BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now assuming you are not going to set it free how do you guys land a shark? I don't like the idea of a gun on the boat, and the flying gaff is a scary contraption. We have a large flying gaff, we have a tail rope, and we have a standard el cheapo gaff that we use for tuna. Anyone here use a harpoon? These guys (click here) have a small harpoon that is cheap. I don't think they give you darts with it though. I don't want anything I am going to throw I just want something to stick the fish with when it is boatside and still quite green. We have lost makos because we were afraid to gaff them with so much spunk when they were well within range. I have been looking at the poon harpoon but they are pricy and I don't need an 8 foot pole, nor am I going to be throwing it.

Anyone know the legality of a bang stick on board? They seem slightly less scary than a handgun and are somewhat cheap.

In the past the only sharks we have taken home have been gut hooks, or dead when they arrived at the side of the boat (ie gill hook that bled out). This year I want to get something good for the grill and that means we might have to actually kill one ahah. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
We usually just gaff them with a straight gaff in the mouth. A much larger fish would reuire gaffing rear of the dorsel fin and a flyer. We have gaffed tons of them but We no longer do it as they tear up the gelcoat on the side of the boat or if you have a painted hull even worse,

As you said you don't like guns but they work well to keep boat damage to a minumum. Our procedure is wire fish bring head along side put shotgun barrel 3" from head (apox) and lay a round in and gaff imediatly with a straight gaff. We have a stainless steel moosberg with a very short barrel. We only load one shell and use it wisely. (a shot gun IMO is much safer than any pistol) You must be ready to gaff just in case you hit wire. We have never hit wire because we aim in a manner that won't comprise the leader but it could happen which is why we are ready with gaff. I would love to go back the days of fly gaffing them but quite honestly we have a lot of money tied up in boats so we do what we can to protect them. We dont kill but a few sharks each year only for charter customers and rarely under 78" and never less than 72".

Two years ago we gaffed one and its face smooshed into the side of the boat scraping paint and gelcoat off with its teeth. $500 later the boat was fixed.

PS no darts, its cheating IMO plus its another thing on the boat you have to carry around. Just what we need more gear.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Bang Stick - safe and gets the job done. Still need a fly gaff in the shark to control - think using straight gaffs is asking for trouble unless you're planning on killing smaller sharks (<125lbs).

·
Registered
988 Posts
As you said you don't like guns but they work well to keep boat damage to a minumum. Our procedure is wire fish bring head along side put shotgun barrel 3" from head (apox) and lay a round in and gaff imediatly with a straight gaff. We have a stainless steel moosberg with a very short barrel. We only load one shell and use it wisely. (a shot gun IMO is much safer than any pistol)

With a 12 guage shot gun, what shell would you recommend using ?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the poon idea

We had a large mako a few years back that we could not tire out. It was to the boat within gaffing range at least 4 times and every time it would torpedo back down. We lost the fish after ~7 hours fighting it. A shotgun would have worked wonders...I don't want a gun on board as I don't know the legalities of it and a harpoon seems sporting to me somewhat...more of a hunt.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
we shoot em.. one guy with the gun.. thats his job while we are landing the fish.. hit it with the 410 slug, gaff in the mouth if its open or under the jaw... tail rope on right after that.. the slug stuns them enough when its 3-6in from the head that you can get a clean gaff shot and tail rope on...

book a shark charter and watch what we do and do as we do which we think is safe for the people on the boat.. also we only use a single shot shot gun...

·
Registered
292 Posts
A little advise. At the end game when bringing a Mako along side to be harvested. The boat should be in gear and moving foward at idel speed or just above.. Foward motion with the mako along side makes the end game much easier and safer.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
A little advise. At the end game when bringing a Mako along side to be harvested. The boat should be in gear and moving foward at idel speed or just above.. Foward motion with the mako along side makes the end game much easier and safer.

Thats true but when you trying to get numbers up and releaseing we do from dead boat. Even whe harvesting all but the largest we do from dead boat. I would proablly tell a beginner what u just said.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Gaff um in the gill.. about the third rake back...

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Gaff in the gill and bang stick top of head game over if you want a challenge,one nite I woke up to hear banging I come out of the cabin to find everyone on the bridge and a 5 footer bashing up the cockpit ,I was so pist I jumped on his back and stuck him with a 4 inch pocket knife ,after I will tell you it was dumb but at the time I was pist ,just so u know they can turn there head completely around make sure you hold onto the snout without inserting hand,so inshort safest with a bang stick I think we paid $180

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bang Stick, couple inches back between it's eyes. Followed by gaff to the gills, (Flyer or dart if very big shark). We also switched to blanks for the Bang Stick. Never seen a shark survive the blast, except for a few missed shots that hit the gills.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For smaller legal makos, a straight gaff into gills, then 12 gauge blast to top of head. For better legal makos around 200+ pounds, definitely flygaff to dorsal area, then straight gaff to mouth/gills, then shotgun blast. These bigger makos can easily break/twist straight gaffs to the head (even high quality gaffs).

·
Registered
453 Posts
after shark is on board take a 5 gallon bucket and 2 landscape spikes(8 or 9 inch) .....put bucket over sharks head and drive the spike into the shark opposite each other then take bungee cords and wrap them around bucket and onto spikes ...now you don't have to worry about slipping and sticking foot in...Make sure you drill holes in bucket before you leave dock .... makes things easier ..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts