BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could not stand it any more so we decide to try for stripers yesterday.
Ran out of Cape May so knew it was going to be a long day. Decide to gamble & try for "BLUES" farther out. We are catch and release anyway. But was hoping for a tug.
There was no life outside at all. Heard from a buddy, the bunker boats cleaned out the bank on Tuesday.
Came back in as it was getting snotty. Started at the Sea Isle lumps, up through the Kumo lumps. Did mark a fair amount of bait, but no bass at the Kumo. Continued up to AC. Did see any fish marks all day. Just some bait.
Made the last swing our to the table & headed south the whole way back to CM.
No life, no birds, nothing.
So much for my hopes that the 2 weeks of N/ NE might have pushed something South.
Might wait a couple week before next trip.

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
A+ for effort. I haven’t trolled out front in a few years, maybe 5? I still have all my trolling gear, 9ers etc. but it just the same thing every year. I dunno. Nothing to hold the bait inside.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I feel fortunate to run out of barnegat. We have plenty of fish well to our North still, and are smack dab in the middle of some epic snag and drop and top water on 30+ lb fish anyday the weather is good and they dont have lockjaw. Days where that isnt possible, the trolling almost always works very well. I feel for you guys down South, but remember the hay days of old when the rips and the bay were striper central. Just seems like habitat has been destroyed and there isnt enough inshore structure or something. Screw beach replenishment.

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
The only bait we found was at kumo Lumps. There was some nice size marks, but not many. Buddy fished Tuesday & had same marks at the Kumo, but also no fish.
Outside there was NOTHING. Ocean was empty.
Cuma lumps about the only structure around. I’ve caught bass there years ago on the troll. It’s just inside 3 mile line.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feel fortunate to run out of barnegat. We have plenty of fish well to our North still, and are smack dab in the middle of some epic snag and drop and top water on 30+ lb fish anyday the weather is good and they dont have lockjaw. Days where that isnt possible, the trolling almost always works very well. I feel for you guys down South, but remember the hay days of old when the rips and the bay were striper central. Just seems like habitat has been destroyed and there isnt enough inshore structure or something. Screw beach replenishment.
Seagull,
without asking for exact spots, how far are you running north?
WE have ran up to Seaside Part & Heights, but the weather needs to be nice as it is an 80 mile run.
Even when they get down to LBI, that's 50-60 miles. We will do that run. AS past years has been really good fishing off LBI.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Seagull,
without asking for exact spots, how far are you running north?
WE have ran up to Seaside Part & Heights, but the weather needs to be nice as it is an 80 mile run.
Even when they get down to LBI, that's 50-60 miles. We will do that run. AS past years has been really good fishing off LBI.
I'm under the assumption that you are running from cold springs or hereford... correct?

I'm as die hard as the next guy, but I'm not sure I'd ever make that kind of run for anything besides pelagics. I get it, gotta go to where the fish are... do the rips not produce anything these days?

Even at the tail end of the rips bite, we could still run to the maul or the elbow and scratch out a good bite on cows. Seems like the guys I still talk to down that way are able to setup on Blake's channel with some decent results.

To answer your question...
I had 35+ lb fish on snag and drop and top water within the past 48 hours, literally 1 mile north of our inlet.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm under the assumption that you are running from cold springs or hereford... correct?

I'm as die hard as the next guy, but I'm not sure I'd ever make that kind of run for anything besides pelagics. I get it, gotta go to where the fish are... do the rips not produce anything these days?

Even at the tail end of the rips bite, we could still run to the maul or the elbow and scratch out a good bite on cows. Seems like the guys I still talk to down that way are able to setup on Blake's channel with some decent results.

To answer your question...
I had 35+ lb fish on snag and drop and top water within the past 48 hours, literally 1 mile north of our inlet.
Running out of Cape May.
We like the snag & drop plus, trolling mojos. December we will be running 60 miles for the giant sea bass out at the rock pile.
Depending on which boat we run, we can make it there in less than 2 hours. Running is not an issue as long as the end game is there.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Running out of Cape May.
We like the snag & drop plus, trolling mojos. December we will be running 60 miles for the giant sea bass out at the rock pile.
Depending on which boat we run, we can make it there in less than 2 hours. Running is not an issue as long as the end game is there.
Thanks for the heads up.
Roger. If you want to chat before a long distance run, here is my email... [email protected]

I'm switching gears from the bass bite to the tog and ghost bite now. Happy to share relevant info. Have a good one.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I trailered north twice past few weeks- first trip ended up off Sandy hook - insane day, fish all day 2 over 40 with one pushing 45 on the boga grip. Second trip late start came out shark river found real nice bunker off the end of the pier right there had a steady pick of fish untill about 2pm then it shut off. Burned 4 gallons all day fished as far south as sea girt gun range. Also grabbed another fish that pulled boga right to 40.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts