BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite livebait for stripers here in S. Del. is spot but now that they have seemed to have left our waters and are no longer obtainable at the bait shops I was wondering about livelining some of the shad that have been abundant in I.R.I. There have been large schools of them in the inlet, usually on an incoming tide, and are a blast to catch on lite tackle. I know a lot of you N.J. guys liveline herring and bunker and just wondered why a 12" shad wouldn't be just as good. Give me a little feedback. Thanks

·
Registered
381 Posts
From my experience there is no reason livelining a shad wouldn't work. A buddy of mine from Long Island has had many a banner day with shad when in absence of bunker. Best bet is to find them in a school, but if you can't find one, you can pick them from under docks, near pilins, adn rocks. Catch 'em on GOOD STRONG Sabikis (the ones with TIED hooks NOT repeat NOT the glued ones) or makerel rigs with a diamond jig on the bottom. The fish that eat them aare usually bigger than average, just as in livelining bunker. Give em a try. My guess is it will probably pay off. Just find the right water, tide, etc. Good luck!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
no 1 does it so u can't say yes or no or the people that do do it keep it to themselves. bass eat almost anything so most likely they are feeding on them. give it a try can't hurt anything

·
Registered
69 Posts
The shad work as liveline baits. The fish are of course bigger but as said above, if it is 12 inches and it swims they will attept to eat it. Give it a try in the inlets and around the bridges.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Those shad work, probably better than most would think. I've seen slot fish take 14 inch shad livelined at night, if big fish are around I'm sure they wouldn't pass it up.
A few of the local guys fish for shad at night under lights to chunk in the Del. Bay with very good results (and a little more money in their pockets).
There are plenty around now, they are fun on light tackle and make great bait livelined, chunked or even stripped on a bucktail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.