BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
I think everyone on there made there own video, seen this one a lot... I don't need any drinks for a bit after that... So flat day, cruise at 60 and deep in canyon country in 2 hours... Uh huh!

One observation- if I was on a boat just leisurely doing say 70-80 mph: I would have a **** eatin grin the size of Texas on my face... Them, they didn't have that I'm enjoying this look in them, lol, what's up wit that?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm a motor head, thus the more HP the better! However I don't see the practical application for these motors in a sport fishing application. These outboards were designed for center console racing applications. Much like Mercury Racing 1100sci and 1300sci racing engines. Although the Merc racing engines are cool in a 46 Cigarette I would rather have my more reliable and fuel efficient 8.1L big blocks in my Hatteras although the Merc racing engines are built from the same Chevy blocks as my Crusaders. There might be one or two days a season when you could run a boat at high speed however you would be burning upwards of 80gph. The Sevens outboards are more fuel efficient at a high cruise speed(say 60knt.) because two Sevens outboards for a combined 1,114 HP by firing on 16 cylinders from two 6.0L Chevy engines. A similar hull would require three 8 cylinder outboards to produce the same HP thus increasing fuel consumption. However the same hull could be powered by two v8 350HP outboards- lowering the cruise speed and fuel consumption to more reasonable levels.

The conclusion is simple, if you got a lot of money and want to go really fast up and down the beach showing off(which I've done many a time) then the Sevens are for you. If you go to the Canyon and want a reasonable 30knt. cruise speed then I would stick to conventional power plants. But if we are talking about go fast boats then I say get the biggest engines available!!! Anyway, people don't realize how fast 80mph is until they are driving the boat. Going fast is cool but can also be very dangerous and is not something that should be done offshore. 80mph into a wave the wrong way could rip the hull apart or cause injury to the crew.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts