BASS BARN banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a letter from my senator today

Thank you for contacting me regarding your support for Senator Bill Nelson's (D-FL) Clean Boating Act of 2008 (S. 2766). I appreciate your interest on this important matter.

As you know, the current lack of oversight for ballast water treatment and exchange is a serious problem. Ballast water refers to water that boats - particularly large vessels - take on and release to maintain stability. The practice has negatively impacted numerous aquatic ecosystems by introducing invasive species to non-native aquatic environments when ships release water picked up other locations. Nonnative crabs, clams and zebra mussels, to name a few organisms, monopolize oxygen and food sources in their new environments, seriously disrupting ecosystems.

S. 2766 responds to new permitting rules for ballast water announced by the Environmental Protection Agency in July 2007. The Agency was compelled to devise a plan for regulating ballast water from boats after a U.S. District Court ruled in favor of environmental groups and several states' Attorneys General in the fall of 2006. The plaintiffs argued that ballast as a pollutant because it introduces harmful invasive organisms into U.S. waters. The Court directed the Agency to develop a new permitting plan for the nation's boats before September 2008. Recreational boaters - of which there are some 70 million nationwide - oppose the new permitting rules, arguing that the Court intended only to regulate effluent from large ocean-going vessels, not recreational boats.

As you know, Senator Nelson introduced S. 2766 to exempt recreational boating and sport fishing from having to apply for the new permits. I support S. 2766 and will work to ensure that we address the serious environmental concerns about ballast water, without placing undue burdens on recreational boaters. The bill is currently pending in the Environment and Public Works committee, of which I am a member. I look forward to its consideration by the full committee.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to write me in the future about other matters of importance to you.

With best personal regards, I am

Sincerely,

Tom Carper
United States Senator

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
I also got my response today for Tom Carper, glad he supports this.:)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Me Too..

Got mine too!!!! Good to hear he's in favor of it!! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts