BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
884 Posts
I know two people who went this route, one had no issues at all, bolted it on off they went. The other guy had some noise in the drive, he called they said drive it so that the gears can wear in, he did still made noise. He called they sent a new one immediately no questions asked, bolted it on and no problems since. I have heard you have to follow there break in period closely but other than that they seem to be a good company to deal with. Good Luck

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
anyone have any info on these products? company? the cost they advertise is 795.00 for a completely new not reman lower unit they are aftermarket . anyone with the good,bad or ugly? saw it in the boat us mag.

http://www.sterndrive.cc/

I put one on my Evinrude after I wacked it this summer hitting something submerged, DUNK recommended them highly and so far so good. The only issue is you have to break it in yourself, it takes about 10 - 20 hours to do so you won't be running full out up front but the cost outweighs the work.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies,that's what I was hoping to hear. When I called them to find out some info they told me that the unit would be covered under a 3 year warranty even if you hit something:huh: almost sounds to good to be true

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Its gonna be an extra $50 for S&H unless the marina stocks them but still a great deal. the warranty is even transferable if you sell the motor:thumbsup:

Also, the evinrude ones are greyish for some reason, I don't know why they don't paint them white like the motors but it is what it is.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its gonna be an extra $50 for S&H unless the marina stocks them but still a great deal. the warranty is even transferable if you sell the motor:thumbsup:

Also, the evinrude ones are greyish for some reason, I don't know why they don't paint them white like the motors but it is what it is.
thats what the saleswoman said it would be for shipping due to the long shaft:rolleyes: but like you said a great deal all the way

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
I put one on my Evinrude after I wacked it this summer hitting something submerged, DUNK recommended them highly and so far so good. The only issue is you have to break it in yourself, it takes about 10 - 20 hours to do so you won't be running full out up front but the cost outweighs the work.
I've got one on my 95' 150 ProV Yam. I think breakin on them is critcal. They don't lap the gears so you need to change gear oil after 10hrs and then I recommend again at 20-25hrs. At the first oil change I saw quite a bit of metal on the magnetic drain plugs both top and bottom, but that's just the gears wearing in together.

Mine has been perfect at 45-50hrs and I actually picked up speed with it. The old yam gearcase would run 62-63mph. The SEI runs 65-66mph on the 20ft Key Hopper flats boat.. But then again I had the prop worked by Eastern so I'm not sure if it was the gearcase or the prop for the speed increase..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Buyer be very aware with SEI Sterndrives

anyone have any info on these products? company? the cost they advertise is 795.00 for a completely new not reman lower unit they are aftermarket . anyone with the good,bad or ugly? saw it in the boat us mag.

http://www.sterndrive.cc/
Although this post is older - there are a couple request for recent information. Seems the problems I have are the same as they have always been with this company.

Buyer beware with SEI Sterndrives. Nothing but trouble trouble trouble for me. I have one, bought it brand new, had it professionally installed by a qualified mechanic that is familiar with my boat, merc sterndrives and SEI Sterndrives in particular. Honestly I wish I had never put an SEI Sterndrive on my boat. It has been an unmitigated disaster. It has broken down 3 times in 3 months. It's now on its 2nd cross country trip to Florida. With all the additional repair costs and towing fees I have spend 4 times the price of the original SEI Sterndrive leg. Make sure your Sea tow subscription is up to date - good advice! I have used mine 4 times since purchasing my SEI Sterndrive all because of leg failure.

With the money I have spent (now thousands) on (sea) towing, repairs, shipping and boat hauling I could have bought a brand new mercruiser sterndrive and had it installed by one of their technicians at the dealer. With money left over for beer and gas. I did not want to buy the absolute grief I have gone through with SEI and the SEI Sterndirve. Three harrowing on the water mishaps. Endangering my family and friends. Wife refuses to get into the boat with me anymore because of the SEI Sterndrive leg failures. My daughter who grew up boat in a boating family is now afraid to go on the boat.

And you are on your own when you phone them. No help at SEI. Karl will quote you warranty and Justin the GM will refuse to help in any way. The last time they called they questioned whether or not I was operating my boat properly. To quote "..if we take one of these legs and put it on one of our test boats and take it to the lake we can get them to fail in 20 minutes as well..." really... how? I haven't had all three of mine past breakin before they break down.

1st time - less than 15 hours on the leg still on break in - still at low RPM's water pump impellor splines spun. Overheated my engine causing damage, stranding us on the water for hours, incurring tow bills, trailering fees, mechanics costs for repairs to the BRAND NEW SEI Sterndrive leg and to my engine, exhaust and engine compartment. When I called SEI on this matter I was informed it was a maintenance issue/part and technically not a manufacturing failure. Although they replaced the part at no cost it was only after my mechanic called, took a picture and called back that they offered to replace the part. Then we had to wait for shipping of the part (that we had to pay for) only to get a part that is standard off the shelf which i could bought locally for half the cost of shipping. Boat 3 weeks out of the water.

2nd time - less that 5 hours after the water pump was replaced the leg packed it in. started to make horrific grinding and thumping noises. Didn't even make it to marina for haul out. Another stranding, towing cost, trailering/hauling, mechanic cost and shipping cost. Now I have to pay for the shipping all the way to Florida. 8 weeks before I get my boat back in the water. Whenever I called SEI Sterndrive I got misdirection and warranty quotes. No idea of the failure, when it will be fixed and when i could enjoy the priveldge of shipping both the top and bottom part of the leg back across the country. Best yet my mechanic had another SEI Sterndrive leg in his shop which he had ordered for another customer who now of course wanted nothing to do with having witnessed my disastrous experiences first hand. SEI Sterndrive however would not let my mechanic put the new SEI leg on the boat even though they knew they were going to have to ship a brand new upper and completely rebuilt lower leg across the country. Absolutely disconnected from reality.

3rd time - at exactly 20 hours break in time. Less than 1 hour after my mechanic replaced the oil in the leg. Finding absolutely no filings or contaminants of any kind in the leg oil. Catastrophic failure of the SEI Sterndrive. At 3000 rpm cruising the leg came out of foward gear and slammed into reverse. Jamming the leg into reverse. No way to get it to neutral and no way to get to forward. Stranded for the 3rd time on the water well into the wee hours of the morning, towing bill, marina slip rental (course in peak season) trailering, mechanic, shipping, the works. Another cross country shipment to Florida to SEI Sterndrive.

Now of course this time when I called SEI Sterndrive are just downright dismissive. They are now stating that they can't possibly be responsible for the failure of the leg because they "...were not there on my boat when it failed and so they don't know how it was being operated...". My mechanic is beyond furious. He has no idea what that means or how I could possibly operate the leg in the dark so as to cause it to fail. It's ridiculous.

I too was taken in to purchase this leg at my mechanics offering because of the price. It is a very hard lesson to learn as i have spent $1,000's more than I should have and lost almost all my summer boating season. My experience with SEI Sterndrive has been shameful. Based on my still ongoing experience I would not recommend you buy their product.
99maxumowner102015

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.