BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...anyone here every go sharking on a Kayak? It seems like it would be easy enough to paddle out a mile or two and tie off a smaller bucket of chum. Anyone here ever land one like this?

·
Registered
865 Posts
lol sounds like fun....til they hop between your legs and bite.....lmao....Im sure there are some guys who would....but i wouldnt want to try it. Your at the water level big enough shark could flip you or even a thresher tail swipe who knows. Good luck either way haha

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I've never done it but I know guys who have. It's insane, but it can be done. Be ready to end up like your namesakes great story...(that would be old man and the sea)

·
Registered
578 Posts
When you say sharking, I am going to assume Threshers.............
As Quint would have sang....................................................................................................................................................... Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again:D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I got into lemon sharks on my kayak in the keys a couple of years ago. They were a blast on light tackle. Prob 25lbers. But i clipped the leaders as close as i felt was safe for me. I dont know about landing a shark but u can def c&r them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey Pennsy guy.....that's me holding that monster shark from Myrtle Beach!!!! LOL LOL You found that picture quicker than I could!

I vacation in Myrtle Beach SC every year with the family and take my kayak with me. Catching sharks is easier than catching the live bait for the sharks. I have had many days with 10-15 sharks up to 6 feet long for the few hours that I go out..if the conditions permit. I catch the bait a few hundred yards off the beach, head out about 1/2 mile, drop the live bait down and hold on!

If I can see the hook exposed enough, I will try to remove it with an 18" hook remover. If I can't see the whole hook, I just take a few pictures and cut the wire.

As far as the second picture with the salmon sharks....those are 3 of the guys I travel with to Alaska and Mexico and different areas with. All of the guys are hard core and are always looking for a new challange.

This year for us, it looks like PV Mexico for BIG TUNA, staying in a 50 foot boat for a week, 100 miles off the coast and waking up each morning ready to launch the kayaks about 10 minutes after breakfast.

Danny V

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Know guys that have hooked em down here in fl.... you get towed around quite a bit thats for sure... just be careful and release them a safe distance away. Ill probably end up doing it myself sometime.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.