BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and Gals,
I just had to throw this out there , it seems to me that the closure of the Horseshoe Crab harvesting on this side of Delaware Bay is a joke , especially for the reasons the State has put forth , the Red Knots need to eat their eggs and low numbers of Horseshoe Crabs in general ,I live in the Sunray Beach section of Del Haven in one of the closed Beach areas, If the State and all of their birding friends were so concerned about increasing the Horseshoe Crab Stock then they should be trying to form some volunteer groups comprised of the commercials who want to use the crabs as bait and the birders who like to watch the Red Knots , their duties would be to comb the closed beaches every morning especially after a night of rough bay surf and pick up every Crab that has been left high and dry and overturned left to be baked by the Sun and picked apart alive by the big Gulls , I know I shouldn`t but I still enter the beach and you know what I dont see any Red Knots just a Horseshoe Crab grave yard with disabled crabs baking away, it is nothing to walk a 100 yards and return 150 weak crabs back to the waters edge, at least when people can enter the beach for a walk anyone who values all life usally return the disabled crabs to the water.
I cant wait until they re-open the beaches, it usally stinks so bad from all the dead crabs that you dont even want to stroll along the beach through the graveyard. Its just my opinion , I just think the State should come up with a better plan especially since the guys on the other side of the bay still get to harvest the crabs and here we just let them die while the State cries about no harvesting and increasing the stocks, what a joke !!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Posted by Freedom Under Dry Dock Topic

fish bandit so many want something done,but are not realy wanting to do any work!

you can belive the crabers aren't worried about hard work and wouldn't mind helping out just try and get the other knuckle heads to do something,

one thing we shouldn't do is point the finger, meaning if we complain about the other side/De they may and up closeing it for them too.

we need to stick together and not allow stupid plans that do little get passed into law

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Freedom,
I have been away from home for the last 3 days between my Firefighter job(fulltime) and my EMT job (partime) both 24 hr shifts up at Fort Dix, I dont get home much. I can only imagine what that beach looks like now after this hard blow , kind of senseless to let these crabs die for nothing especially when some of them could be allotted to the commercials for bait instead of them rotting on the beach, after they open the beach it is nothing to see hundreds of them dead in a 100 yard stretch and that is just one small section, it makes you sick !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fish Bandit

i agree with you also...it is so sad to see those horseshoe crabs lay there and die...and such a slow painfull death also...i wish i lived near the beach more so i could go everyday and put them back in the water. hopefully someone near the beach areas will have a heart and put them back in each day. i know it would take time out of someones life but at least the horseshoe crabs would be able to live..let's hope this year is the year someone will make an effort to save them...good point you brought up..thank you

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
They should allow commercial guys to go around and pick em up!! Sure beats them laying around and rotting!!IMO

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Maybe it's the Red Knots that are lowering the horseshoe crab population.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Lets see...Horseshoes are used to bait eels....eels eat crab eggs...birds eat crab eggs...If we don't get rid of some eels and birds we will not have crab eggs.

Now if we can find something to eat the crab lovers, we all can live together.

I like the fish that eat eels..........

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe they use them for conch and eels,
I`ll be home tommorrow and I`m sure when I take a peek at the beach it will be littered with hundreds of dead crabs , I agree, the commercials should be able to pick up the dead ones , instead the big gulls just rip them apart even before they are dead. its sad!!

Pop Pop, where did you pop in from

[ 05-25-2006, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: Fish Bandit ]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well, I continue to see major f ups in the fed and state programs and just plain get tired of a couple of so called do gooders controlling the system.
The fact of good things going to waste, because some "educated moron" having their own theory and them push it on the majority, upsets me. You don't see this kind of news on the major TV stations and in the newpaper.
Maybe if it was covered, then the peta groups would stop their pushing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I Hear ya Pop Pop, once they put some restrictions in place they sit at a desk and dont bother getting out to see whats really going on.
Like I said its great to protect them but when they are already dead by the thousands there is no logical reason not to let the commericial guys use them as bait.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
HSC's have been lying dead on the Del Beaches this time of year since the last major ice age. I don't think it's a waste. Just because something is dead doesn't mean it's not useful to the ecosystem. Look at Salmon. The adults die so the next generation can feed on the nutrients, along with a lot of other wildlife. Same is true with HSC's.

Fine, now berate me with your commie talk. ;) Whatever...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts