BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my drip-less shaft seals and will be working on installing them, Looking at my shaft couplings I can see I am in for a knuckle bleeding experience. The starboard coupling is rusted to the point that the bolts holding the shaft in place are badly deteriorated, the port coupling must have allen screws in it. So my thinking is to just cut the shafts, unbolt the couplings from trans, remove props and then replace the shafts and couplings with new.

Called around and went on line and have found varying degrees of prices. my shafts are 1 1/8" and around 44 1/8" long single taper.
I have a source for OEM Penn Yan parts in NY, he quoted me $610.00 each for new shafts and couplings fitted and faced. Called Tuckerton Propeller and got a quote from him for roughly the same price.

Went online and got quotes from General propeller in Bradenton FL for around $450 each, and I got another on line quote from Deep Blue Yacht in Davie FL for $431. plus an additional 5% discount.... There will be shipping charges on top of this but even so the online guys are way cheaper.

I know the guy at Tuckerton will only supply A22 shafts, not sure what the guy in NY is giving me but I assume A22, and the two online quotes are for A19 shafts.... (A22/19 are the quality fo the shafts). but even up grading to A22 the prices will only go up roughly $60.00 per shaft.
I have no idea what the shafts are that are in the boat, but they are original from the 80's so there ya go.

Anyone have any input on what they see here? I am going this weekend to try and pull the shafts out to get exact measurements before placing the order. I am leaning ordering from Deep Blue just on price alone.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Emailed Atlantis and South jersey Marine for estimates, will post once I get them. Heading down this weekend to attempt removal. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Judd, that's the kind of work you need done locally. Shipped in shafts if not right have to be shipped out...more waiting. You know what I'm saying.

After saying this it sounds to me like you've got galvanic bonding problems with the boat.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No thats not the issue, The couplings shaft seals and hoses are at are 38years old, and never serviced, The starboard packing set nuts head is broken off, and that coupling is pretty rusted due to the packing leaking more allow sea water to get on the coupling.

The port one is not as rusted, but the Allen screws on that one are stripped out and rusted a bit too. Neither were ever painted. When the engines were replaced in 2000, they only had to unbolt the couplings from the trans.

I can buy the parts my self and have a shop fit and face everything, or go thru the shop and pay more for the parts. Example, i can buy a coupling anywhere on line and pay between $70 to $90 each, but getting them from a shop local will run me around $130.00, Same goes for the shafts.

After contemplating the costs, i am going to attempt to split the couplings off by cutting at the key way then cutting 180 degrees opposite and saving the shafts. I believe they are good and can be reused. After disassembling the old packing the shafts have no wear. Plus due to the size of the new packing (shorter), the new packing will actually ride on virgin shaft.

We got the rudders dropped and broke everything loose, this weekend we will try cutting off the couplings. I only had 1 cutting wheel on my grinder, and its a thicker 1/4" thick wheel that is not conducive to cutting, need a thinner cutting disc to slice. Will pick up some decent discs to use, will shoot some video of the whole procedure if possible. My plan is to cut thru the coupling at the key way first, then rotate and cut again but not go all the way thru, leave approx 1/8 or less material and see if I can either pry and get it to just snap, or use plunge saw at that point to go at the rest. Its going to take a hell of a lot longer doing this, but saving approx 600.00 in shafts is appealing to me.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I just replaced my 1. 1/8 shaft Doubled tappered.
Overall length is I believe 78 inches.
It has a chip in the threads on the prop end. Should have plenty of length to cut off both ends and re-
thread. It is a22 material.
Let me know if intetested.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
IMG_0017.jpg Was able to break the couplings loose and using an angle grinder, split the couplings off the shaft. Took like 3 hours and 6 4 1/2" cutting wheels. Pulled shafts with props attached, going to now calla round and get prices for couplings, having them fit and faced, having shafts polished and props tuned. Will just buy the couplings from what ever prop shop I use. Going to call Tuckerton and Atlantis today for prices.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Emailed Atlantis but have not heard back from them on a price to fit and face and polish everything. I ordered couplings and a pair of strut bearings, I might as well do the strut bearings while I got everything apart, then I can cross that off my list of things to get a round to on the never ending list of boat projects. As soon as I get the couplings in hand I will get costs from both Atlantis and Tuckerton Props on the work. Will post what I find out.

·
Registered
12,280 Posts
Emailed Atlantis but have not heard back from them on a price to fit and face and polish everything. I ordered couplings and a pair of strut bearings, I might as well do the strut bearings while I got everything apart, then I can cross that off my list of things to get a round to on the never ending list of boat projects. As soon as I get the couplings in hand I will get costs from both Atlantis and Tuckerton Props on the work. Will post what I find out.
I have had many inboard boats gas and diesel and have used Tuckerton and Atlantis. I wasn’t a true believer in prop scan at first and watched the old timers anvil the props back in tune but after quite a few different props I prefer Ray at Atlantis’s work and all of my charter boat friends have been using him for 10 or more years with no complaints. Ray can also work with you on getting the most performance and economy. On the coupler any machine shop can face that coupler for you, I would pull the transmission side also and face match them. When you are done with all of that check your engine to shaft alinement with a feeler gauge. If you do all of that you will be amazed how smooth your boat will run.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided on Tuckerton prop as Atlantis would not respond to emails... So dropped everything off today. Probably be about 2 weeks till I get everything back. Waiting on my starters and 1 Alt, took them to be rebuilt. They should be back this week some time. Going to work on painting the bottom and updating some electrical stuff while we wait on running gear.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Where did you take the starters and Alternator? I take my to a rebuilder who has been in the business for over 50 years. VERY REASONABLE and the price is right. The guy is very good. I have seen work on his bench from auto generators from the 1920's, to Rolls Royce generators and starters, to every car ,truck, fork lifts, farm equipment,etc.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I also know a guy that does all starter Alternator if needed in the Riverside area Great guy.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used Jebco in Riverton/Riverside NJ for my Alt and starters. He is a great guy and actually when I dropped off my starboard Starter, he discovered that it actually was not a marine starter. Had him rebuild it to marine standards, took the other one to him to check it out also. So we will have all rebuilt starters and alternators,

My Starboard Starter was acting up, so decided to have it looked at. Jebco did my port Alt last season, so I decided to have him do the starboard Alt and Starter this spring. Once he discovered the starter I took to him was non marine, I brought him the port one for good measure. Better safe then sorry.

The guy at Jebco Rebuilders is fast, reasonable and thorough. I highly recommend him.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
LOL that's the same guy i a talking about my solenoid went bad on my starter off my 2006 Suzuki 140 everyone said around 400.00 have to get a whole new starter called him in the morning had a new solenoid in the next afternoon 72.00 walk out the door and worked great :thumbsup:

Reactions: Prime Time I I

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picked up my parts from Jebco, $129.00 for alt rebuild and $149.00 each on the starters. Now both are marine spec and safe. Still waiting on gear from Tuckerton Prop. Hopefully in another week or so

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shafts, props and couplings should be ready this week, once I get it I will post costs and we can start assembly!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got a call from TP, not going to be ready this week. Hoping to have them for next week.....This was week 3 now into week 4 waiting......

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So while waiting for the running gear we were able to install the new cutlass bearings. Installed XPC beaings, very easy to install, hopefully going to pick up running gear this week... fingers crossed.

IMG_0076.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got a call from George at Tuckerton Prop, everything is ready going to pick everything up Thursday. Bill is a couple pennies under $500 for both prop tune, shaft polish and couplings fit and faced.
Looks like its going to be a busy weekend coming up!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts