BASS BARN banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Life has been drag the last couple months. literally every weekend its not been raining or crappy weather we had schedule issues, parties, and what not going on.
The rebuilt engine is still sitting on the engine stand, I did actually start working on it the last few days, got the heat exchanger stripped and cleaned and ready for paint, and installed the altenator. Also been down to the boat emptying the gas tanks, hoping to get them removed this weekend to send them out to be pressure tested, then its pressure washing thee bilge and prepping for bilge paint.

The other engine is still sitting in the garage, and I am probably going to take it apart (sson) to drop off to the machine shop for them to freshen up. Slowly been rebuilding the boat funds, so hoping the last part of summer and fall will see some progress.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Boy i here you about life issues popping up and the weather Pfffftttttt no help there i started off good fizzled out due to things mentioned BUT i did put it in last week. Problem still haven't had a chance to fish on her .

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
UPDATE

Got the fuel tanks cleaned and pressure tested by Finger Radiator in Brunswick ,NJ. Cleaned and scrubbed the bilge, and reinstalled the tanks. decided not to paint bilge, just too much work with the tunnels, and once we cleaned the bilge it looked pretty decent as is.

Rebuilt starboard engine just waiting for the trans to be bolted up and will be ready, port engine we opted not to rebuild, gave it a good cleaning, in the process of replacing oil pan and intake gaskets. Picked up new manifolds and risers and y pipes. Engines should be ready to be hoisted back into the boat in a week or so, then will need to run all new hoses, hook up all the electrical. chugging along at this project, and hopefully seeing a little light at the end of a loonnngggg tunnel!

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Both engines installed, going to be installing new manifolds and risers and running electrical and plumbing this week. Rebuilding the carbs and changing out old 3" exhaust for 4" and installing new battery switch and ACR as well. Still alot of stuff to do but we are climbing those steps one step at a time!
Was going to video a lot of this process, but honestly, just not enough hands to do what needs to be done and video at same time.... IMG_0412.jpg

Reactions: wired98

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Labor of love goin on here!!! Have you ever been to Penn Yan, NY on the Finger Lakes? You immediately understand why they built these boats, it wasn't for Great Bay but they work well here too.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I've never been Penn Yan, NY but yea this is a labor of love and absolutely love having a 30' boat with a 22" draft!

Carbs installed, engines aligned and shaft couplings all bolted up. I forgot how much fun aligning the motors and shafts is.... :( ...NOT! its not a hard job, but you have to wiggle your body into a space that's not made for you to be there so you can use the feeler gauge.

Will be installing manifolds and hooking up motor electronics tomorrow. Hoping to have hoses all run by the weekend so we can test fire the motors.

Reactions: TimC2520

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Finally picked up the 4" exhaust hose. Needed enough for both engines, so I ordered 25' from ASAP Hydraulics in Exton Pa. The cost was $21 LF. +tax. Way cheaper then getting it from the usual suppliers as none of them had the qty I needed in stock. The hose we got is wire reinforced but flexible so it came in a 25' roll. The trident and sheilds hose only come in a 12.5 ' length, and then they want extra for shipping due to length.... Was able to get this in a roll so no additional shipping. Also had to pick up 1" and 1 1/4" cooling hoses too, but got them from Stan at South jersey marine supply as he let me take the entire 50' roll, use what I need and only pay for what i use. Good deal!

Will be installing all hoses and test firing the engines this weekend fingers crossed!

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
IMG_0473.jpg

Both engines are completely installed except for fuel lines from tanks to fuel manifold. We ran out of time on Sunday as we had a ground fault we had to track down. But we got both engines cranking and checked for spark so they are ready to fire. Going Tuesday to work on fuel system and hopefully test run them. Need to go thru some other things but we are getting close!

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

One down, one to go!

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Got the other one running but cant run it long as the water hose collapses and cut water flow....
Will have to tune that one in the water, which we plan to launch this Saturday.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Got the carbs dialed in, I think! Engines seems to be running decent. Funny how you would just assume the carb adjustments would be identical from engine to engine, but nothing could be further from the truth. The new motor prefers a leaner setting then the older engine. But I have them pulling 19" vacuum and they seem to idle and run well.

Reactions: wired98

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
I'll be keeping an eye out for you on the water, nice job getting that girl in shape!!! Tunnels push one hell of a lot of water out the back but it's the perfect boat for Great Bay and beyond!!

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Tunnels push one hell of a lot of water out the back
Yes they do, sometimes I get yelled at by homeowners on Tuckerton Creek while motoring up or down the creek, because at like 1000 RPM there is a definite large boil of water at the stern, even though I am only going like 5 - 5.5 knots in the creek. The other day I was puttering up the creek and had to do over 5 knots to keep from getting blown all over the place and a homeowner was giving me the stink eye and yelled "NO WAKE".... but if I just idle at 650RPM with a decent wind I get blown off course easily, and it was plenty windy last Friday. I looked back and the wake off the boat was so minimal, the two jet ski's that motored past me threw a bigger wake then I was.... I can never win. LOL

81 - 99 of 99 Posts