BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone fish for the shad in the river? I've seen a lot of people jigging for herring at the illvill bridge but never heard of anyone targetting shad.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Tried it before at the dam, but they wouldn't even look at my fly. I put it right on their noses, too. They were big, looked like American shad at over 24", but I've heard from the state that only Hickory shad go up the Maurice. I don't know what they were as I didn't catch any. Either way, they would have been fun to play with.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
They are not american shad.
They are big Mud shad or hickory shad. What they are called depends on who you talk to.

When Indepth and I ran the haul seine a couple of weeks ago, we had only a couple of shad and ALOT of alewife.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Alrighty then. Thanks for the confirmation! :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
F T R, in the late 80's we use to cast for herring quite a bit in the park and would get a few shad. I don't know what kind they were they were, about 20" -22" long. One day a friend of mine got 3 in about 2 hours.
Good luck, Geo.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Biggest,American shad.There are both species in Maurice.Hickory shad are sometimes called muds or suckers and not normaly eaten.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Biggest,American shad.There are both species in Maurice.Hickory shad are sometimes called muds or suckers and not normaly eaten.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Capt.Alc,

Just to clarify, It is not impossible for American Shad to come up the Maurice river, but it is rare. I would love to know the last time (Confirmed) that someone caught an american shad in the maurice. Particularly near Main Street bridge or Union Lake Dam.

·
Registered
426 Posts
MVille,don't know last confirmed catch.Might be a bit too early.I know they have been caught at rt 49 bridge and witnessed 2 caught in Menantico river behind the sandwashes in 01.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thinks it is illegal to keep Hickory shad. I'm not sure if I could distinguish between them and American Shad.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
FlyTyR, I'm about halfway finished building my 6 weight. Maybe one day SOON we can get together and fish the Maurice and try to get some of them thar shad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts