BASS BARN banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Boat has been moved to its new location for the engine pull, but a death in the family has pushed off work for now, will be working on this in Sept.

·
Registered
13,219 Posts
At least the weather should be cooler when you have to pull the motor :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Still dealing with family issues, My step father passed suddenly in his sleep on Aug 25th. Its been a rough couple weeks, and just starting to get back on routine life. Mom is doing good, but does not deal well with the tasks required in settling estates and what not. But we are chugging along. Boat has been put off, but might get down this up coming weekend to start disconnect of the engines....

·
Registered
13,219 Posts
Just went through the same thing my Father passed in the end of June and my Mother is having problems then my MIL passed last week and my FIL has medical conditions guess it's that time in life we all go through :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Was finally able to get to the boat this past weekend and work on disconnecting the engines and preparing to have them pulled. We got both motors disconnected, with the exception of one finicky engine mount bolt that stripped that we will use a grinder to remove the head. Will attempt to have them lifted out this weekend, finger crossed.

Reactions: wired98

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Engines are out, took a little over an hour to get them out of the boat and onto the trailer for transport. They are in my garage now, I will begin tearing down the stuck motor this weekend. Will take pics and let you know what I find.
. IMG_0285.jpg IMG_0288.jpg

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Started tearing down engine, so far found 4 stuck valves, all exhaust valves, was able to loosen 3 of the 4, last one is stuck good, going to pull the head to check cylinder walls. Started removing stuff from the bilge too, removed the water tank and some electrical wiring. Next week we will drain fuel tanks and try and remove them. The bilge is an oily sludgy mess, but will be using a combination of bilge cleaner, brushed and power washer to get it ready for a coat of bilge paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,219 Posts
LOL got your hands full at least you have a good place to work on them .

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Well, got the heads off and found lots of rust, obviously we had water intrustion on the top end, will be pulling pan later this week to inspect bottom end. Will be sending it to Medford Speed shop to have them check out the block crank and cam and give me a determination on rebuilding or just scraping and buying a new long block.
head.jpg

left bank.jpg

right bank.jpg

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Fresh water cooled and the manifolds and risers were replaced the beginning of last season......

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Pulled the pan and the bottom half is still in great condition, pulled a main cap and a rod cap, bearing showed a little wear but nothing not expected for a 18 yr old engine. Going to drop off to the machine shop next week.

I was also looking at reman and new engines on line, decided to call Promar Engines in Paterson, NJ after looking at some of their engines on line. The descriptions on line are very vague and wanted more info. They had what I thought was a correct engine, but wanted to get a price on a 4 bolt main and reverse rotation. the guy on the phone wasnt sure so put me on hold to talk with the tech guy. Got back on the phone and the guy told me the tech guy said its not a reverse rotation, it spins normal and the change occurs in the connection gearing.... Told the guy no, its a reverse rotation engine. Guy on the ohone was obviously just a sales guy, so I ask to speak tot he tech guy. I get on with him and he tries to tell me the same thing, I explain its not an inboard out board its an inboard, and the engine spins opposite, he asks me the firing order, which I said its not 1, 8 yada, yada, yada, but I dont know what the counter rotating engine firing order is off the top of my head but i think its like 1,2,7.... I said the engine definitely spins reverse because its the starboard inboard engine, he again tries to tell me the rotation is done in the drive.... but we can custom build you what ever you need, or we can take your block and use that since its already set up the way you need.....said it should only cost a couple hundred dollars more due to reverse rotation.... Told him ok let me get back to you. I did not get that warm fuzzy feeling about this operation.
I am however comfortable with Medford speed, when was talking with him, he knew all the pertinent info on marine engines. I may call Fonse just to chat him up. I'm going to drop the block off next week, and then start tearing down the other engine. That one is fine, but I figure it makes sense to go ahead and rebuild them both now.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Starboard engine update: Heads, intake and block are at the shop, the heads are toast, too much pitting from rust, shame. Block is most likely going to be bored out .30 over or less if possible, Will be putting on after market vortec heads. was contemplating swapping out CI intake for an aluminum marine grade one, but will most likely just reuse the CI intake as there's nothing wrong with it, and a new one runs around $500... Crank and Cam should be fine, just a polish and good to go. Going to end out the trans for reseal and spin test and repaint.

Will be moving onto the port engine soon, that one runs great so we may just freshen up with new paint, pull heads and replace all the gaskets.

Started a wish list of electrical components for the engine room remodel, once the temps are up around in the 60's again (for painting /epoxy purposes) we can tackle the engine room refit and rewire.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
One of the first wrench jobs I did was at Tuckerton Marina on a Penn Yan similar to yours, I pulled the shaft and rudders to send to Elmer at Tuckerton Propeller, really wasn't called that then. I remember dropping some tools into the bottom that I couldn't retrieve and I was much smaller then, I think I was 15yo. If you find a couple of sockets and wrenches can I have them back? Good luck with your project!!!

I just looked yours is a '80 this was on an older boat because it was before 1980.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
The boat I had prior to this one was a 74 Penn Yan Avenger 23' flybridge. Loved that boat, it was just too small for the family. And when we yanked the engines in this boat I did find a couple small wrenches I had lost, as well as a crusty screwdriver, and 1/4 ratchet extender that had been down there since before my time. LOL
Tuckerton Props did the shaft and props on this boat, I had him work on them when I was doing the couplings.
I miss the simplicity of that older boat... one engine, one trans... didnt know how easy I had it back then....

·
Registered
13,219 Posts
To funny usually if you find tools in the bottom it means someone lost some skin off their knuckles !!!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
This is true, we have twin tunnels so there are these narrow spaces on each side of each tunnels that loves to swallow up tools and what not.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The block has been cleaned and machined, they went .20 over, crank and cam were fine, they are starting to put it back together now. Once I get it back and and reassembled, I may opt to have the other engine done as well, depending upon costs.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts