BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the specifics in tying shad rigs? Last year, I saw guys using 2 shad darts in a dropper-loop type setup. Would a dart - spoon combo work as well? What wt fluoro is enough? Are in-line weights used as well? Can snaps be used with darts and spoons, or do you tie the line directly to the lure?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I use very small snaps on the rigs I use for shad. We use 17lb vanish with 1/16 to 1/4 shad darts and a silver or gold spoon

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I fish for them in the Deleware River from an achored boat. I use 6lb Trilene tied to an inline sinker with about 24" of 12 to 17lb test going from the inline sinker directly to a flutter spoon. I use the heavier line from the inline sinker to the spoon so that the sinker can be real close to the bottom and the pressure from the current on the heavier line will actually lift my spoon up higher than the sinker...just off the bottom. The debris in the river collects on the inline sinker instead of my spoon, allowing me to keep my line in the water longer. I watch the angle of the line and the bend of the rod to know when to pull up and clear the leaves etc. off. The less hardware on your line, snaps, swivels, etc., to catch debris, the better off you are. Downriggers are good for shad fishing this way. The downrigger collects all the junk and keeps your spoon or jig in the strike zone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts