BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my bay boat down to Shark River today to try to find some flounder. Had one 11.5" right off the bat in the typical flounder spot and that was it all day. Went everywhere from in the very back out towards the inlet chumming heavy and not another touch. It didn't seem like anyone else did anything either.
Almost got run over by some guy in a 30' or so express running in that narrow channel from the Belmar fuel docks to North Channel. I slowed down to idle around the turn and went to the extreme right side of the chanel. He stayed on plane around the turn, pushing me onto the bar there and swamping me multiple times. After that I called it a day because I was so mad.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That place is funny, on opening day everyone gets their limit, and then after that no one catches much. It's almost as if it gets fished out after the first day.

·
Registered
325 Posts
well the shark has bin slow for a lot of people there have bin very few people who got there limits i know i have bin fishing there try rb limits are comeing from there

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
you can thank the fyke net guy, by the tennis courts he pulled tons of flounder out of there all winter long,,,I saw him take six tupperware tubs of flounder out of the river one day, before I went to work.,,

Liv 2 Fish
Forced 2 Work..

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is he fyke netting in open water. I thought that was only a small creek/stream thing and had no idea they did that for flounder.

·
Registered
168 Posts
chunk said:
That place is funny, on opening day everyone gets their limit, and then after that no one catches much. It's almost as if it gets fished out after the first day.
I was there at 7:00 AM and fished several places from the inlet to SR Hills. We got skunked. I saw some people with some fish, but everybody with their limit? I think the massive chum effort raises some of the sluggish fish and others stagger out as the days go on. But, line fisherman are hardly capable of "fishing out" that area. Read up on the fyke nets. They'd been sucking flounder out of the river for months.

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
Joseph Lamberty said:
you can thank the fyke net guy, by the tennis courts he pulled tons of flounder out of there all winter long,,,I saw him take six tupperware tubs of flounder out of the river one day, before I went to work.,,

Liv 2 Fish
Forced 2 Work..
Yup, he does a # on the W. Flounder in the river...he had nets set up on the west side of the river as well the past several years. I didn't see the nets in this year but I haven't been over that way either. Those nets fish 24/7....but it's legal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The netting is done in the Manasquan also by the island.There us to be such a great fishery up by Crystal Point and the last couple of years I was catching 1 or 2 fish all day.Doesnt look to good anymore-Pat L

1 - 8 of 8 Posts