BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new Shimano Baitrunner Reel for Xmas and wondering how this will hold up for Striper Fishing and what type of line to use on it?:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
one of the best

one of the best if not the best spinners for beach there is.
great for dead stickin. any braid in the 50lb. line class will be fine
my personal favort spinner

·
Registered
16 Posts
I dont have an 8000...but I have (3) 6000D's....and have 2 with 30# powerPro and the other with 50#... Mono backing of course... Also like Sufix as well...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the 8000 & 6000 love both of them not much difference in the size or weight of the two only in line capacity. These reels are very versatile for many species especially bass from the surf and they are equally excellent fishing from a boat. As far as line I have 30lb on the 6000 and 50 lb on the 8000. Enjoy your new reel.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got a 8000D for Christmas and spooled it with 50lb Momoi Diamond braid with 30lb mono backing. Haven't been able to cast it yet but it is worth every penny!

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Crazy versitile reels.

Can use them for virtually anything from chunking, throwing big surf baits with lead, casting plugs or snagging hooks (a little heavy for all day casting, but totally functional) to trolling. Use them for all these functions and have never had any problems with them.

I have two on Shimano Tallus Blue Water rods and plan on buying two more. Have taken the reels off these rods and taken them to the beach to stake up with my big surf rods as well.

Great reels, great price. Have 50# PP on them.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I just picked up Tallus Blue Water on Friday from Tackle Direct for my 8000; it is a great set up for just about anything I plan on doing with it.

p.s. if you have not been to the new store it’s a must see. They have just about everything you will need and it’s laid out very well.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I just picked up Tallus Blue Water on Friday from Tackle Direct for my 8000; it is a great set up for just about anything I plan on doing with it.

p.s. if you have not been to the new store it’s a must see. They have just about everything you will need and it’s laid out very well.

I gotta get this guy on the payroll :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Crazy versitile reels.

Can use them for virtually anything from chunking, throwing big surf baits with lead, casting plugs or snagging hooks (a little heavy for all day casting, but totally functional) to trolling. Use them for all these functions and have never had any problems with them.

I have two on Shimano Tallus Blue Water rods and plan on buying two more. Have taken the reels off these rods and taken them to the beach to stake up with my big surf rods as well.

Great reels, great price. Have 50# PP on them.
Weighing in at 21.7oz it isn't much heavier than most reels in its category. In fact it's lighter than most with or without the live lining feature. All in all a great reel.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Weighing in at 21.7oz it isn't much heavier than most reels in its category. In fact it's lighter than most with or without the live lining feature. All in all a great reel.
Was not suggesting it was heavy for a reel in it's class... was suggesting that any reel in it's class that weighs that much is not my idea of a good reel to plug all day with.... but it still can be used should you choose to. I plug with a 12 oz reel.. big difference.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Definitely a great reel , but i agree with fmtuna, it. Is not my reel of choice for all day plugging . It will w ear you out with the weight.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Was not suggesting it was heavy for a reel in it's class... was suggesting that any reel in it's class that weighs that much is not my idea of a good reel to plug all day with.... but it still can be used should you choose to. I plug with a 12 oz reel.. big difference.
Agree also afew ounces to heavy to cast all day

·
Registered
202 Posts
Fm what's your go to plugging reel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts