BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to hear arguments on the most productive way to chum for sharks. I've always tied a bucket of chum over the side near some structure so the wave action carries away a stream of scent. I've never been any good at sharking either.

I've also seen 50 gallon drums fulled with all means of blood and guts, gallons of water, and pumped over the side at a slow rate. I look out back and I've got a plastic drum perfect for this style, hence my question.

What's your preferred technique and why?

Fred

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track with the frozen chum hanging over the side.It's finding the "right" structure with the right water/bait that helps.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I learned from some of the best. We use the 50 gallon drum along with the frozen chum bucket. We also chunk pieces of mackeral or bunker every 5 minutes or so. Still, all in all, boils down to being where the structure is and the bait. Lastly is the water temp. Just in my opinion. HAve caught a mako in 55 degree water, that is why i put this on the list last of importants.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Tro frozen 5 gallon buckets upside down in a square milk crate. One at the bow and one in the stern. Hanging just low enough to slap the water with the rock of the boat:thumbsup: Location and conditions help too but this is my preferred chum method!

I have made my own frozen 5 gallon mixtures of grinded bluefish, bunker oil, and bunker. (Good excuse to hold onto your blues) Unfornunately, you need a real powerful grinder to crush up the blues as they jam it up easily with the skin, etc... Regardless, I have had success with both:thumbsup:

I did see on a show the method you were mentioning with the 50 gallon drum pumping water over a frozen ball of chum.. Looks easy to set up but will stick with above mentioned method!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
kittens

We bring at least two dozen kittens. Mostly females, they scream more. If you are good, you can get two baits each.:):razz:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Fresh chum

make sure its fresh we make our own plan on making a mackerel trip freeze them then when the bunker show up break out the grinder and the grill and have a party. spice it up however you like i like to mix a little oatmeal and sand to disperse the copious ampounts of bunker oil i add.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
have a water reading then find the best starting point that will take you over some good structure. have some liquid chum and either pump or pour it for a 1/4 or 1/2 mile along your drift line. i believe you can't chum too much-- some disagree. one important tip i learned from capt. dan guss---don't relax pay attention to your slick at all times and know what bait is where and at what depth and how long has it been out.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
our best results have been with 1) bluefish chum frozen, and put in canyon bag 2) bluefish carcasses strung together on a rope (fresh or frozen) 3) bunker oil in IV drip bag...4) water temp and structure....5) prime slick by pumping blood out of fish box before you set up for drift!

worst results were when we had the bucket of chicken blood, beaks, parts.....nasty smelling slick...but we had no wind or drift. As close to blowing chow as i have come....and i thought the mouth smelled bad!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
We use 5 gallon buckets of chum, upside down in a milk crate. We usually keep them frozen so they put out a nice slow steady chum slick and last a while. Also mix in bunker, bluefish and mackeral chunks every few minutes and we also have an IV of bunker oil.

·
Registered
428 Posts
We use a lot of chum - Run about 4 buckets at a time, dumped from bucket into Canyon bags and in the water to let it out fast - Lucky to get 2 hours out of each bucket. 2 Bluefish and 2 bunker. We also throw chunks of whatever we have and squirt menhaden milk. Constantly watch slick and change baits every half hour. Our theory is that a shark is not going to get full on the chum slick, much like my fat AZZ does not get full at the cocktail hour!

·
Registered
390 Posts
We have an angus farm down the road from us... Farmer hooks us up with loads of blood. For some reason the mammal blood is a lot better than fish blood.....

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
My favorite method is to put the chum in the water :D

On a serious note, I've heard that animal blood is ineffective. Sharks don't eat any sort of animals naturally besides the occasional whale/dolphin (sea lions, seals in other areas). Having said that, never tried it.

We usually hang 1-2 buckets in the water. We'll chum with bluefish scraps as well.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have a milk crate that I have taken a pool noodle and surrounded the top of the crate with them using zip-ties. This allows the crate to float and protects your boat if the crate bangs into it. Whatever bluefish get caught get cleaned and the racks go in the crate. I put the entire bucket of chum in the crate without the top on and let it thaw out. After a few minutes I dump the chum into the crate, this puts out a nice slick.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Man there's a lot of crazy different ways here.. I have been guilty of crazy too many, many times.. I have taken fresh road kill, beef blood, pork blood.. Got a crazy with that stuff... It makes lil to no difference in my experience.. Well cept you won't be picking deer ticks of you and crew for the entire trip... YES, I had a very large roadkill animal on a 80 at one point.. That is what happens when you have a dad that lets a teenager do what he wants...:D

Get a couple buckets of chum, if your on a budget don't get crazy one chum at a time will do it buddy.. Two buckets will last you the day on the prime shark season.. Spice it up if you like... However, it is not neccessary.. Put the buckets upside down in a small milkcrate as the boat rocks it will suck the chum out of the bucket.. it's all you need..

This is for the guys that are new that may not have days to prepare for each trip, or the freezer space of a bait store.. No knockinig anyones "way" of doing their thing. Just considering some of those newer folks reading this and don't want those to think it is imperative to have 50 gallons of chum and a dead cow to catch a mako..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts