BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shimano Sustain 6000. I was wondering which sponsor had the best price for this reel, and what do my fellow Barnners think of it. It's for my Lamiglas 9' Tri-Flex TS9MHS surf Rod. Its my understanding the Shimano has a set retail asking price, but it can be sold for a different price. :D

Thanks, Mike

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Mike,
I am a big fan of the Shimano Sustain Series my 4000 is one of my favorite plugging reels to use in the back,great drag system for fighting fish.
The only thing I would say is that its not meant to be dumped in Saltwater like alot of reels I quess. Keep it clean and saltfree.It also has a self-port for oil which makes maintaining it pretty easy.

[ 11-18-2005, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
STRADIC I PERFER BUT HAVE 2 OF THE SUSTAIN-WATCH THE BEARINGS AS NIGHTSTRIKES SAID THEY WILL BUM OUT QUICKLY IF THEY TOUCH THE DRING BUT OVERALL A GOOD REEL.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
YOU CAN ALWAYS CHANGE THE BEARINGS TO A BETTER QUALITY IF YOU LIKE-I DO THAT WITH MY OTHERS.STRADIC IS A LITTLE CHEAPER AND VERY SIMILAR.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got a Stradic from Jon @ Offshore B&T (Barn sponsor, on Maryland Ave. in AC) a couple of years ago.

He'll give you a fair price... tell him Mike from medical center & Bbarn sent you.. he should give you a fair deal..

OK edited sorry

[ 11-19-2005, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: snapper4 ]

·
Registered
31,456 Posts
They are price fixed and anyone selling below can lose their dealership. May want to remove the above post.

They're not salt friendly, I'd take a TDA over them anyday and keep the money in you're pocket.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
NEITHER ARE THE TICA REELS-CRAP PURE CRAP A LITTLE SALT AND THEY ARE MESSED UP.I HAVE HAD 4 STRADICS FOR 6 YEARS WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL JUST THE TWO SUSTAINS HAD MINOR ISSUES BUT I CHANGED THE BEARINGS AND THEY ARE FINE.

[ 11-18-2005, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: REELKNOT ]

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Price is fixed, as Bob stated. I have used the Sustain 4000FB and never had a problem. Rinse lightly with fresh water after each use, and that's about it. It's my most frequently used reel, and it gets ALOT of abuse. It's about 5 years old and still is as smooth as the first day I used it. (and it is very smooth... I love it!!) I do change the line and clean about three times per year.
Also use the Stradic 4000 and never had a problem. Still gets alot of abuse. If I had to choose?.... I'd choose the Sustain. It's a much smoother reel. I normally do not dunk my reels in salt water, therefore would not have to worry about this problem.
I don't think I take above average care of my reels, because I just don't have the time... but these two have never let me down. They have fished New Jersey, Costa Rica, Florida, .... no problem. (Just one woman's opinion....)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info. I started with the Shimano Stradic, then went down to a Shimano Spheros, When my rod and reel was pulled out of the rod holder and into the wash (Blue fish, so I chose a less expensive reel. A little more experienced now, so I'm climbing the reel ladder. Stradic and now thinking Sustain. X-Mas is coming you no. Maybe even Van Staal.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
JUST LIKE STERLING SAID RINSE THEM OFF AND CHANGE THE LINE-I ALWAYS SEND MY REELS OUT EVERYYEAR TO BE BROKEN DOWN,CLEANED,AND REASSEMBLED.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I accidently dropped my Sustain in the drink late last season and it seized up. I sent it back to Shimamo Repairs for a clean up and they sent me back a brand new one along with my old spool and powerpro on it.. Great Service From The Company In My Book Also...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Reelknot,
Where do you send your reels out to get your yearly service done? I've never done it and I have about 10 Shimano reels that I want to have broken down and cleaned up over the winter. (and what does it cost approx). thanks

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Mike

I have a slightly used Sustain 6000 for sale email me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
SUSTAINS have performed great for me the last 10 years....I take care of them, and have never had one serviced.

The STELLA is also a great reel if you have deep pockets :eek:

·
Registered
769 Posts
You can send them back to Shimano in California with a letter. The bill will come a couple weeks later. The cost depends on what reels they are. The address is on the box. Turn around is usually faster than a Penn to Philly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts