BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to cash in all my gift cards and try a Shimano reel out. I wanted something I could use for fresh and light salt. Purchased the stradic 2500 spooled with 6 & 10 lb line and a new 5ft 2pc lite ugly stick to go along with it.

I like the set up and can't wait to try it out. However, while playing with it I notice the bail seems to get stuck. It appears to be getting better the more I play with it but never had this happen with a reel out of the box before. All my other reels are penn spincasters and abu baitcasters. Is this common with this reel?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
No , sounds like you have a problem. Take it back to the store and see if they'll do an exchange for another one.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
if it is what i think it is - it is a design feature. i hope i make sense here.

a dawg is put at the end of the spin rotation so that during the cast, if the spools begins to gain speed and rotate towards the dawg, the bail does not close during the cast. in older reels across all manufacturers, the bail would close prematurely on occassions. if you ever recall the lure flying back at you or breaking your line because the bail closed during the cast, you know what I am talking about. If you don't, boy am I getting old.

anyway, if the spool is at the end of its rotation and you tried to close the bail with the handle, it gets stuck. the dawg is doing what it is suppose to do. simply close the bail by hand. then, move the handle just a little. open the bail and try to close again with the handle. it should close rather easily. otherwise, take it back

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Take it back immediately. You paid a pretty penny for a nice reel, it should work perfectly. I have a 2000 Stradic and the spool does not bob up and down causing the line to gather at mid spool. I emailed Shimano for info on reel repair and they emailed me back saying they no longer fix the 2000, so I'm sh*t out of luck. Take it Back!

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Tedman27 said:
Take it back immediately. You paid a pretty penny for a nice reel, it should work perfectly. I have a 2000 Stradic and the spool does not bob up and down causing the line to gather at mid spool. I emailed Shimano for info on reel repair and they emailed me back saying they no longer fix the 2000, so I'm sh*t out of luck. Take it Back!
Mail it back to shimano Tedman and see what they do. I have heard alot of great things about their costumer service dept. You might get something new & comprable back in the mail. Just a thought.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did go back to the store last night to see about the exchange. Took two others out of the box they did the same thing. Looked at the next size up (4000?) and also did the same thing. Took the spool off and it still happened on all of them.

So maybe it is a design feature that I just got to get used to as stated above? I suspect this because what are the chances of all the reels at the store having the same problem?

Anyone out here have this reel and exerpience the same thing?

I have 30 days to try it out and see. I think I'll try it out in a few ponds for some trout and see how it works. But until then this is making me nuts.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
My buddy is a steelhead guide up north and he has four of the 3000 model and had the same problem. He said the more you use them the better they get......Greg.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey there Dogface. Thanks for the reponse. How do like that reel? Thinking about taking a extended weekend to give it wokout on some pickerl ponds i know of.

·
Registered
498 Posts
lbisuds said:
Hey there Dogface. Thanks for the reponse. How do like that reel? Thinking about taking a extended weekend to give it wokout on some pickerl ponds i know of.
I have used it on three trips so far. I experienced the same problem you have but if I stop the bail with the line under my finger I don't have the problem.....at least I don't notice it when casting a lot. I guess it's just something I'm getting use to.

It is a very well made reel but I would like to use it for awhile before I recommend it over others.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'de take it back right away and switch it out with another 1.The stradic is a nice reel and after paying what ya did for it you don't want to start off with problems.Only other advice I would give is while swappin out your stradic for a new one take back that 5' two piece ugly stick while you're at it.Just my opinion but pairing up an ugly stick (especially a 2 piece) with a stradic is like puttin a bow tie on a turd.;) Ya just paid good money 4 a nice reel.Pair it up with a nice rod.Not bustin stones bro.....just giving an opinion.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hawg-catcher said:
Just my opinion but pairing up an ugly stick (especially a 2 piece) with a stradic is like puttin a bow tie on a turd.;) Ya just paid good money 4 a nice reel.Pair it up with a nice rod.Not bustin stones bro.....just giving an opinion.
I hear what you are saying but I really like the ugly sticks. I even have used them offshore and they worked good. Plus the few times I have gotten a really nice rod I broke the tip in just a few weeks.

I'm also the guy on the beach fishing one those big white 2 pc surf poles from xmart on that I have penn 6500 spinner but I tell ya people stop laughing once you start landing fish and they just watching you and their fancy set ups aren't catching anything:D. I think I've benn using this set up for over ten years and I'm just too use to it to try something different.

About the nicest rod I have now is a shimano compre paired to a abu 6500c3 bait caster with 30LB braid. This set up kicks *** for fluke & inshore sea bass and also have taken plenty of stripers off the inlets rocks while claming. Just got a heavier shimano rod and put my abu 7000 on with 20LB diamond for some heavy stuff (bunker chunks).

I'm just getting back into the fresh though so the stradic will double duty as my freshwate reel and some light bay action. I have been fishing the spring striper on the big D for the last 10 years but outside of that and some small local lakes and creeks I haven't really done much freshwater up to now. My little girl wants daddy to take her "ishing" so I started with fresh and thats where I'll start her.

However, if I were to consider a nicer rod can you give me some suggestions? (off the shelf)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey lbisuds.First and formost thank you for not taking offense to my post on this thread.I really wasn't rying to bust stones with my ugly stick comment.The 1 bad thing about posting on the computer is 1 can never tell if a comment is a joke or intentionally made to be nasty.There's never any friendly face to go along with it to tell.Anyway,I do hear ya as far as the saying goes "This fish don't care how expensive your gear is".However I can certainly feel the difference on my end.Since you just paid a decent amount of money for your stradic I sense that you to have noticed the difference in feel a better quality item can be.Since you asked for my opinion on rods without giving me a dollar figure I'll recommened 1 in the mid range price.I truely like using Kistler Helium 2 ltx rods but at $350 a pop not too many people are running out to get 1.For the price I recommend Rogue rods.For about $150 you can get a great rod by them that (in my opinion) compares easily to a $300 G-Loomis.That's coming from a guy who used to use G-Loomis all the time.After trying a Rogue years ago I sold 3 G-Loomis rods (a glx and 2 gl2's) because I felt the Rogue outperformed them.Only place I know that has a nice variety in stock is Harry's.Again,just my opinion since you asked.Hope it helps.:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I am verry disapointed with my new Stradic. It "binds"or sticks while reeling in. Sent it to Shimmano, they said nothing is wrong, still binds up. Talked to other owners, apparently the new ones don't work in cold weather. The spool rubbs the arbor due to bearing problem. Just hearsay, but mine doesn't work anytime its cold
Its Penn& Diawa for me in the future. My $30 Shimano reels seem to work better than the Stradic

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I'll check in with shimano tomorrow. seems like a lot of problems on here regarding that reel. all i know is that my 5,000 - 4,000 were used up to dec 10th to no binding or sticking. I used my 2500 fi all winter under ice conditions in the river, worked fine. but who knows. if you can, under your reel foot, a letter code exists. if those having problems can email those letters including any dashes etc... i'll get to the bottom of it faster than sending back and forth.

just private email since my email is checked more than i check this site

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm Shocked!

In the last 3 or 4 years shimano has become my favorite reel. I don't have a stradic but my bait-runners work great. for light action i have a "sonoma"($49) and has lasted me 4 years already (with plenty of salt water time.) As for bait casters, i got two cardiffs, and their awesome. maybe someday I'll spring for a calcutta.

i usually flip the bail back by hand anyway. it just seems like a much nicer transition; less wear and tear.

and I'll never buy a 2 piece rod but the ugly stick "lite" is pretty nice; some sort of graphite.

·
Registered
106 Posts
stradic 5000/8000

i have both the 5000 and 8000 and they both do it i called shamino and they told me that it just had to be worn in

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Dogface said:
Mine does the same thing. Just do as Chris says, close it by hand.
after paying over 100$ for a new reel I want it to be near perfect, I would return it for a different company's reel or go with a different model

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like the stradics have 7 of them and a cpl from 6 years ago remember the wooden handles..lol You can call shimano directly or I would just take it back.. I fish just bout every day and I'm kinda rough on my gear....They are good reels.. One thing I found though is the older models hold more line but the spool capacity still reads the same..

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
lbisuds said:
So I decided to cash in all my gift cards and try a Shimano reel out. I wanted something I could use for fresh and light salt. Purchased the stradic 2500 spooled with 6 & 10 lb line and a new 5ft 2pc lite ugly stick to go along with it.

I like the set up and can't wait to try it out. However, while playing with it I notice the bail seems to get stuck. It appears to be getting better the more I play with it but never had this happen with a reel out of the box before. All my other reels are penn spincasters and abu baitcasters. Is this common with this reel?
There are no problems with the reel..You just are not familiar with it ....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts