BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From (www.webspawner.com/users/jmann2002 )

Breaking news -- June 7

I?ve just had a confirmed shark attack in Surf City.
No, this is not one of my leads into a fun story.
A 17-year-old Forked River surfer was actually bitten over the weekend. He had lost his board in small surf and began swimming for it. He was wearing a wetsuit without booties.
While kicking for the board, he felt something akin to a baseball bat hit his leg. Knowing something was wrong, he paddled in.
On the beach, the surfer signaled over his older brother. The two examined the surfer?s legs, noticing his foot area was bleeding badly. The foot was seriously gashed. The older brother insisted on immediately heading over to Southern Ocean County Hospital.
At the hospital, the wetsuit was cut off the surfer to reveal serious puncture wounds of the foot and ankle.
After initial treatment, the hospital photographed the apparent bite and contacted a Florida shark expert, sending pictures over the Internet. The expert quickly confirmed it was, in fact, a shark bite and guessed either a white shark or a sand bar shark was the culprit.
The foot was treated and bandaged at SOCH and the waverider was released.
The young surfer is now laid up, taking medications for infections and waiting for the initial inflammation to decrease so doctors can do further tests to determine whether any tendon or ligament damage was done.
I have the exact names and incidentals on this incident but will allow SandPaper writer Dan S. to offer all that in the story he is writing up for tomorrow?s issue.
By way of anecdotal input, anglers have been catching brown sharks in the surf. These are undoubtedly ravenously dining upon the cow-nose rays already in the surf. Yes, it?s very early in the season for these summerish rays. To sharks, stingrays are like pizzas with wings, one of their favorite foodstuffs. My guess is an aggressive ray-eating shark (many shark species eat the rays so there?s no exact guessing there) mistook the surfer?s kicking foot for a ray?s wing. Since the surfer was wearing a black wetsuit without booties, a shark would only see the white of the foot ? a ray-sized tid-bit.
It might be the first shark attack on the Jersey shore in over 30 years.
You?ll obviously be reading much more on this.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
You think that's scary I was bit by a skate today.
Left index finger while removing a hook.
The SOB drew blood!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
:eek:

[ 06-08-2005, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Bridge Kid ]

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
THE EXPERT SAID THE BITE WAS FROM EITHER A WHITE OR SAND BAR SHARK.IK THINK THE WOUND WOULD BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT?????

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Surfer Apparently Bitten By Shark At Shore

POSTED: 7:47 am EDT June 8, 2005
UPDATED: 7:51 am EDT June 8, 2005

SURF CITY BOROUGH, N.J. -- It could be New Jersey's first shark attack in 30 years.

Slideshow: NBC 10's Amy Freeze Swims With Sharks At Aquarium
Slideshow (April): Sharks Decide To Visit Florida

A 17-year-old surfer, Ryan Horton, was catching some waves near Surf City on Long Beach Island when he felt a pain in his ankle he described as being hit by a baseball bat.

Horton paddled back to shore, and his brother took him to the hospital. There his bloody wound, about three and a half inches long and one inch wide, was sewn up with more than 50 stitches.

The surfer never saw what got him, but his mom sent a picture of the bite to a shark expert in Florida.

The verdict? The expert said it was a classic shark bite, probably from a young great white.

Surf City officials say from time to time shark encounters are inevitable living by the ocean.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!

Originally posted by Bgsdad:
The SOB drew blood!
Id take a ray bite over a shark bite any day of the week man!!! :D

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Originally posted by Bgsdad:
The SOB drew blood!
A friend of mine broke into tears one time when a skate got ahold of his finger...I had to cut the skates lips off to get his finger out! I LMAO :D

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Surfer may have been bit by shark

Doubt expressed in Surf City

Published in the Asbury Park Press 06/8/05
BY GREGORY J. VOLPE
MANAHAWKIN BUREAU

(STAFF PHOTO: STEVE SCHOLFIELD
Ryan Horton's right foot remains in a cast after being bitten by what doctors and a shark expert say was a shark while he was surfing in the ocean off Surf City.

SURF CITY ? A 17-year-old surfer from Lacey Township said he was bitten by a shark Sunday while surfing off 18th Street.

"I was surfing. I was up, and then I fell off and it felt like a baseball bat had whacked my foot," said Ryan Horton. "He bit into my foot and tore off a big part of flesh and skin."

Yet borough officials are not convinced after being notified of the incident through a police report.

"It's an alleged shark bite," Police Chief William Collins said Tuesday. "Obviously, the kid got hurt in the water. There's a lot of bluefish and there's sharks in the ocean. We don't know what happened."

An emergency room doctor and Horton's podiatrist told the teen it was a shark bite, he said.

George Burgess, curator of the International Shark Attack File, also confirmed it was a shark bite after seeing photographs of Horton's wound.

According to Burgess, it is New Jersey's first unprovoked shark bite in 30 years and just 16th ever in the state. He also said it's the first shark bite in the United States north of Florida this year.

Two summers ago, 17-year-old Garrett Mink of Harvey Cedars said he and a friend saw what they believed was a brown shark as they surfed in the waters off that borough's Cape May Avenue.

"We were paddling out a couple feet from each other, and the shark swam between us," Mink said.

As he looked out over the same waters Tuesday, Mink watched with disdain as more than a dozen surfers crowded one of his favorite surfing places.

"These guys, they're all from out of town. If there's a shark, that would actually help me," Mink quipped.

Phil Ravendo of Las Vegas was relaxing under the sun at Surf City's Second Street beach where he's renting a house for the summer.

A musician for Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, Ravendo said he's had the opportunity to swim with sharks in the Grand Cayman Islands.

"I'm sure this happens, but I'm a little skeptical," he said. "If it was a shark, maybe it was a lost or injured shark that got freaked out."

Ship Bottom Beach Patrol Captain Keith Stokes was a lifeguard in Honolulu, where shark sightings are more common.

"You need more than a kid and two physicians saying it was a shark bite," Stokes said. "Before you can say it's a shark bite, you need a shark expert, a marine biologist, to declare it a shark bite.

"I've seen people freak out in the water, because they've been bit by a skate or a bluefish," he said.

Dr. Richard G. Fernicola, a doctor of pain management and author of a book about the 1916 shark attacks at the Jersey Shore, the real life inspiration for the Jaws movies, said it's unusual for doctors to say the injury was from a shark.

"A doctor in the emergency room would never say it was a shark bite unless they were certain because of all the unnecessary hysteria it would cause," he said. "One shark attack can really decimate an economy really quickly."

A Southern Ocean County Hospital spokeswoman denied a request to interview the emergency room doctor who first treated Horton.

Mayor Leonard T. Connors Jr. said he's caught several sharks while fishing in the surf. He stressed that shark bites are rare, but not unheard of.

"Anybody who thinks they can go into the water without the remote possibility of encountering a shark is kidding themselves," he said. "But I think it's so remote and rare I wouldn't worry about it."

It's been nearly 30 years ? the anniversary of the film "Jaws" ? since there was an unprovoked shark bite in New Jersey, Burgess said. A man was standing in the water at Sandy Hook when he was grabbed on Oct. 21, 1975, Burgess said. The last New Jersey fatality from a shark was in 1926.

Often, when sharks bite humans, they quickly let go and retreat, as in Horton's account. Burgess said it's usually a case of mistaken identity when the shark expects to be biting fish and lets go when the object doesn't taste like fish, or is bigger than expected.

Horton expects a full recovery.

[ 06-08-2005, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
THE EXPERT SAID THE BITE WAS FROM EITHER A WHITE OR SAND BAR SHARK.IK THINK THE WOUND WOULD BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT?????
You know something Jack, I was thinking the same exact thing! The teeth of the 2 fish are very different in shape, size, type and serrations. I am sure it is very difficult to distinguish the 2 after a bite through a suit and with a thrashing bite. It sounds like the scientist wanted his name in the paper...Nothing gets it there faster than a great white!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I sure hope my wife doesn't hear about this. She
moved out here from the midwest and is terrified
of sharks. I had to tell her over and over that
there has never been a shark attack in Jersey
since I've lived here...can't say that anymore ;)

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I'M GUESSING IT WAS A BLUEFISH

YES - THEY DO BITE SWIMMERS - NOT JUST FISHERMEN.

AN OLD FRIEND OF MINE GOT A 2 INCH CHUNK OUT OF HIS LEFT CALF WHILE SURFING IN SURF CITY. BLUEFISH BIT THRU HIS WETSUIT WHILE HE WS SITTING UP WAITING FOR A WAVE.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
With the size of the blues running right now, I'd stick with the blue explanation than anything else.

It's also quite funny how they instantly thought "great white". I'm sure all the brown sharks/rays/dolphins seen around here in the summer/fall by tourists are great whites as well... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,261 Posts

[ 06-08-2005, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts

OUCH !!!!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
If that's a shark bite it appears that his whole foot would have been in the sharks mouth,so there should be teeth marks on the bottom of his foot as well right?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
This won't be the last one and I don't think it was a White. Sandbar/dusky the same one that SENMFS says we can't catch till July 15.

To the young man and his family I feel sorry for ya.

Sandbars are the ones that ya see on the news swimmin along the surf line.

I did have a white last year on the beach and I had one last week in the trunk 53 miles from the Cape May bell.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts