BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
Steve & me sold weakies and BFt by the boat load back in the 60's. My teen age cousin and me back from Vietnam had no clue this would lead to the devestation of world fish stocks.

Back then, human over population was the boogie man. So I got a vasectomy after two lovely babies. What a young sucker I was.

WTF?
Why not recs sell legal fish? The government tells you NO to a perfectly reasonable way to support your family in difficult time.

Just an old cranky vets opinion:fighting:

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Without the proper license this is illegal!!!!:thumbsdown:Totally un ethical!!!!!:thumbsdown:
If your looking for a way to make money fishing go and invest in a com license.:thumbsdown:

FC
Illegal yes but by no means is it unethical. Working on the party boats when I was younger once & a while we would take a cooler or two ofsea bass to axelson's for money to buy new rods.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This fishery has no hope whatsoever!!!!!:(
Everyone feels they need to show "something" from their trip to gain something from their trip. Does anyone who fishes have any personal pride left?:huh: How come people can't fish, catch, smile and pose, then release? They have to keep daily, fill freezers, show friends, "sell catches", promote bait shops, etc.......To spite the issue they insist on posting up here about someone else ruining the fishery. Keep your pictures so you show your kids and grandkids how it was back in the old day:wave:

·
Registered
436 Posts
This fishery has no hope whatsoever!!!!!:(
Everyone feels they need to show "something" from their trip to gain something from their trip. Does anyone who fishes have any personal pride left?:huh: How come people can't fish, catch, smile and pose, then release? They have to keep daily, fill freezers, show friends, "sell catches", promote bait shops, etc.......To spite the issue they insist on posting up here about someone else ruining the fishery. Keep your pictures so you show your kids and grandkids how it was back in the old day:wave:
thats what happens when your rod and reel cost $2k..hard to justify

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Illegal yes but by no means is it unethical. Working on the party boats when I was younger once & a while we would take a cooler or two ofsea bass to axelson's for money to buy new rods.
I disagree 100%!!!!!:mad: As a rec fisherman selling your catch is illegal!!!This makes it unethical.Does one have to agree with the law of the land???No we don't but we as responsible rec fisherman have to follow them!!Do you keep short fish???Do you keep more then your dailt limit???Do you keep out of season???Do you fish for species during closed season???All of these things are unethical,illegal,and wrong in the eye's of the law!!!If we as rec fisherman are to put forth our best foot we must follow these laws even if we don't agree with them.We change them by legal means not by ignoring them.This is what makes us ethical sportsman!!!

FC:mad:

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
I disagree 100%!!!!!:mad: As a rec fisherman selling your catch is illegal!!!This makes it unethical.Does one have to agree with the law of the land???No we don't but we as responsible rec fisherman have to follow them!!Do you keep short fish???Do you keep more then your dailt limit???Do you keep out of season???Do you fish for species during closed season???All of these things are unethical,illegal,and wrong in the eye's of the law!!!If we as rec fisherman are to put forth our best foot we must follow these laws even if we don't agree with them.We change them by legal means not by ignoring them.This is what makes us ethical sportsman!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::fighting::naughty: I agree with fishcrazy 100%

·
Registered
15 Posts
thats what happens when your rod and reel cost $2k..hard to justify
If someone has a rod and reel that cost $2k, maybe they could leave a struggling fishery alone for awhile and buy their dinner from the store; they can obviously afford it. Instead, we now have people willing to, or at least think about, selling their catch to make a few extra bucks.:nuts: I have quit a bit of $ invested into my gear and in no way do i feel the need to stroke my ego by bringing home as many fish as possible; in fact i bring home very, very few; i think 2 in the past 2 years. Not going at you with this post, im just saying.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Oh the piety is hilarious! Some people think it's unethical to even CATCH fish- wanna get them started??

Illegal, just like speeding and prostitution-- you're talkin' about a few LEGALLY caught fish... gimme a break!:nuts:

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Oh the piety is hilarious! Some people think it's unethical to even CATCH fish- wanna get them started??

Illegal, just like speeding and prostitution-- you're talkin' about a few LEGALLY caught fish... gimme a break!:nuts:
Ya think huh???So puttin a face on fisherman that the general public see's as unethical is good for out favorite past time???I know when I'm on the beach at any time of year there are pleanty of people not fishin just walking up and down,So it would be a good thing for them to see me keepin shorts???Or even selling me sell my catch to a passer by??We complain about access,and stupid laws,then turn around and break em too??How about the guy's I see on my favorite jetty keepin everything they catch,do we let them go about that too???
Your argument about keeping a few legal fish to sell fine,but how many fisherman would you propose could do this??How many people are out there fishing??If everyone did it what would happen then??
I'm just saying even if I believe it to be hogwash,It's still not legal so it's unethical.Laws where ment to serve the whole not the individual.If you want to go about breaking them go ahead.But like the guy's I saw on the Jetty don't be suprised when Johnny law comes around and puff your truck and all your gear is gone,and your lookin at a big fine!!!
I guess in your eyes I'm being pious and holier than thou???What by following the rules??If this is so then I guess I am.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
u mean the general public who BUY their fish because they don't even know that there are fish in the waves?? I get it, now, it's unethical towards the Comms- u r taking a little out of their pocket if you so happen to sell some of your legally caught extra fish(rather than giving it away).

But, if you do live by ALL the rules, than I will give you this: :bow:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If they offer you money i see no harm if it is a junk fish.
I had one british guy give me money to give him my skates on a party boat one time.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
u mean the general public who BUY their fish because they don't even know that there are fish in the waves?? I get it, now, it's unethical towards the Comms- u r taking a little out of their pocket if you so happen to sell some of your legally caught extra fish(rather than giving it away).

But, if you do live by ALL the rules, than I will give you this: :bow:
I mean the general public who claim the beach as their own and want us(surf casters) off it.As far as the comms go I could give a rats a$$ bout them or their $$.

I try to abide by the rules I got a 13 year old who learns everything even the stuff you don't want him to learn.It's not easy to abide by rules I find to be wrong but they are the rules,Thanks for the props.There once was an easier time,that time has changed.If we don't roll with it we'll loose the little we have left.I want my boy to enjoy the waves one day as I do if it get's ruined cause guy's break the rules then what?

FC:huh:

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
not to mention the daily bag limit is not nearly enough to support even a few extra bucks to pay for the trip. Get a captains license and charter its the closest thing to fishing for a living.

Thing is most of your time chartering isn 't spent fishing, While chartering can help you finance you fishing addiction. Its not much fun for the captain. who is there to cater to the clients. Now them blues your clients catch and don't want, and the bunker you snagged and kept alive in the well, DO make great night Shark bite bait and thats FUN as H*ll.:D

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.