr.
8114 Jeanes Street, Apt A
Philadelphia, Pa, 19111

Make the checks payable to: National MS Society

I want to thank you all for reading this message and allowing me to share something that I have kept essentially a secret since the day I found out. I was raised to be rather secretive....all you other goomba's out there know what I am talking about....but getting this out here seems to be a bit theraputic.

[ 07-21-2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Bawugna ]

1 - 1 of 1 Posts