BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am out of the water, should I be knocking off old shaft zincs. I noticed a small ding in my prop and dont really remember hitting anything but think it may have been a degraded zinc that flew off while I was running late in the season.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Dude you're going to want to replace them every year. I hope you're taking the OLD ones off and replacing them with new.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course. Im talking about when putting on the new ones also taking the old ones off and not just letting them waste away

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Every time I haul my boat I replace all the zincs below the water, off with the old and install the new ones. Never leave the old ones on

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Woah yeah man never leave the old ones on. They can cause balance issues and like you said, crack off and end up in the wheel.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I was reading about cutlass bearings the other day, and it was suggested to put the shaft zinc at least 12 inches or more away from the bearing. Anything closer may prohibit the correct amount of water flow needed to lubricate the bearings.

And yes, zincs get replaced every year on my boat

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Chummy, I think that unless huge chunks of zinc are flying off your shafts it shouldn't cause dings in your wheels. Zinc is very soft and small pieces should not just fly off causing damage. Those small pits in zinc are eaten away corrosion.

As for prop dings - could be anything. I wish I had a nickle for every ding or nick in mine that came from the unknown or maybe say every Nickle that Ray @ Altantis prop has of mine....

·
Registered
684 Posts
I was reading about cutlass bearings the other day, and it was suggested to put the shaft zinc at least 12 inches or more away from the bearing. Anything closer may prohibit the correct amount of water flow needed to lubricate the bearings.

And yes, zincs get replaced every year on my boat
Always wondered where to put the zinks, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Mine were getting eaten away pretty quick so I started putting 2 on each shaft.Seemed to help.
Ut oh.

Had this issue too. Problem could be a few things.
1) Short in the boat / make sure all your grounds are connected and clean. Especially if you have them going from your steering gear to the hull. Those grounds will move and snap. At least on my ride I had that.
2) Shore power post not grounded properly
3) Boat near you with an issue.
4) Steel hull boat near you.

Putting more zinc then the manufacture installed is not a good idea. I really researched this .

In one marina it was my shore power post being not properly grounded.
Another year it was a steel hulled boat that was putting electricity in the water.

Once you find the issue correct it properly - not by over zinc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts