BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Vendor
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always used wire leader but thinking about a switch to cable??? What do you guys think about cable as opposed to wire??? Plus and minus of each???
Thanks for any help???

·
Registered
292 Posts
25' mono x hard windon leader, to a large (800lb) lb barrel swivel to 4' to 6' of solid wire to the hook. Mono windon gets offshore loop and crimped to the swivel, solid wire gets haywire twist to swivel and hook.

·
Registered
684 Posts
both

I like to rig using 2' of wire from hook to a swivel and then 7' of cable to another swivel. The advantage of the 2' wire is that the sharks teeth is less likely to split and or break off the wire than cable. The advantage of having the cable for the next 7' is it wont kink as easly while the shark is spinning. An added bonus to the swivel in the center is it gives you something to grab onto while leadering the fish.

·
Registered
534 Posts
We use both. Specifically, we connect a four to six foot length of heavy single strand wire to the hook and then connect the single strand wire to a barrel swivel and a 10 foot length of cable. This apprach seems ot be very effective. Do not under any circumstance connect the cable directly to the hook as sharks can chew through cable especially during a prolonged battle with a large mako or a thresher.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
what we use, (along with alot of very good shark fishermen from mauntauk to maryland)
is 3' of wire haywired to the a needle eye offset J hook, haywired to a ballbearing snap swivel crimped to 10' 500# mono windon that is either connected to the mainline via loop to loop, or spliced directly.

the mono serves as nothing more than chafe protection, and the ball bearing snap swivel allows you to quickly change out your section of wire to re rig baits, or swap out wire if it becomes kinked.

we will have a variety of baits rigged on sections of wire on ice ready to be deployed if we need to change baits frequenty due to bluefish or bluesharks, which equals more time with good baits in the water

·
Vendor
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WoW!!!
Was hoping to get a majority rule on this one.
I guess is it a Ford/Chevy debate. lol..

Thanks for any and all help on this one..

I will keep reading all posts on this thread and take what I think will work best.

We always had good luck with single stand wire. But if there was a better method I/we were open to any ideas.

Good Luck this season.
Smitty

·
Banned
3,874 Posts
i don't think it matters, shark aren't leader shy either way,
i've used wire and and combinations or wire and cable and both work fine, like said before its easier on the leader guy if you use cable, but don't use all cable, the teeth of a shark can fray it, alot of guys use heavy mono and circle hooks and do great with it but it goes against everything i've ever learned about sharking

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
6 feet of multi stran to 6 feet of single stran with a weighted barrel swivel. the reason being is you need 12 feet of leader for anything worth while and when you fight a good fish the wire is shot at the terminal tackle so you only need to change the 6 feet of wire then 12 feet of wire plue 12 feet of wire will kink easy and 12 feet of cable is too expensive good luck

·
Registered
591 Posts
Whatever combination of single strand wire, cable, or mono you are using to make your shark rigs you should consider one of these 3oz lead swivels in the mix.

They are a neat way to add a little weight to your rig but they more importantly fit in the palm of your hand. There is no need to ever take a wrap of the leader, which in many cases cause real problems. Just grab the swivel and if you have to let go just open your hand and it all fall out. A whole lot safer.
View attachment 53988

They come with a Tuna Snap, Cork Screw Snap or with no snap.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Whatever combination of single strand wire, cable, or mono you are using to make your shark rigs you should consider one of these 3oz lead swivels in the mix.

They are a neat way to add a little weight to your rig but they more importantly fit in the palm of your hand. There is no need to ever take a wrap of the leader, which in many cases cause real problems. Just grab the swivel and if you have to let go just open your hand and it all fall out. A whole lot safer.
View attachment 53988

They come with a Tuna Snap, Cork Screw Snap or with no snap.
Chuck,
I like the idea of the big weighted swivel however #1 i dont like a snap anyplace near what i am grabing while leadering sharks, and what i grab is the swivel so the plain barrel would be the only one i would use. #2 if they came in something with a bit more weight (Perhaps 4 to 6 oz.+) it would be better. 2 or 3 ounces does little to keep a large bait (Bluefish filet or butterfly mac) at depth in a fair or hard tide or fast drift.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Never grab a swivel while leadering any type of fish your asking for disaster. The tag end of the snap can and will go thru your gloves slicing you wide open if the fish takes a sudden run. You can also unsnap the swivel by accident when you grab it resulting in a lost fish.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Stranded cable to a shark is like you putting tinfoil in your mouth. The stranded cable puts off a bad vibe that game sharks don't like very mutch. So I have been told. You will loose fish but heavy mono is the way to go if you want to have more action. Single strand wire is what we always used in the past but we are doing more with the mono.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.