BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a bizarre turn of events, it looks like the Senate will not meet tomorrow to consider the bass bill. Aparently, the State House has been plagued by recent flooding problems due to the aftermath of the storm. Iam told the garage had two feet of water, electricity is out in parts, some sanitation problems, and Route 29 was closed from overflow of the Delaware River. The Assembly is definately closed, and I believe the Senate is as well. Iam sure the bill will be taken up next Monday, and passed that day. I hope the feds will understand, since it is a limited "State of Emergency".
Assemblyman Bob Smith

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I'm not trying to "Throw Stones" here but if I were on the other side of the fence and was asked for another week because of a flood my response would be "You're 3 months out of compliance and now you want another week? What if you have another flood next week?"

With all due respect Assemblyman, Trenton let us down on this a while ago! If the Feds are not responsive to your request you have no sympathy from the voting fisherman.

[ 09-19-2004, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Bgsdad ]

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Originally posted by Bgsdad:
I'm not trying to "Throw Stones" here but if I were on the other side of the fence and was asked for another week because of a flood my response would be "You're 3 months out of compliance and now you want another week? What if you have another flood next week?"

With all due respect Senator, Trenton let us down on this a while ago! If the Feds are not responsive to your request you have no sympathy from the voting fisherman.
Well said Bruce.

It is really an unacceptable and weak excuse, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Ummm... It's Assemblyman Smith that is speaking here, not Senator Smith.(one need look no further than how he signs his post, try reading it before commenting :rolleyes: ) While I understand your point, at least pay attention to who's talking and direct your comments accordingly, the man has nothing to do with the Senate and passed his Bill in the Assembly months ago.

Thanks Mr. Smith, we appreciate not only the work you have done on this issue (it was nice to finally meet you down in VA at the ASMFC meeting you attended) but it was nice of you to give us the heads up on what is happening on the other side of the isle from where you stand.

Sincerely,
Capt. Tony Bogan

[ 09-19-2004, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: CaptTB ]

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Capt TB, I edited my post. Is that better? See how quick I fixed my mistake! Maybe Trenton should take lessons.

I'll assume that you read my post but I didn't make myself clear. You see I said Trenton let us down. When I said "your" I was refering to Trenton. And so there's no confusion when I say "Trenton" I mean the elected officals there from the Govenor on down not the whole town. Unfornutely Assemblyman Smith is a member of that group.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
With all due respect Assemblyman, Trenton let us down on this a while ago! If the Feds are not responsive to your request you have no sympathy from the voting fisherman.

BGSDAD:

Thats a cheap shot against a fellow fisherman, and one has has spearheaded the Assembly to protect our Striped Bass fishing. Thank your lucky stars next time you go out for a striper, that Bob Smith was fighting for your rights.

Remember, the Feds have more concerns in getting money into Florida for relief before the election, then caring about the New Jersey Striper fishing. :cool:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I agree with you Al but I think Bgsdad is trying to clarify what he meant to say,we've all been guilty of writing before we read.It's an issue that means alot to all of us.Let's stick together.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Bgsdad, no sweat. All's well etc.

Al, let's be correct on all fronts. The simple fact is that once ASMFC said our current regs would not be compliant, the MFC tasked our striped bass committee with coming up with conservation equivalents to submit to the ASMFC Tech Committte (along with the 2 @ 28" of course which was an automatic) At the very next ASMFC meeting, whenour options were approved, Assemblyman Smith went to the meeting himself and told the ASMFC exactly what he could and could not do. (namely push to get the option chosen by the public at our public hearings, which happened within 10 days) and that he could not speak for the senate but was hopeful they would do the same.

Assemblyman Smith then did exactly what he said he would do, and in record time at that. Unfortunately the senate failed to act fast enough, plain and simple. Say what you will about the senate action (or lack thereof) I am not in the mood to rehash that story for the umpteenth time. Nevertheless there was no "lack of action" on the part of Trenton, either in part or in whole, that forced this situation other than the failure of the senate to vote before summer recess.

Prior to that point in time it was not in the hands of the senate or the assembly. I can't even blame the Division because they were constantly working on this issue too. Things worked out as they did, and had we all thought about every possible secenarion under every possible set of circumstances perhaps someone would have thought back in February that a month was not enough time to get things done at the senate. Unfortunately no one did, myself included.

Let's stop wasting time complaining or making snide remarks about trenton what have you to the man who actually did exactly what he was asked to do exactly when he was asked to do it.

Again, thanks Mr. Smith for giving us the heads up on what's happening in Trenton. I'm sure your post was meant to do nothing other than tell people what the situation is.

[ 09-20-2004, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: CaptTB ]

·
Registered
198 Posts
BGs Dad..
Brilliant. Knock the guy while he is attempting to get this thing passed. That'll hurry him up. Make us all look like idiots. remember this is not the only thing on their plates and in the grand scheme of things, more like small potatoes. Be glad they are on top of it such as they are. At least joey2boats clarified your statement for you........

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Assemblyman Bob Smith,

You are a breath of fresh air. Thanks for your efforts.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Thanks for the update! I read a similar thread in the Tackle Box and thought it was an April Fool's joke...then I remembered it is September! Hopefully, they can convene as soon as possible and get this thing done! In the mean time, thanks for your effort!

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Mr Smith, thanks for the update and your efforts on our behalf.

Now guys, as far as the "blame game", I wouldn't scream TOO loud because the reality is, if the striped bass weren't a game fish none of this would have happened! Be careful what you wish for(speeding up the process) you might get it!(revocation of game fish status so Trenton won't have to bother with it)

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
I think if there is a search for the cause of the problem then you need to ask DEP why they did not push for getting back in compliance when it was first brought to their attention that action needed to be taken last December.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.