BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the more i thought about it the more anoyed i got..

let me start with a question for you all; if you pay to go out on a fishing boat (small charter-6 people), and you do not really know all the guys other than through a mutual friend, should you share the fish you caught? is it some old practice that i am not aware of...I think it would not of been so bad if some of the other fishermen knew what they were doing. i watched the one fella try to burry the hook in a fish that was taking line while the reel was in free-spool.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i hit the wrong button i'm not done.

...AFTER THE CAPTIN AND MATE JUST EXPLAINED HOW THE F-ING THING WORKED. maybe i'm worked up over nothing or am typing this just to vent but why should i give a fella some of the target species-STIPER- when he continues to miss fish.

all in all i did have fun. caught a buzz after about 14 buds. learned a few new jokes. and took home some fish..

·
Registered
772 Posts
I can see that it is annoying when others don't know what they are doing, but I think the right thing to do is share the fish. Everyone on these boards was a newby at one time, and I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt.

I can remember when I was first taught how to use a conventional reel, and no matter how hard I tried to follow the directions I still screwed it up for the first couple trips. My granddad would just shake his head and mutter under his breath, but after a time I finally learned that I didn't need to panick when a fish started a run-off.

·
Registered
200 Posts
jrisapirate,when we charter we all share the fish,after all everyone is paying for the boat so everyone should have some fish to go home with ,but if someone is not catching BECAUSE they don,t know how to set the hook ,than show them,if they don,t listen than we break there stones and make them buy the beer or sometimes we will make the guy that didn,t catch any clean all the fish,
regards,steve

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
On my Bahama trips we share the catch. Some do better than others on the bottom. If someone catches an outstanding fish I make sure that guy gets those fillets but otherwise i divide the catch evenly.
Mahi and wahoo are thick over there but you never know who's turn in the chair will yield what. I had one group where one fellow caught all nine wahoo during their trip. Again I just split stuff up even as can be.
I should note though. Seldom if ever are the parties able to tote all the fish they catch.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i say we cut the wings off of the skates and give it to them...

just kidding, (50% of what you kid about is true) you guys are right everyone is paying so they should go home with something.

other than my fish....

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I always share on open boat charters in Hatteras. But once in a while there is some hillbilly that wants to keep everything he catches even false albies. But outlaw is right next time you might get skunked and you might be with some real sharpies that have the right touch. And you will want some.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I rarely keep my catch but would share if I did.

As a matter of fact, I have only kept two stripers all year and gave them both away at the dock.

·
Registered
326 Posts
On my boat the general rule is that we share whatever we catch. I usually divide the catch by household and adjust for the number of mouths at each house. In other words, my brother in law with three kids usually gets a little more than a friend who has no family or kids.

Sharing the catch encourages the less skilled anglers to go out and it eliminates some of the competition in the boat (although my nephew is always telling me how he caught the most and the biggest fish!).

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.